Access to Studio Lounge

Cruise a holic

That is a terrible upgrade! The 2 big advantages of studios are the lounge and the security. She loses at least one. An inside is slightly bigger, but not better.

It is very likely that she will be granted access to the lounge, but possible she won't. If it were me, I would demand (ask politely, but unflinchingly for) my room back or a balcony. I don't see how she benefits from this "upgrade".

I don't see that this is any upgrade either. She will likely be welcome at the Studio lounge during the daily hosted solo gathering pre dinner each evening as it is open to any solo on the ship. But access to that complex otherwise is by key card, so she would not have access any other time. I would ask for my studio back.

That is a terrible upgrade! The 2 big advantages of studios are the lounge and the security. She loses at least one. An inside is slightly bigger, but not better.

It is very likely that she will be granted access to the lounge, but possible she won't. If it were me, I would demand (ask politely, but unflinchingly for) my room back or a balcony. I don't see how she benefits from this "upgrade".

I agree !!

A studio is a smaller than an inside, but the included studio lounge makes it way better IMO.

There will be a daily solo get together every evening (at 6 pm I think), but no access other than that.

Why would a 100 sq foot cabin be " better " then a cabin over 30% larger? Isn't a studio claustrophobic? I do not think i could survive a week in it.

Not claustrophobic at all, its really cozy and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am used to sailing in inside cabins too, and actually there really isn't much of a difference other than a bit of a 'hallway' into the cabin. In a studio you open the door and you're in it.

I was in a Studio on the Getaway. Most of the time, the door was propped open with the deadbolt lock - especially when the crew was in and around there because of where the laundry and hotel supplies were located.

It was a good room - small for sure, but for one person what more do you need? I had 11537 and would advise against that cabin, though. It was at the end near the storage closet. And the window that you could see out into the hallway didn't exist - it was locked shut and would have looked into the storage room. I also could hear noise from the Kid's club and someone rehearsing their singing. But otherwise, no problems. I used the bridgecam channel as my window.

She should be able to get her keycard programmed for anytime access to the studio lounge.I did this when I was solo and in an inside,the NCL host suggested it and reception were ok with it once I mentioned the host had suggested it.

I have heard here on CC both of people in Insides and balconies having their cards coded for the lounge and being refused. Apparently it depends on who you ask.

I like the security at night. I get to leave all new friends and riff raff behind at the door without pointing out which cabin I am in. Also, the coffee maker rocks.

On my last 2 breakaway cruises the access to the studio lounge was always open- many people only use it for the gathering only every day so as long as you can get in for that you are okay.

I don't think an inside is a bad upgrade from a studio as long as you can still get in for the solo gatherings.

Studio lounge is also one of the few places to get a decent free coffee. Solo meetings were not in the lounge on my recent Getaway cruise. Tough decision. Solo cabin is a little tight. Never been in an inside but the extra space would be welcome.

I have heard here on CC both of people in Insides and balconies having their cards coded for the lounge and being refused. Apparently it depends on who you ask.

I wanted to book a Studio for my 8/26 Epic cruise. There was one room left, and I waffled just an hour too long, and it got sold within that hour. I called NCL and asked if I could get 24/7 access to the lounge as I had seen some (but not all) people on CC were able to. I was told no by the NCL person I spoke to after he talked to his manager--but he said I might get a different answer on the ship and to ask when I checked in. Seems even the NCL people know that it's not consistent! I cruise in 3 days, so we'll see what they tell me on the ship! :)

I definitely wouldn't consider an inside an upgrade--the benefits of the lounge for a single traveler seem really great, and that's what I am really bummed about missing out on for waffling an hour too long. The good news is that when I booked, a balcony was only $180 more than an inside, so I was able to justify that cost pretty easily. I'm looking forward to the balcony, but I know I'm going to miss the benefits of the lounge in the morning when I have to truck all the way to a dining room or the buffet instead of sleeping in a bit, lol! I am excited I'll be able to meet other solos during the nightly gathering, though!

Edited by piper45maru

I wanted to book a Studio for my 8/26 Epic cruise. There was one room left, and I waffled just an hour too long, and it got sold within that hour. I called NCL and asked if I could get 24/7 access to the lounge as I had seen some (but not all) people on CC were able to. I was told no by the NCL person I spoke to after he talked to his manager--but he said I might get a different answer on the ship and to ask when I checked in. Seems even the NCL people know that it's not consistent! I cruise in 3 days, so we'll see what they tell me on the ship! :)

I definitely wouldn't consider an inside an upgrade--the benefits of the lounge for a single traveler seem really great, and that's what I am really bummed about missing out on for waffling an hour too long. The good news is that when I booked, a balcony was only $180 more than an inside, so I was able to justify that cost pretty easily. I'm looking forward to the balcony, but I know I'm going to miss the benefits of the lounge in the morning when I have to truck all the way to a dining room or the buffet instead of sleeping in a bit, lol! I am excited I'll be able to meet other solos during the nightly gathering, though!

Perhaps you can help! My friend is currently on the Breakaway. She has no internet access. Since this is her first cruise , she is in an inside cabin, I am not sure that she will know how to get access to the studio lounge. I am not sure if she will be listed as a single "studio" guest and get all of the information regarding the lounge, access, events for singles etc.

Is somebody currently on board the breakaway reading cruise critic I would truly appreciate some help. Let me know and I will send you information.

Thanks

Since this is her first cruise , she is in an inside cabin, I am not sure that she will know how to get access to the studio lounge. I am not sure if she will be listed as a single "studio" guest and get all of the information regarding the lounge, access, events for singles etc.

Times for public events (like solo travellers' meetings) are listed in Freestyle Daily, lounge door should be propped open during those events. If the group wants to do something like have dinners together, they will decide about that amongst themselves.

Times for public events (like solo travellers' meetings) are listed in Freestyle Daily, lounge door should be propped open during those events. If the group wants to do something like have dinners together, they will decide about that amongst themselves.

While she is a very smart lady, she doesn't have experience with cruising. Hope that she reads the freestyle and can figure out the process herself. Frustrating not to have any e-mail access to a traveler!

Thanks for the information

While she is a very smart lady, she doesn't have experience with cruising. Hope that she reads the freestyle and can figure out the process herself. Frustrating not to have any e-mail access to a traveler!

Thanks for the information

NCL is the most cruiser-friendly to solo travelers, even without internet access. Just tell her to look at her dailies for day to see where the solo meeting is being held at around 5-7pm - it will literally say 'Solo Meet' as a description/title.

And personally - if she traded the studio for a regular interior, she got ripped off. If you're going to trade the benefit of lounge with the free expresso machine and fresh pastries, let it be for oceanview rooms and up - the size of those rooms, views, storage, balcony and/or storage space truly makes up for lost of lounge around-the-clock access and studio storage setup (studio is small but the storage setup is one of best for one person- check out Youtube videos for a tour of the room).

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

NCL is the most cruiser-friendly to solo travelers, even without internet access. Just tell her to look at her dailies for day to see where the solo meeting is being held at around 5-7pm - it will literally say 'Solo Meet' as a description/title.

And personally - if she traded the studio for a regular interior, she got ripped off. If you're going to trade the benefit of lounge with the free expresso machine and fresh pastries, let it be for oceanview rooms and up - the size of those rooms, views, storage, balcony and/or storage space truly makes up for lost of lounge around-the-clock access and studio storage setup (studio is small but the storage setup is one of best for one person- check out Youtube videos for a tour of the room).

Too late to tell her anything- she left and is on the ship since yesterday- She has no internet. My goal is to contact somebody currently on the sailing to "show her the ropes" so she can be sure to have all the perks she is entitled to. She doesn't have e-mail access. Any way to contact the onboard studio lounge concierge?

Too late to tell her anything- she left and is on the ship since yesterday- She has no internet. My goal is to contact somebody currently on the sailing to "show her the ropes" so she can be sure to have all the perks she is entitled to. She doesn't have e-mail access. Any way to contact the onboard studio lounge concierge?

I don't recall there being a "studio concierge." Just someone from the cruise director's staff who would host the nightly events. Other than that, there isn't really staff posted in the lounge other than the few hours that there may be a bartender on duty.

It's too bad this wasn't asked before she left, but now that she's on board and out of communication, I would just trust that she'll figure things out. As other pointed out, the daily solo gatherings are posted in the Freestyle Daily. Even if she doesn't make her way to the solo gatherings, it is a great ship with lots of activities - I'm sure your friend will find things to do and people to do them with.

FYI - I'll jump in and agree with the others who said an upgrade to an inside is not an upgrade. I would take the studio set up, location, etc. over an inside without hesitation. It's a very well designed room, and quite comfortable for one person.

Hopefully, your friend will look at a daily and will know how to just attend events. It may shock her that all she has to do is show up without an invitation or reservation, but she'll learn - I know I did on my very 1st trip years ago , it help me when I did my 1st cruise last year.[emoji4]

There's no solo concierge, just a solo coordinator that works about 4-5 hours each evening setup dining/activities and a bartender for 1-3 hours that makes alcoholic beverages (at the traveler's extra expense, of course).

Edited by maywell

Send her a text message. It only cost her 50cents to receive while on the ship.