planning and travel question for those familiar with bermuda

waxing witch

we're leaving on the breakaway in 39 days for our first trip to bermuda. i have two specific concerns: is what i want to do even possible, and what's the best way around the island. read on for details.

my initial plan for the three days in port is to go to the beach in the morning (right now horseshoe, tobacco bay, and elbow are on my list) and go sightseeing in the afternoon. i hope to return to the ship each day for lunch and a change of clothes. for example, one day i'm hoping to go to horseshoe bay after breakfast (hoping to be off the ship by 8:30am), spend about two or three hours at the beach, head back to the ship for a pit stop, and then head back out for sightseeing in the st. george's area (crystal caves, aquarium, forts in the area).

i am considering getting the unlimited bus/ferry pass for the three days we're there. the maps i've looked at make the buses and ferries seem very easy to navigate - is that so? and what is the travel time like?

and if i put together beaches in the AM, sightseeing in the PM, and travel by bus/ferry, is this even possible? tia ;)

We're on the same cruise.

Using the bus and ferry system is very easy, but it's very easy to be overambitious . Schedules, waiting for buses and ferries and travel times can make it difficult to come back to the ship for lunch and then travel out again in the afternoon. It can be done, but has to be carefully planned. For example, ferry service to St. George's is very limited.

If we're planning to be out for the full day we eat lunch on the island and don't come back to the ship.

I think it would be useful for you to look over the bus and ferry schedules in order to become familiar with them. Here are links for the buses and ferries, respectively:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_20064_959_235551_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/department_of_public_transportation_2014/downloads/bus_schedule_april_2015.pdf

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

I will defer to NJH as far as going back to the ship being doable.....he knows his stuff.:) However, I wouldn't try it as a first timer to Bermuda, you will be taking up too much of the limited time you have by going back to the ship.

I will defer to NJH as far as going back to the ship being doable.....he knows his stuff.:) However, I wouldn't try it as a first timer to Bermuda, you will be taking up too much of the limited time you have by going back to the ship.

I said it was doable...but I also said it was difficult and we don't do it. ;)

If Horseshoe Bay is too crowded, Warwick Long Bay is just a short walk away.

I know some people pay to use the beach at a resort such as Elbow Beach or Coco Reef, but their beaches are adjacent to the free public portion of Elbow Beach. I can't imagine paying to use a beach in Bermuda...but to each his own.

thanks for the feeback :) the only place we've cruised to before is the bahamas and i know bermuda is set up differently. we took taxis everywhere in the bahamas and it was always affordable; taxis in bermuda seem to be much more expensive. after perusing the timetables, it seems like i may have been a bit ambitious. i may have to rethink some of my plans.

Just off the BA, bus and ferry best way to go, just review the schedules. This islsnd has the nicest people!! Just tell the bus driver where u want to go, and they will happily give u directions. People on the street will take u!! If in St Georges eat at Art Mel's, great food good prices (very expensive island for food - but not here).

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

Tobacco Bay is often badly overcrowded.

Horseshoe is too, unless you move to the side.

Look into the resort offering a day pass at Elbow complete with lunch

Looks like the OP is going in Oct. Just about all our numerous cruises there have been in Oct. and Horseshoe was never crowded. Tobacco Bay could sometimes get crowded but some work has been done so there is now more useable beach. Also, with the new HOHO bus in St. George, and with lounges and a snack bar now at St. Catherine's beach, people are going there so it thins out the crowds at TB. I wouldn't hesitate to go to either HB or TB.

I was in Bermuda last week for 7 days-buses and ferries very easy--get a multi day pass or a book of tickets ($37 for 15--you can share them) good for 14 zones and all ferries. If you get the tickets-you need to ask for a transfer when you get on the bus and it's only good for the next bus--so you can't walk around Hamilton for and hour and then use the transfer for another bus. Thus, multi day pass is better for many trips, tickets work better for one long trip to/from somewhere.

For your 1st day, I would do Elbow beach (excellent snorkeling from shore--just swim out the the reef--take your own gear, including fins). Then over to Horshoe Bay (just down the road on the #7 bus) and you can eat lunch at the concession stand-excellent fish sandwich $11, plus other items. Horshoe has decent changing rooms, outdoor showers, bathrooms, etc. Then back to ship via shuttle or #7 bus.

Next day, ferry to St. Georges, tour the historical sites, then take the bus or the new beach bus ($6 all day) to Fort Catherine and then take the beach bus to Tobacco Bay or just chill at St. Catherine's beach. Achilles Beach up the hill from St. Catherines has decent snorkeling in the rocks to the left. If it's open, there's a great food shack at St. Catherines beach, $5 burgers, $8 fish sanwiches (we ate there 2X--good and a bargain). Then bus or beach shuttle back to St. George to catch the ferry back--or you can take a bus to Hamilton (45 minutes) and then ferry or another bus to the ship (45 minutes)--it makes for a great island tour for practically free. It 's really too far to come back for lunch--I would plan to eat a quick lunch out and then head back around 4pm to maximize your time.

Lasy day, ferry either to Hamilton or to St Georges and then bus to the caves (excellent). They are only 20 minutes from St. Georges, then continue on a bus to Hamilton, look around and then ferry over to Dockyard.

We loved Elbow so much we went back a 2nd day--the snorkeling was excellent and only a handful of people both days, even with ships in port. Elbow does not have facilities (only port a potty) unless you go to the resort. Horseshoe has good facilities plus chair/umbrella rentals.

Lastly, as a cruiser/tourist, please observe proper bus demeanor--shirts and shorts and shoes-no bathing suit tops, don't talk over other passngers, talk in low voices, keep in mind that this is a primary means of transport for working Bermudians and school kids. We had one bus driver actually pull over and stop the bus and tell us we were too noisy--and, yes, I was one of the "noisy" ones talking to other BA cruise passengers going to the beach-lessoned learned. Bermuda is a wonderful place!

Edited by elaine5