WiFi on the Crown Princess

renaissancewoman101

For those of you who have sailed on the Crown Princess after the refurbishment, and used the Wi-Fi, how is it? I am thinking of purchasing a small WiFi package for my Sept 5th Alaskan cruise. I will mainly use the internet for checking bank accounts, and also checking Facebook, and writing one or two emails.

Thanks!

For those of you who have sailed on the Crown Princess after the refurbishment, and used the Wi-Fi, how is it? I am thinking of purchasing a small WiFi package for my Sept 5th Alaskan cruise. I will mainly use the internet for checking bank accounts, and also checking Facebook, and writing one or two emails.

Thanks!

I have heard that the connections are too slow for Facebook people. I don't have any experience of that myself. I was on the Crown in March, and I didn't notice any change in the speeds from other ships.

I just got off the Crown yesterday. Wi-Fi was very slow, even when just using the Princess at sea app and not connecting to the satellite internet. Sometimes had trouble connecting at all in the cabin, but it was better in the public rooms.

Internet speed was slow as expected, but usable for email and some very minimal web browsing.

I would be disappointed if I was paying for the minutes, but as a free platinum benefit I guess I can't complain.

They really should charge for MB usage though instead of time.

Even after the recent refurb of the Crown? I believe the drydock in Victoria was to have addressed the issues.

I just got off the Crown yesterday. Wi-Fi was very slow, even when just using the Princess at sea app and not connecting to the satellite internet. Sometimes had trouble connecting at all in the cabin, but it was better in the public rooms.

Internet speed was slow as expected, but usable for email and some very minimal web browsing.

I would be disappointed if I was paying for the minutes, but as a free platinum benefit I guess I can't complain.

Real time experience............

Thank you for clarifying, I thought you had sailed recently aboard the Crown.

Not sure why that would matter when the poster I quoted posted before me, yet you chose to call me out? :confused:

Its always been slow and expensive. I would not expect a magical fix during a dry dock or anytime soon for that matter. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Actually thats how they charge for the crew now. Just spoke with some crew friends on Friday and they say it ends up costing them more now that way. :(

Not sure why that would matter when the poster I quoted posted before me, yet you chose to call me out. :confused:

Not calling anyone out. The OP asked "For those of you who have sailed on the Crown Princess after the refurbishment, and used the Wi-Fi, how is it?" I thought you had been aboard the Crown post refurb.

Thanks for the update on what to expect after a drydock on communications equipment, I didn't know that.

Edited by sanmarcosman

C-cruise, thanks for providing your real time experience. I guess the consensus is that internet will be slow.

I've decided not to purchase the internet package since I don't think it is worth it, especially if internet is gonna be that slow. I'll just wait to use it in port.

Thanks all for your advice.

Actually thats how they charge for the crew now. Just spoke with some crew friends on Friday and they say it ends up costing them more now that way. :(

I guess it would depend on what they charge per MB, but definitely a more equitable way of charging for what you actually use. This is how Disney does it as well for passengers.

I guess it would depend on what they charge per MB, but definitely a more equitable way of charging for what you actually use. This is how Disney does it as well for passengers.

The statistics shown after you sign out show the MB used as well as minutes, so if they want to charge by MB, it would not be hard to do.

Carnival recent changed their Internet packages to offer unlimited minutes on a daily basis. However, my analysis of their changes is that if you did not need unlimited minutes, you will pay more now than in the past when you could have purchased a package of minutes that met your needs.

They actually have three levels of capabilities:

Social media access (think twitter) for $5.00/day

Regular Internet access (think using IE or Firefox) for $16/day

Premium Internet access (think Skype) for $25/day

However, reports from users are not positive. One person posted that they now sell all these unlimited packages but did not increase the available bandwidth. Posters said actual speeds are worse than ever.

One person posted that the future cruise consultant on their cruise had to put through the actual bookings between 1 AM and 4 AM when reasonable speed was available.

Edited by caribill

The statistics shown after you sign out show the MB used as well as minutes, so if they want to charge by MB, it would not be hard to do.

Exactly, but I guess "slow is still slow" no matter which way they charge for it ;)

When I have trouble connecting in my cabin, I prop the door to the hallway open with the trash pail. This usually results in an acceptable signal.

• 7 months later...

I just returned from a cruise on the Crown Princess (3/2016), and got the wifi package (680 pre-paid minutes for $200). I used it primarily for making calls, but my bunk mate used it for texts, posting pics, emails, etc. We never had a problem. It was slow at times, similar to dialup. Never tried streaming videos, but I used wifi calling (Sprint) and Skype calling with minimal problems. The biggest issue was that it would not hold a call when I dialed out, but when the other party dialed in, there was never an issue.

Coverage is not blanket over the ship. I found great success at the Terrace Pool, the Caribe Court buffet, the Sanctuary, anywhere surrounding the Piazza, the art galley (go figure) and the internet cafe (duh).

For making calls, $.034/minute is better than $2.99 or more.