tour offers from outside vendors on rollcalls

SeaBands

I have noticed that I am getting offers of tours when I go to my roll calls. Anyone else finding this?

Yes, I seem to be getting them from at least one vendor (not a HAL Listed One) from Jamaica............ I just hit S P A M.

Have had this happen twice in the past month.

Joanie

I have noticed that I am getting offers of tours when I go to my roll calls. Anyone else finding this?

I noticed the same thing. Not concerned as that how Google generates their ad money. (I use Chrome and Gmail). I had been looking online at a few websites for tours and now have three ads from a tour operator in Dubai. Don't think it has anything to do with CC or the Roll Call; just a function of how the internet search engines make their money.

I use an ad blocker but disabled that on my roll call just to see what happened. The first ad that it showed was for a California coastal area that I was researching over the weekend for a vacation. Nothing nefarious, just the way search engines and internet ads work.

How far out from a cruise date do roll calls start?
As far out as someone on the cruise decides to start one. 18 months is not uncommon, and right now there's one for Apr 2017 ... 20 months ... and four for Mar 2017.

Edited by jtl513

if you don't want targeted ads on cruise critic or for that matter other sites then disable third-party cookies....some sites might not give access without them turned on, but most don't bother checking. As Boytjie mentioned adBlocker is also a great solution.

Edited by waASPCrusier

Go here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

This will show you a list of all the persistent Flash cookies or Local Storage Objects (LSOs) on your computer. For the most part, these are the ones that share data with the ad networks. The yimg one is Google's primary cookie.

Because of what we do for a living, we dump our LSOs and regular cookies all the time. If you dump yours, you'll find that the ad personalization pretty much disappears. There are still a lot of other ways to track you, but the LSOs and third party cookies are the two big ones that allow cross site tracking.

Yes, I seem to be getting them from at least one vendor (not a HAL Listed One) from Jamaica............ I just hit S P A M.

Have had this happen twice in the past month.

Joanie

How do you hit spam on Google, or whatever you are using? Try an ad blocker.

Because of what we do for a living, we dump our LSOs and regular cookies all the time. If you dump yours, you'll find that the ad personalization pretty much disappears. There are still a lot of other ways to track you, but the LSOs and third party cookies are the two big ones that allow cross site tracking.

One way or another you're going to get ads. The difference is whether or not they are relevant/interesting or simply irritating.

I'll take relevant over irritating anytime.

For me, it's not a question of annoying or relevant/irrelevant ads popping up on my computer - it's strictly a question of my personal privacy. I do not want my personal information harvested from my e-mail and online orders and used for God-only-knows-what purposes. IMO people who do not actively guard their privacy are doomed to lose it in one way or another.

For me, it's not a question of annoying or relevant/irrelevant ads popping up on my computer - it's strictly a question of my personal privacy. I do not want my personal information harvested from my e-mail and online orders and used for God-only-knows-what purposes. IMO people who do not actively guard their privacy are doomed to lose it in one way or another.

Fascinating subject, privacy - one I spend a lot of time on every day. As I wrote a few years ago:

"Way back in 1999, Scott McNealy – then the chief executive officer of Sun Microsystems – famously said that consumer privacy issues are a 'red herring." He went on to say: "You have zero privacy anyway, get over it.' "

"Ayn Rand, in The Fountainhead, said: 'Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.' While Isaac Asimov (in Foundation’s Edge) has one character say: 'It seems to me, Golan, that the advance of civilization is nothing but an exercise in the limiting of privacy.' G.B. Shaw, the great Irish playwright is quoted as saying 'An American has no sense of privacy. He does not know what it means. There is no such thing in the country.' But US Supreme Court justice William O. Douglas opined 'We are rapidly entering the age of no privacy, where everyone is open to surveillance at all times.'

Fascinating subject...

Fascinating subject, privacy - one I spend a lot of time on every day. As I wrote a few years ago:

"Way back in 1999, Scott McNealy – then the chief executive officer of Sun Microsystems – famously said that consumer privacy issues are a 'red herring." He went on to say: "You have zero privacy anyway, get over it.' "

"Ayn Rand, in The Fountainhead, said: 'Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.' While Isaac Asimov (in Foundation’s Edge) has one character say: 'It seems to me, Golan, that the advance of civilization is nothing but an exercise in the limiting of privacy.' G.B. Shaw, the great Irish playwright is quoted as saying 'An American has no sense of privacy. He does not know what it means. There is no such thing in the country.' But US Supreme Court justice William O. Douglas opined 'We are rapidly entering the age of no privacy, where everyone is open to surveillance at all times.'

Fascinating subject...

I'm not sure that the customers of Ashley Madison would use "fascinating" as a descriptor. :):eek:

I'm not sure that the customers of Ashley Madison would use "fascinating" as a descriptor. :):eek:

Great point ... and it should be noted that, unlike people who share info on CC Roll Calls, the customers of AM actually paid for the services and probably expected a much higher level of security/privacy protection than one would expect on a "free" site ...

Venders are not allowed to advertise tours on the roll calls, neither are travel agents.

... but CC does not agree not to share Roll Call info with its Travelocity/Expedia owner and other 3rd party vendors ... so CC/T/E are "free" to use Roll Call Member info for their own marketing purposes and to sell it to other 3rd party vendors, as well - that concerns me enough that I do not join CC Roll Calls, but, hey, to each his/her own ...

... for those who upgraded to Windows 10 and accepted the standard (default) settings for the new Microsoft Edge browser, this will accelerate the more/longer you use W10 ... and since Cruise Critic is part of Travelocity/Expedia, I suspect that some CC/Roll Call info may be harvested and sold/used by T/E and its affiliated entities as well ...

... but CC does not agree not to share Roll Call info with its Travelocity/Expedia owner and other 3rd party vendors ... so CC/T/E are "free" to use Roll Call Member info for their own marketing purposes and to sell it to other 3rd party vendors, as well - that concerns me enough that I do not join CC Roll Calls, but, hey, to each his/her own ...

Cruise Critic's parent company is TripAdvisor, not Expedia.

... & IIRC Expedia owns TripAdvisor ... and, for that matter, Travelocity, as well ...

YDNRC* - TripAdvisor is not owned by Expedia. TripAdvisor is its own company and trades as TRIP on the NASDAQ. Travelocity is owned by Expedia, though.

*You do not recall correctly. ;)

Edited by POA1

That seems to be a big assumption in my opinion.

I am a regular on my roll calls and do a LOT of private tours and have not received any unsolicited emails from tour operators.