Update on Cruised mistakenly cancelled by Celelbrity

MoyCoy

I wrote a Thread about 3 or so days ago regarding a cruise that Celebrity mistakenly cancelled - a 5 day Eclipse sailing this December.

Celebrity was altering cruises for 2017 when they mistakenly canceled my cruise for this year. I only knew the cruise was cancelled because I tried to book a shore excursion last week and found my booking number was invalid. This was a Birthday cruise I booked a year ago while sailing on the Solstice. I scored a CS for a really nice price and gained $500 OBC, Free gratuities, and bev package. I was so excited to try the new suite class and all of the new benefits.

Alas, my room was already resold when we discovered Celebrities mistake.

My TA reviewed all the phone calls in which the said transaction originally took place and found that indeed permission was not given by them or me to alter my 2015 sailings. The Eclipse sailing was not mentioned the entire phone call: :confused:

My TA had been working tirelessly to come up with a resolution . My situation had to be escalated to a TA supervisor because Celebrity refused to recognize the error and compensate accordingly. I emailed Concerns@Celelbrity twice and called Captain Club too regarding my 'beautiful mess'.

My TA called and emailed her contacted at Celebrity and spent hours on the phone with representatives who stated that I will have to rebook under the prevailing rate and no other compensation would be given.

Originally all of the suites were booked solid when we discovered that my CS was cancelled. Thankfully a S2 aft became available today. My TA , after numerous hours of hearing 'we can't do anything for you' .. found a supervisor at Celebrity who was willing to AT LEAST restore the $500 OBC, classic bev package, free gratuities- I had attached to my original booking. I booked my CS 1 year ago on board under the 123 promo plus combined that booking later with a Free Gratt/200 OBC promo. If a Celebrity suite becomes available , they will honor my original price (the prevailing rate is $700 more than I originally paid) BUT will deduct a $200 from my OBC.

Lets recap. My room was cancelled mistakenly by Celebrity. I am offered my original benefits as long as I rebook a Sky suite under the prevailing rates. AND if by chance a CS becomes available, I will be penalized $200 for upgrading under the rate I booked 1 year ago.

I am pleased that celebrity gave me back the benefits I lost, but indeed to penalize me by taking away OBC that I procured 1 year ago in order to book a room under a rate that should be honored feels a little wrong.

I will try and put my bitter feelings aside and enjoy my birthday cruise. At least we are sailing in a suite and now can enjoy Luminae, though we will not be able to enjoy Michael Club (a amenity only offered to CS and above) It took a solid week of me and my TA begging for a resolution from numerous reps and only 2 persons offered compensation. My TA and I have yet to hear back from emails sent days prior. I am saddened by the lack of compassion from Celebrity.

I have sailed with Celebrity and RCI for many years now and have enjoyed all of my cruises thus far. I enjoy their product and I normally book Concierge or above. I will continue to book with Celebrity, but will now be paranoid every time a reservation is altered. :eek:

Thank You for everyone who gave me advice and encouragement!

PS: I have a Forward Penthouse Haven Suite booked next year on the Breakaway for our anniversary . I wonder how different/similar the experience will be .

Edited by MoyCoy

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. Computers do not make things easier and am very surprised that there is not a firewall to stop anyone from making these mistakes. Have your TA keep up the search for a CS. Usually there are cancelations when full payment is due but you have to be prepared to jump at it. Good Luck and enjoy whatever cabin you are assigned.

I'm not especially prone to conspiracy theory thinking, but this particular cruise has been popular for and sold out on suites because of its short itinerary and off-season timing make suites very affordable. Something tells me that someone with a lot more pull wanted OP's suite. Or possibly TA error/(??). Just seems very hinky.

Would really love to know who ended up with the suite.

Edited by perditax

Didn't you say on one of your earlier posts that Celebrity says the reservation was cancelled on your end? I find it suspicious that they would not give you any consideration if it was their fault. Methinks your TA did something wrong and is trying to save face with you. Much more believable than the theory that they wanted your suite for someone else.

Many years ago, I booked a Xmas family cruise on the Galaxy. Paid my deposit by check ( a mistake...use a credit card)almost a year in advance and selected my cabin. When I received my request from the TA for final payment, I noticed a different cabin # than the one I had selected. I called the TA and was told that Celebrity changed the cabin. I called Celebrity and was told that the TA held my deposit money too long and lost my original booked cabin. When the TA gave my deposit to Celebrity, I was assigned a different cabin. It was the same category in an unacceptable location. The TA did admit that she had rebooked and said it didn't matter where the cabin was located. I disagreed and canceled the cruise. I booked on another ship using a different TA. Now I use a credit card and also call the cruise line to verify the booking. Be careful when blaming Celebrity. It may not be their fault.

Many years ago, I booked a Xmas family cruise on the Galaxy. Paid my deposit by check ( a mistake...use a credit card)almost a year in advance and selected my cabin. When I received my request from the TA for final payment, I noticed a different cabin # than the one I had selected. I called the TA and was told that Celebrity changed the cabin. I called Celebrity and was told that the TA held my deposit money too long and lost my original booked cabin. When the TA gave my deposit to Celebrity, I was assigned a different cabin. It was the same category in an unacceptable location. The TA did admit that she had rebooked and said it didn't matter where the cabin was located. I disagreed and canceled the cruise. I booked on another ship using a different TA. Now I use a credit card and also call the cruise line to verify the booking. Be careful when blaming Celebrity. It may not be their fault.

Are you in Europe/UK?

In North America, the Cruiseline has to process the payments for cruises booked by travel agencies.

Just curious.

I have been wrong before (probably in the last hour), but I can NOT imagine that X would cancel your room and then once informed that they made a mistake not honor your original rate.

There is more to the story.

(I would guess, as others have said, something happened with the TA)

If X really did cancel your reservation on their own without any reason, they would honor your original price, and try to get similar room (and even a better room if that was all that's available)

I hope you get to the bottom of it, but I doubt you will get past just speculating.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by dodger1964

To the OP, for me, I'd write a letter to Celebrity, send it certified mail, and clearly state the issues you have, and how they have removed value from your booking, and demand they at minimum get you "whole" again, and ask for some extra OBC for the hassle. Attach any relevant correspondence you have, original booking confirmations etc. Keep the letter as brief as possible, as to the issues, and your recommended resolution, and attach a timeline and details behind the letter. DO not make the letter emotional in any way or state things like "i;ll never sail celebrity again" - just the facts, maa'm. Threats to never sail will be met with, well we lost them, oh well no sense trying.

A certified letter will almost guarantee you a phone call within 3 days of it being received, It's worked for me in the past.

If you used a TA, send them a copy of your correspondence. X can then look into the history of your reservations, listen to recorded phone calls with TA and decide how to proceed. Rally, only X has ALL the details, and can determine if maybe TA caused the issue in reality.

Phone calls and emails are relatively insignificant, while a certified letter shows them you are quite serious with your issues.

Edited by cle-guy

I'm not especially prone to conspiracy theory thinking, but this particular cruise has been popular for and sold out on suites because of its short itinerary and off-season timing make suites very affordable. Something tells me that someone with a lot more pull wanted OP's suite. Or possibly TA error/(??). Just seems very hinky.

Would really love to know who ended up with the suite.

My Husband had the same feeling. The funds from that cruise was moved to a cruise in 2017 that was going to be cancelled. Weird. :(

To the OP, for me, I'd write a letter to Celebrity, send it certified mail, and clearly state the issues you have, and how they have removed value from your booking, and demand they at minimum get you "whole" again, and ask for some extra OBC for the hassle. Attach any relevant correspondence you have, original booking confirmations etc. Keep the letter as brief as possible, as to the issues, and your recommended resolution, and attach a timeline and details behind the letter. DO not make the letter emotional in any way or state things like "i;ll never sail celebrity again" - just the facts, maa'm. Threats to never sail will be met with, well we lost them, oh well no sense trying.

A certified letter will almost guarantee you a phone call within 3 days of it being received, It's worked for me in the past.

If you used a TA, send them a copy of your correspondence. X can then look into the history of your reservations, listen to recorded phone calls with TA and decide how to proceed. Rally, only X has ALL the details, and can determine if maybe TA caused the issue in reality.

Phone calls and emails are relatively insignificant, while a certified letter shows them you are quite serious with your issues.

\

Thank You!

I have been wrong before (probably in the last hour), but I can NOT imagine that X would cancel your room and then once informed that they made a mistake not honor your original rate.

If X really did cancel your reservation on the own without any reason, they would honor your original price, and try to get similar room (and even a better room if that was all that's available)

I hope you get to the bottom of it, but I doubt you will get past just speculating.

Have a great cruise!

All CS are sold out on my sailing. There is a 5 day sailing leaving 1 day before with a similar itinerary. That cruise has 4 CS available. We asked if we could switch to that cruise under our old pricing . Our request was denied. The supervisor at Celebrity stated ..'the deal' was only available for the Eclipse sailing.

Might not be what you want, but I took a quick look and saw that there is 1 Royal Suite available for your sailing. Michaels Club, and even more benefits than the CS.

That Royal Suite was not available yesterday. I will look into it! Oh, I just remembered, Celebrity said if the cruise was modified in anyway, that the benefits would drop.

If X really did cancel your reservation on their own without any reason, they would honor your original price, and try to get similar room (and even a better room if that was all that's available)

Have a great cruise!

We had hoped they would allow us to rebook on a different sailing and regain our original benefits, but alas they would not. My TA conferenced me in on phone call when were trying to gain resolution and indeed I heard first hand a refusal to investigate the issue on their end even in light of a recorded conversation. I am sure there is more that happened behind the scene on both parties that I might be unaware of. My TA did there part to see if they were to blame, but unfortunately Celebrity just blamed my TA and refused to investigate. It was not until my TA presented their evidence that they were willing to honor my original fare for a CS on the Eclipse (with a reduction of benefits :()

That was the frustrating part.:(

Didn't you say on one of your earlier posts that Celebrity says the reservation was cancelled on your end? I find it suspicious that they would not give you any consideration if it was their fault. Methinks your TA did something wrong and is trying to save face with you. Much more believable than the theory that they wanted your suite for someone else.

A sailing for 2017 was cancelled. No cruises in 2015 were to be altered.

That Royal Suite was not available yesterday. I will look into it! Oh, I just remembered, Celebrity said if the cruise was modified in anyway, that the benefits would drop.

Humm only a new sky suite is available :D Royal Suite probably already sold

Edited by MoyCoy

Humm only a new sky suite is available :D Royal Suite probably already sold

Yeah, I don't see it anymore. I would keep checking though, there will be cancelations and I bet more higher end suites will open up. That frequently seems to happen, especially getting closer to the final payment. Good luck!

To clarify on my post above, I am extremely doubtful that this 'just happened', but I was hesitant to blame the TA, as OP seems to have faith in them.

We booked the silhouette a few months ago. The sailing is Dec. 13,2015. Came home from a trip and was looking on line at the checking account. Saw a credit from Celebrity, made me wonder for I knew I hadn't done anything. I call my TA, she called right away and was told a glitch in the system cancelled our reservation. She tried to get our original balcony cabin back but it was already taken. She went back and forth with them and got us a upgrade to a GTY CC. We also got our beverage promo back and he OBC we had.

Our TA worked Her magic and so far all is good. Just need for the cruise to get here now.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The more parties you introduce to a transaction, the more complex, and the higher the likelihood of something going wrong. We're using a TA for an upcoming cruise because we got a really good deal, so just keeping our fingers crossed that nothing like this will happen.

I'm in agreement with others that stated that it's the TA who made the error. At the very least I don't think that Celebrity or any other reputable company would make you jump through hoops just to get perks back. They have been giving this stuff away for two year now and I don't think they would take a chance to further upset a customer who they already caused a problem for. I think if Celebrity really cancelled the cruise they would have offered you additional OBC or some compensation.

Also if the cruise was canceled why wasn't your TA notified? Maybe they were but dropped the ball in communicating to you.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Thanks for sharing your experience. The more parties you introduce to a transaction, the more complex, and the higher the likelihood of something going wrong. We're using a TA for an upcoming cruise because we got a really good deal, so just keeping our fingers crossed that nothing like this will happen.

I agree. It's one thing to book with a TA from the start and it's another when you book on board and transfer the booking. Too much room for error.

I agree. It's one thing to book with a TA from the start and it's another when you book on board and transfer the booking. Too much room for error.

I also agree, the TA should have known if the cruise was cancelled. They would have received the paperwork. Since the OP didn't call the TA to cancel, the TA should have wondered what was going on and notified them.

A good TA is worth having and they save more problems than they cause. Unfortunately they aren't all good. They are also human and can occasionally make mistakes, but so can we and the agents at Celebrity.