Children on princess

flcruisechick16

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about princess. I love to cruise and have been on 3 princess cruises but not with my children (3 and 5). They have been with us on Disney fantasy twice,but no other line. As an adult, I love princess, but wasn't sure if my kids would enjoy it. Disney prices this winter are so crazy I don't think we can swing it again, so I was thinking of trying to Jan Regal Princess 7 day. Does anyone have experience with children on princess? Is the staff friendly? If we book a mini suite will there be enough room for 4 of us to fit comfortably in the cabin? How about the princess Pelicans program? Did your children enjoy it? My kids would be 4 and 6 when we sail. I loved regal this spring, but didn't check out the kids club at the time. Thanks so much!!

Caroline

You should be quite comfortable with the four of you in a mini suite. In fact Sunday we board the Ruby with our two boys (10 and 12) in a mini. One boy will have the sofa, which makes into a bed and the other will use the bunk bed that pulls down from the ceiling. Since your children are young I'm sure they would be comfortable together on the sofa bed. We like he mini because the kids have their own TV and there is a kids channel that plays cartoons and movies all day.

Our boys reLly enjoyed the kids club last year, even though there weren't many kids on that cruise. In fact most were younger. They are many activities and you can drop the kids in and out for most of the day. They will play games, watch movies, do arts and crafts, etc. my kids loved it and cannot wait to be back this weekend. :-). We had a good experience with the staff and they seemed attentive with all of the children. I haven't been on Disney so I cannot provide a comparison, but I would assume the Dis year kids program is probably a bit more exciting than Princess, but I wouldn't let this deter you.

Have a great cruise!

My kids (8 and 4) have been cruising since they were 6 months old! We sail almost exclusively with Princess, partly due to the quality of the kid programs! They are excellent! Obviously, all kids are different, but mine love the organised activities in the programs - arts and crafts, games, theme nights, movies, etc. I find that I have to drag them out of the club to get them to spend at least a little vacation time with me! FWIW, neither of them enjoyed Disney's kid program!

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer - you may also want to post this on the family cruising board!

We just got off the Crown on Saturday with our kids (5 and 8) and were pretty disappointed with the kids club. Maybe we have gotten spoiled by Disney, but Princess Pelicans was utterly underwhelming. We've sailed Princess many times and have always been happy with them, but this is the first time we really used their kids club extensively. As long as you don't go in expecting Disney and take it for what it is they will probably be fine.

Honestly the thing that really made the biggest difference to us compared to the kids clubs on Disney was the limited hours of operation. Also, there were a couple evenings where they did family events and the clubs were not open at all for drop-off. We got bit by this with having to change a Sabatini's reservation last minute because we had no kids club option that night. The last annoying thing with the hours was that you had to give them a days notice if you were going to use the kids club while in port.

We had a mini-suite which worked pretty well for the four us. Certainly not as well laid out for families as the Disney cabins, but perfectly acceptable. We did really miss not having the split bathroom and privacy curtain like on Disney. Balcony was much larger on the Crown which we really enjoyed.

Our son is 6 and he loves the kid's club on Princess. We have a hard time keeping him out of it! They have tons of activities - crafts, movies, games, theme night parties and video games. (The staff limits the amount of time the kids play the video games - about 20 minutes per session I think.)

What I found really great was that they actually LEARN in the kid's club. My son came out of our Panama Canal cruise with so much knowledge about sharks. He learned all the different kinds, about their eating habits, how many teeth - it was amazing. He also had an entire Princess tote bag FULL of the different crafts that they had made - everything from artwork to jewelry making. The staff helped him create a "memory journal" of the cruise - it was a nice touch as we took him out of school for this (yes it was only kindergarten ... but still) and he had something to bring back to show the class and his teacher.

The hours worked well for us. The are open from 9-12 in the morning, 1-5 in the afternoon and 6-10 in the evening. We did not take advantage of the port days as we always brought him with us ashore. Although, if we had wanted to, we had only to let them know the day before - lots of time to make plans.

Overall, we are very impressed with the kid's club. The staff seemed to really care about the kids and kept enough structure and activities to keep the kids happy and busy.

My son, who is now 17, and has been on 28 cruises, 22 with Princess and 6 on other lines, loved all the levels of the kids club. He was always happy to go and partake in the great activities. I remember other people leaving their kids in the club while they were on a shore excursion, we never did this.

They also had dinner and movie nights so that the parents could go to a specialty restaurant and a show while the staff took the kids to the buffet and then they watched a movie in the club. It looks like there are more things through the discovery at sea program right now for them as well.

Don't forget to sign them up for the chef at sea if they are in to this. My son got to wear a chefs hat and an apron and they decorated a cake which was given to us at dinner that night. Lot's of fun.

As others have said the mini suite will be great for the 4 of you..

Have a great time:)

We just got off the Crown on Saturday with our kids (5 and 8) and were pretty disappointed with the kids club. Maybe we have gotten spoiled by Disney, but Princess Pelicans was utterly underwhelming. We've sailed Princess many times and have always been happy with them, but this is the first time we really used their kids club extensively. As long as you don't go in expecting Disney and take it for what it is they will probably be fine.

Honestly the thing that really made the biggest difference to us compared to the kids clubs on Disney was the limited hours of operation. Also, there were a couple evenings where they did family events and the clubs were not open at all for drop-off. We got bit by this with having to change a Sabatini's reservation last minute because we had no kids club option that night. The last annoying thing with the hours was that you had to give them a days notice if you were going to use the kids club while in port.

We had a mini-suite which worked pretty well for the four us. Certainly not as well laid out for families as the Disney cabins, but perfectly acceptable. We did really miss not having the split bathroom and privacy curtain like on Disney. Balcony was much larger on the Crown which we really enjoyed.

I totally agree about the hours. Disney wins hands down in this category. Also, Disney does have the best cabins for families. The one thing I don't like about the Disney kids club is it's soooo chaotic. They lost my child in there on our first Disney cruise. And she was wearing a "GPS" tracker bracelet-thing. She fell asleep under a pile of costumes and it took 15 minutes to find her. Princess clubs (at least the ones my DD has attended) are much more focused on arts and crafts. I prefer that over the non-stop yelling and running in the Disney clubs.

My grandchildren LOVE the Princess kids' club. They might agree with you about limited hours because they would stay there 24 hrs a day if they could. We practically have to drag them out for meals. I like the fact that they close for meal times. That way, the kids spend time with the family. Mealtimes together on a cruise are a highlight for us. The only times we have used the port day services were when one or more of the adults in our party were staying on the ship, too. Ensenada, for instance, is a place we all have been many times, and the kids love to do the port day activities in the kids' club. Pizza for lunch! Ice Cream! We have never done Disney (we get enough of the Mouse in our frequent trips to Disneyland) so I can't compare the kids' facilities. However, from what you say, it sounds like the kids' club is little more that a baby sitting service. No, you can't drop off kids on a whim on Princess at any time the mood strikes, but that's not the point. The kids' clubs are designed for the kids to have fun on their cruise, too, like the adults, with activities just for them. That's one reason they like to have notice ahead of time if a child will be there on port day, to plan for the organized activities that day. As I said, it's not a drop-off baby sitting service to get the kids out of the adults' hair.

I totally agree about the hours. Disney wins hands down in this category. Also, Disney does have the best cabins for families. The one thing I don't like about the Disney kids club is it's soooo chaotic. They lost my child in there on our first Disney cruise. And she was wearing a "GPS" tracker bracelet-thing. She fell asleep under a pile of costumes and it took 15 minutes to find her. Princess clubs (at least the ones my DD has attended) are much more focused on arts and crafts. I prefer that over the non-stop yelling and running in the Disney clubs.

Agree 100% on the "chaos" in the Disney club - my kids both hated it! Neither one is particularly shy or quiet but just the noise level, number of kids, varying age ranges, and no "scheduled/structured" activities for them made the Disney kid program a big no-no for my kids! Having said that, if your kids are into that then maybe they would enjoy this over princess. In our experience, Princess has been amazing - my daughter has gone through pelicans and is now in Shockwaves (unlike Disney, Princess DOES split clubs by age :)). The staff have been great, really getting to know the kids and going above and beyond. We have sailed in everything from an inside to a suite and all have suited us just fine - though Disney rooms are much bigger and more family friendly for sure!

Thanks so much! It actually sounds like it would be a great fit. My daughter was almost 3 last year on the Fantasy and she could do either the nursery or the oceanears club on Disney and she always preferred the nursery because it was much quieter and controlled. I think the chaos was overwhelming for her. And my 5 year old son would love to participate in experiences both in the camp and exploring with us. We don't use the camps as much because we have so much to enjoy with them, but we do a few hours here and there for a nicer dinner or for some afternoon reading. I just was concerned if my kids were going to have enough to do with 3 sea days. Disney has shows geared towards kids, water slides, arcade, splash areas etc. Is there any day time stuff for the kids too? Do they do those special events during the day or just at night? Are the pools kid friendly? Thanks again for all your positive feedback!! So exciting! This will be my first cruise as ruby and will almost to platinum! Love to cruise!!

Princess doesn't have the water slides, ice skating rinks, etc. But my daughter did enjoy the program on her first three Princess cruises at age 5, 7, and 8 (she already had been on some Carnival cruises). There was plenty to do and she especially liked the science activities (what kid doesn't like to dissect a squid:eek:).

She was 13 and 15 on her last two, but at that age, probably most teens think any organized program on a ship is lame.

We took advantage of the port day sign up when she was younger and not interested in going ashore in every port. Not a problem to sign up a day ahead and there wasn't any charge. For other days, we would just know to pick her up for meals when the staff closed to eat. But that's only twice a day so not sure what the other poster was saying about limited hours, unless things really have changed in a few years.

You can also take your kid to the kids' dinners (I think a couple of times during a week's cruise) that will be in the Horizon Court buffet -- one side closes for a "private party." After that, the staff takes the kids to the program rooms for the evening activities.

There will be a day-by-day listing of the activities in your cabin when you first board (you can go to your cabin immediately) so your kids can start planning the times they want to make sure they're there.

Have to agree. We LOVE the Princess kids program. My daughter Hanna is a seasoned cruiser at just 10 and cannot wait to go everyday to kids club. The hours of the kids club are perfect and are designed to make the cruise a family experience and not as a place to 'put' the kids while enjoying the adult activities.

Have sooooo much fun. We are sitting here going crazy with jealousy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by calvin31

It has been awhile but i do remember the clubs operational during the day. I also remember them taking the kids to lunch one day too.

Plenty to do and they will have a blast doing it:)

I was on the Royal and I showed up early one sea day for trivia to Princess Live! and found myself watching the kids' talent show, which was not in the patter given to most. Enjoyed myself. Seems a lot of talented kids cruise Princess.

I guess it depends on what your kids are into. Disney clubs are definately more active and chaotic, but my kids do better where they have tons of room to run around and explore and can freely play with other kids. On Princess all it seems like they did was color and do crafts all week, but the space doesn't really lend itself to much more than that. We came home with two tote bags full of their coloring sheets. They did play plenty of video games and got parked in front of the screen watching shows as well. We took them there several time for the schedule activities in the club and they never seemed to be doing what they said on the schedule. One of the events they were excited about was Disney trivia which never happened.

That's scary that they couldn't find your kid for 15 minutes. The GPS bracelets have always worked well for us and they can tell us exactly what room in the kids club each child was in. I guess if they were buried under costumes though that might make them more difficult to find ;)

I guess it depends on what your kids are into. Disney clubs are definately more active and chaotic, but my kids do better where they have tons of room to run around and explore and can freely play with other kids. On Princess all it seems like they did was color and do crafts all week, but the space doesn't really lend itself to much more than that. We came home with two tote bags full of their coloring sheets. They did play plenty of video games and got parked in front of the screen watching shows as well. We took them there several time for the schedule activities in the club and they never seemed to be doing what they said on the schedule. One of the events they were excited about was Disney trivia which never happened.

That's scary that they couldn't find your kid for 15 minutes. The GPS bracelets have always worked well for us and they can tell us exactly what room in the kids club each child was in. I guess if they were buried under costumes though that might make them more difficult to find ;)

It tells me something that Disney has to put GPS tracking devices on the kids... I think your Princess experience was not the norm. Too bad.

Agree 100% on the "chaos" in the Disney club - my kids both hated it! Neither one is particularly shy or quiet but just the noise level, number of kids, varying age ranges, and no "scheduled/structured" activities for them made the Disney kid program a big no-no for my kids! Having said that, if your kids are into that then maybe they would enjoy this over princess. In our experience, Princess has been amazing - my daughter has gone through pelicans and is now in Shockwaves (unlike Disney, Princess DOES split clubs by age :)). The staff have been great, really getting to know the kids and going above and beyond. We have sailed in everything from an inside to a suite and all have suited us just fine - though Disney rooms are much bigger and more family friendly for sure!

I agree that the Disney kids clubs can be overwhelming do the the number of kids and options available to them. The first time we went our 3yr old was a bit intimidated and would only go with her sister. Now at 5 and 8 they love it! They actually do have lots of scheduled/structred activities as well. It isn't all chaos. ;) They also do split the kids into different age ranges and club spaces - 4 I believe if you include the nursery. They didn't get to know our kids really at all on Princess. Never did know us our our kids names when we were picking them up. We had a bit of an unfriendly group of youth staff on this particular cruise however. I did like that they tried to theme some of the activities towards Alaska though!

It tells me something that Disney has to put GPS tracking devices on the kids... I think your Princess experience was not the norm. Too bad.

it's because the Disney kids clubs are huge multi-room spaces. When you go to pick up your kids they look up what space they are in so you can find them quickly. They also use the bracelets to check the kids in and out - no cumbersome paper process like Princess.

Not trying to bash Princess or their kids program at all. We have done 10+ Princess cruises and really like them overall, but their kids program can't be compared to Disney IMHO.

it's because the Disney kids clubs are huge multi-room spaces. When you go to pick up your kids they look up what space they are in so you can find them quickly. They also use the bracelets to check the kids in and out - no cumbersome paper process like Princess.

Not trying to bash Princess or their kids program at all. We have done 10+ Princess cruises and really like them overall, but their kids program can't be compared to Disney IMHO.

Doubtless that's true. However, I LIKE the cumbersome paperwork Princess uses when checking in and out. I find it strangely comforting to know that the people running the outfit know which room my kids are in without firing up the GPS. Call me old-fashioned. I also like that the Princess kids' clubs are designed to enhance the kids' cruise experience with organized activities and aren't just drop-off baby sitters with unlimited hours and "huge, multi-room spaces" for holding pens until the parents decide to come back from the bar and retrieve the little darlings.

Edited by shredie

Our son is 6 and he loves the kid's club on Princess. We have a hard time keeping him out of it! They have tons of activities - crafts, movies, games, theme night parties and video games. (The staff limits the amount of time the kids play the video games - about 20 minutes per session I think.)

What I found really great was that they actually LEARN in the kid's club. My son came out of our Panama Canal cruise with so much knowledge about sharks. He learned all the different kinds, about their eating habits, how many teeth - it was amazing. He also had an entire Princess tote bag FULL of the different crafts that they had made - everything from artwork to jewelry making. The staff helped him create a "memory journal" of the cruise - it was a nice touch as we took him out of school for this (yes it was only kindergarten ... but still) and he had something to bring back to show the class and his teacher.

The hours worked well for us. The are open from 9-12 in the morning, 1-5 in the afternoon and 6-10 in the evening. We did not take advantage of the port days as we always brought him with us ashore. Although, if we had wanted to, we had only to let them know the day before - lots of time to make plans.

Overall, we are very impressed with the kid's club. The staff seemed to really care about the kids and kept enough structure and activities to keep the kids happy and busy.

On our cruise last week on sea days they were closed from 12:00-2:00 and 5:00-7:00 and then closed for the evening at 10:00pm. Pickup time was always 15 minutes before closing. Disney hours are I believe 9:00am to midnight. Anyway, it's not about leaving them there all day long, it is about flexibility of when they can be there. Being closed for 4 hours between noon and 7 is a rather large chunk of time. Having to pre-plan your port day drop-offs is ridiculous. First time I have ever run into that cruising with our kids and our 8yr old has been on a dozen+ cruises. We ended up just signing up for all the port days so we were on the list in case they wanted to go to the club.

Doubtless that's true. However, I LIKE the cumbersome paperwork Princess uses when checking in and out. I find it strangely comforting to know that the people running the outfit know which room my kids are in without firing up the GPS. Call me old-fashioned.

Well I guess when you can see the whole kids space from the door a GPS isn't necessary. :p I know what you mean though - just seemed old fashioned to me. Why don't they just swipe their cruise cards to sign them in and out. Never did figure out why I pre-registered the kids online and then had to fill out all the same information again on paper at the orientation. Just seemed disorganized to me.

We skipped any activity where they fed the kids because of our daughters peanut allergy. Had no confidence they could remember the food allergy or handle any problem. On Disney they can pull up that info by scanning the kids ID bracelet. They even take the Epi-pen and keep it while the kids are in the club.