Sailaway Party?

It's been lots of years since I've been on deck during sailaway. Have traveled with a group the last 15+ years, having a row of connected balconies, so there was no need.

Now I'm doing my first solo and think it would be more fun to hit the deck (even though I'll still have a balcony).

SO....my question is: Is the sailaway a big group party with the deck band playing or is it separated into small groups of people who are sailing together without much fanfare?

Just curious, so if you can share your most recent "sailaway on deck" experience, thanks in advance!

Gone are the streamers and drink discounts, but those have been gone longer than 15 years.

The DJ plays line dances, too many people with microphones are screaming and it's groups standing together around the lido deck and just above. We like going all the way forward while leaving Galveston and watching the dolphins in the bow wakes of passing ships.

If the cupid shuffle, wobble, and a few other line dances are your deal then head to the lido deck, but it's no real big deal.

Edited by BallFour4

Gone are the streamers and drink discounts, but those have been gone longer than 15 years.

The DJ plays line dances, too many people with microphones are screaming and it's groups standing together around the lido deck and just above. We like going all the way forward while leaving Galveston and watching the dolphins in the bow wakes of passing ships.

Although, the Caribbean bands are coming back to sail-away. Makes it much more fun, in my opinion.

We are in our 60s and enjoy the sailaway party . We do not take part in the line dancing though. Our party starts when we first board. Drop carry ons off in room, then its off to the Lido deck. Then its lunch and a drink or two, while listening to music and watching all the happy cruisers. When the actual party begins and the ships horn sounds, its up to deck 10 to watch us leave port. Once out of port its time to sit down relax and have another drink. The sailaway party is not a real big thing, but it signifies the start of your vacation.

Although, the Caribbean bands are coming back to sail-away. Makes it much more fun, in my opinion.

Agreed. It's been a hot topic since they vanished. I'll celebrate/believe it when I see it. Those days on Fantasy class ships with the raised platform in the middle of the lido deck with the bands playing Bob Marley were the best sea days ever.

Edited by BallFour4

I love sailaway - sometimes I join in the line dances, although I'm very uncoordinated. Other times I watch everyone else. I enjoy seeing everyone have a good time, from the very young to the very old. They usually have a conga line, too. Yes, it's loud, but I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

If you want some quiet, though, there are plenty of outer decks to enjoy sailaway. That's why I like cruising - you can do as much or as little as you like.