Is Celebrity the right cruise for kids?

jenku

Sorry but that is NOT your call to make. I am taking my children aged 19,11,9 and 6 on. celebrity cruise and they are all looking forward to it. They know what there is for them to do and I will take some other bits and bobs for them also. They know how they must behave in the public areas and they know what they cannot do. ie press all the buttons on the lift, or run around the ship scraping and shouting. They are too old for public temper tantrums si that win't be an issue. People need to realise that we as parents need something suitable for everyone. Once thay are older, obviously RCI will.be better...If they.choose it. But no one has a right to tell people with children that no, simply.put it is not a cruise line for children. It is rude!!

I think the poster was doing the op a favor. One can assume the op has looked into what Celebrity has to offer and the simple fact is, Celebrity, currently, is geared towards adults. The reality is they are trying to lower the demographic from the 60+ crowd to 40+ with their modern luxury tag and now they are even trying to go after families. The fact that they need to put out brochures convincing people they have some things for kids to do should tell you that they do not attract many kids which, logically, means it is currently overwhelmingly adults aka an adult line. SOME kids will, of course, "love" Celebrity, but I would have to think that most kids would have a better time on something like Royal.

I've been on RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity and when asked, like here, I would give MY opinion which I certainly do have a right to give and it is that yes, absolutely, it is an "adult line" in the sense that there is much, much, much more for kids to do on other mass market lines. It's not being rude. It's common sense. Let's see. I have a 9 year old niece. With my experience, do I choose Royal, Carnival or Celebrity? Celebrity is not even in the equation and I would go with Royal because it is nice for everyone of all ages and FAMILY oriented where as Carnival attracts too many drunk 20 somethings and Celeb is an older crowd. I don't see how this is rude. Personally, when I see kids on Celebrity, I wonder if it's because the parents didn't want to downgrade from a premium line.

Edited by purpletequila

A lot depends on when you're planning to take this cruise. If it during a time when school is in session, there are very few kids on Celebrity ships, and the kids club may not have as many activities. If the cruise falls during a school vacation, there will be more kids on board.

LOVE this...our feelings exactly! ;)

They don't know anything else...they love it' date=' we love it - why would we go anywhere else?[/quote']

This is spot on! Mine does not know anything else. She also has the choice not to join me (she can stay home with her dad). Has she ever taken me up on that? Not a chance.

She is 11 and will be going on her 6th or 7th cruise soon. It is our annual girl's trip with my Mom and I can tell you, all three generations have a blast.

We started cruising with our son and his cousins when they were about 6. (They are mid 20s now.) We sampled various cruise lines and kids clubs. Generally, the kids weren't into the kids clubs much, but they really liked some of them. They were never bored.

Our kids had (and met) expectations of good behavior. If they hadn't, they would not have traveled all over the world. Every one of them loved to cruise and still does. They liked Celebrity a lot. They preferred Princess when they were young, but had a really good time on all lines. We also did a lot of things as a family; not everything, but a lot of things. After all, these were family vacations. Games, swimming, music, on board activities, etc..

We also did shore excursions that were kid friendly. It isn't hard to plan stuff for all ages. Now, we are waiting for grandchildren to start the process all over again.

Just my opinion.

Ohiodoglover

This is spot on! Mine does not know anything else. She also has the choice not to join me (she can stay home with her dad). Has she ever taken me up on that? Not a chance.

She is 11 and will be going on her 6th or 7th cruise soon. It is our annual girl's trip with my Mom and I can tell you, all three generations have a blast.

As someone who went through it a few years ago, make sure you keep some proof that your child has been on these cruises for when they turn 18. Celebrity does change computer systems and info is lost. Its nice when your child turns 18 and they are made Elite.

We take our kids on Royal Carib, it is not true that it costs double, in fact it is less expensive for what you get.

Celebrity is a couples holiday for us. Dont people do couples vacations any more? It would do your kids more good if you went away once in a while as a couple , than dragging them along because it is convenient, or cheaper for you.

It is not true that the new ships will have more for kids. In fact it is the opposite, Celebrity is looking to make "modern luxury" more of a reality with mid size ships that will have nothing for kids.

Modern luxury is not for those who want to change their babies and toddlers by the pool. It is not for those who bring strollers and prams aboard to wheel their offspings on the jogging track as those using them are trying to dodge them, it is not for kids in the dining room , where there is a certain decorum that is demanded/expected.

Cruise long enough and you will have all the things with babies, toddlers and kids in general to mar what should be a luxury experience.

Those of you here, that are so adamant that you take your children everywhere with you no matter how inappropriate because it suits you, when was the last time you went away just with your mate? I highly recommend it.

Moreover I recommend that you try Celebrity, have a quiet , romantic dinner, lay out by the pool or swim together, go dancing, stroll on deck after dinner, go into ports and enjoy time together, sit at a bar and toast each other, take a dance lesson, order room service and sit on the balcony, do a couples massage and all the other things I have left out here that can only be done on couple holidays.

That is the "modern luxury" Celebrity is offering and showing in their adds.

We take our kids on Royal Carib, it is not true that it costs double, in fact it is less expensive for what you get.

Celebrity is a couples holiday for us. Dont people do couples vacations any more? It would do your kids more good if you went away once in a while as a couple , than dragging them along because it is convenient, or cheaper for you.

It is not true that the new ships will have more for kids. In fact it is the opposite, Celebrity is looking to make "modern luxury" more of a reality with mid size ships that will have nothing for kids.

Modern luxury is not for those who want to change their babies and toddlers by the pool. It is not for those who bring strollers and prams aboard to wheel their offspings on the jogging track as those using them are trying to dodge them, it is not for kids in the dining room , where there is a certain decorum that is demanded/expected.

Cruise long enough and you will have all the things with babies, toddlers and kids in general to mar what should be a luxury experience.

Those of you here, that are so adamant that you take your children everywhere with you no matter how inappropriate because it suits you, when was the last time you went away just with your mate? I highly recommend it.

Moreover I recommend that you try Celebrity, have a quiet , romantic dinner, lay out by the pool or swim together, go dancing, stroll on deck after dinner, go into ports and enjoy time together, sit at a bar and toast each other, take a dance lesson, order room service and sit on the balcony, do a couples massage and all the other things I have left out here that can only be done on couple holidays.

There are those of us who do not have a significant other. I am a single mom and I really enjoy my vacations with my daughter. She is becoming a well traveled young lady and travel is very important to us because it is educational as well as fun.

Everyone has a different idea of what a vacation means to them.

As someone who went through it a few years ago, make sure you keep some proof that your child has been on these cruises for when they turn 18. Celebrity does change computer systems and info is lost. Its nice when your child turns 18 and they are made Elite.

Good advice. Thank you!

We did both with our kids and without, you are making an awful lot of assumptions that you can't prove, that are just assumptions. You don't know other people or their kids. I still stand by what I said, all the complaints here are from people who have never taken their kids on a Celebrity cruise and quite frankly don't know what they are talking about. If Celebrity didn't cater to families, they would have gone out of business a long time ago. If you were around during the merger with Royal you would know that.

Edited by dkjretired

If I were going to take two children those ages on a cruise - Celebrity would not be my choice. While there is a kids club and kids are obviously welcome on Celebrity - Celebrity isn't that line that caters to kids. Why not chose a line where the goal is tons of family fun with all the bells and whistles that come with that? Where kids can be kids without getting the stink eye.

Celebrity is more sedate and there is a lower threshold of tolerance for children acting like children. I wouldn't chose to put my young ones in a position where they were expected to act like adults and have none of the really cool things that kids like to do. Very few children would rather lay by the pool reading than ride a carousel, go wave riding or ice skating.

I'm one of the ones that would be expecting best behavior from your children if you sail Celebrity. We chose to sail when we expect the least amount of children to be on board, we aren't the people that will put up with crying babies in restaurants and strollers blocking the hallway.

Everyone's opinion is different but I think the OP could do better for the kids.

Edited by Jane2357

First, let me assure you that for the time frame i am looking for, the price of a RCI cruise was in fact double the price when i booked this cruise over a year ago....not that i should have to explain myself. Why else would i have chosen celebrity?????? Number 2, if celebrity was in fact truly for couples only, then i would not have been able to book for myself and my children because it would of been classified as an Adult only Cruise line...and it isn't. And probably most importantly....I INSIST on taking my children along on this cruise because we as a family have had 4 years of trauma and heartbreak, the latest being the death of my mother, so if i want to take my children on a cruise so we can gather our thoughts and be together, then that is my choice!! Yes, i have travelled as a 2some...me and my mum. And we had no issues with the children being on the ship..why would we. Oh and FYI, my children will indeed be eating in the MDR. After all, the experience of them eating in a formal environment is not alien to them so why should i deny them that because people have a problem with children being on their chosen cruise line!!! Obviously we will not be eating in any of the speciality restaurants, because i for one do believe they are adult enviroments and not suitable for my children. Especially my 6 and 9 year olds. I am sorry people do not approve of parents taking their children on a celebrity cruise, but this is what I have chosen, in part due to price, in part because i feel very at home on the Eclipse and also in part to soak in the memories myself and my mum shared on the 2 cruises we went on the Eclipse.

If I were going to take two children those ages on a cruise - Celebrity would not be my choice. While there is a kids club and kids are obviously welcome on Celebrity - Celebrity isn't that line that caters to kids. Why not chose a line where the goal is tons of family fun with all the bells and whistles that come with that? Where kids can be kids without getting the stink eye.

Celebrity is more sedate and there is a lower threshold of tolerance for children acting like children. I wouldn't chose to put my young ones in a position where they were expected to act like adults and have none of the really cool things that kids like to do. Very few children would rather lay by the pool reading than ride a carousel, go wave riding or ice skating.

I'm one of the ones that would be expecting best behavior from your children if you sail Celebrity. We chose to sail when we expect the least amount of children to be on board, we aren't the people that will put up with crying babies in restaurants and strollers blocking the hallway.

Everyone's opinion is different but I think the OP could do better for the kids.

Everyone is entitled to the holiday they want...lucky for me, at ages 6, 9 and 11, my lot are too old for strollers and crying in restaurants and blocking hallways. On the other hand, they are also too young for some of the things on the RCI ships, some of which require a minimum age of 11, meaning for 2 of my children it will be horrendous to see others play but they can't. I don't plan on taking them on Celebrity every time we cruise, this one is infact their first, so they don't know what else is available. But being disabled, my needs also need to be taken into account. I take my lot on a child orientated holiday in England each and every single year. Yes, this one is more for me, for a change. And I have way too much respect for the needs of others, than to allow my children to be the reason someone is unhappy.....We have a port intensive cruise, and we will be leaving the ship in every port and they will attend kids club from 9-5pm (other than between 12 and 2 for a swim and lunch), because i do not want any issue for anyone. That is not my aim. No, they certainly are not perfect, but they know when to behave. It will be an experience like no other for them.

I think the poster was doing the op a favor. One can assume the op has looked into what Celebrity has to offer and the simple fact is, Celebrity, currently, is geared towards adults. The reality is they are trying to lower the demographic from the 60+ crowd to 40+ with their modern luxury tag and now they are even trying to go after families. The fact that they need to put out brochures convincing people they have some things for kids to do should tell you that they do not attract many kids which, logically, means it is currently overwhelmingly adults aka an adult line. SOME kids will, of course, "love" Celebrity, but I would have to think that most kids would have a better time on something like Royal.

I've been on RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity and when asked, like here, I would give MY opinion which I certainly do have a right to give and it is that yes, absolutely, it is an "adult line" in the sense that there is much, much, much more for kids to do on other mass market lines. It's not being rude. It's common sense. Let's see. I have a 9 year old niece. With my experience, do I choose Royal, Carnival or Celebrity? Celebrity is not even in the equation and I would go with Royal because it is nice for everyone of all ages and FAMILY oriented where as Carnival attracts too many drunk 20 somethings and Celeb is an older crowd. I don't see how this is rude. Personally, when I see kids on Celebrity, I wonder if it's because the parents didn't want to downgrade from a premium line.

Have you been on RCL lately? Caribbean itineraries are much more expensive than Celebrity! Allure and Oasis are sometimes $500 more a week for same 7 days. Definitely a premium line!

AGain, another person making a recommendation without any basis for it. The children's programs on Celebrity are excellent. There have been many people who have posted on this board that they prefer Celebrity over Disney and Royal. One of the main reasons given is the children get more individualized attention than on the other lines. Not every child wants to climb walls or do the flo rider. I just don't see how people can tell others not to do something without any basis for it.

Celebrity clearly wants kids; just look through their website. They have started a program called itake where they attach gopro cameras to their heads and make their own videos. Also, they have, supposedly, the largest xbox at sea program.

I have also recently seen that they are offering free kids fares on Caribbean cruises. There is room for everyone on these large ships. Not all children are into rock climbing and flow riders. Some like the simplicity of hanging out with other kids or with their families. To the poster who says that we should cruise as couples... we do! Sometimes on a cruise and sometimes not!

Here is what Celebrity has to say; so if you don't like kids on your cruise, it's time to jump ship, lol!

Since they began in 1989, Celebrity Cruises have become synonymous with modern luxury cruising. Long-recognised as an industry leader, their spacious elegant interiors, superior service and exceptional cuisine has been the backbone of their offerings since its inception. The cruise line has also heralded many industry firsts over the last 25 years, including the first onboard spa, lawn club, hot glass show and acupuncture treatments at sea. They were also the first to use gas turbine engines to reduce exhaust emissions, just one of many environmental initiatives they’ve incorporated in their bid to preserve the pristine seas.

Today the Celebrity Cruises line has an outstanding fleet of 11 ships, and remains a favourite for families and couples who value service, relaxed ambience and exotic itineraries. As well as transatlantic and transpacific voyages, destinations include South America, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, Asia, the Panama Canal, Australia and New Zealand. They also offer year-round small ship adventure cruises to the Galapagos Islands. Wherever you go, exciting shore excursions help you to experience more and get the most out of your time in local ports.

Further to the impressive itineraries, Celebrity Cruises are celebrated for their wide range of programs and luxurious facilities. On the five newest new ships, 90% of the staterooms have outside views and 85% have a veranda. They are also dedicated to serving the finest food on board, with classic and contemporary menus created by a James Beard featured chef. Each restaurant, cafe, bar, lounge and club is unique in both flavour and atmosphere. When it comes to entertainment, the dazzling repertoire of sophistication continues. There are over 100 activities to choose from every day, in one of four categories: Taste, Learn, Revive or Play. Enjoy a dazzling stage show, join a wine crystal workshop, take a dance lesson, or play a round of mini-golf. And for the high rollers, you’ll love the on board casino.

Highlights

Top 5 Highlights for Families

An onboard youth and teen program will keep the kids entertained with fun activities like dance parties, games, sports, and arts and crafts. With 5 different age-groups, they’re bound to make new friends in no time!

Dedicated family rooms ensure the whole family can stay together and still have plenty of room.

The in-cabin babysitting sitting service is rare to find on cruises, and it’s a great alternative to the late-night youth programs.

Baby food can be provided for lunch and dinner if notified in advance, and special dietary requirements can be catered to.

VIP Passes for kids give them unlimited access to all activities, an exclusive behind-the-scenes ship tour, and a special goodie bag.

Top 5 Highlights for Couples

Check into the spa for a couples’ massage, relaxing facials, acupuncture or pedicure. There are tonnes of pampering indulgences to choose from, including special treatments for men.

The Celebrity Wine Experience brings the world of fine wine on board with a massive wine list and knowledgeable sommeliers, servers and cellar masters to guide you. There’s also a dedicated wine bar, wine-centric events and an impressive 2-storey glass wine tower.

Some ships have an adults-only pool, hot tub and deck area so you can truly escape and wind down.

Make the most of the 24-hour room service for a fabulous meal with the added luxury of complete privacy.

Special occasions packages mean you can really make your anniversary, honeymoon, wedding or birthday truly special. Opt for a customised experience or choose finishing touches like flowers, platters, champagne and breakfast in bed.

Celebrity clearly wants kids; just look through their website. They have started a program called itake where they attach gopro cameras to their heads and make their own videos. Also, they have, supposedly, the largest xbox at sea program.

I have also recently seen that they are offering free kids fares on Caribbean cruises. There is room for everyone on these large ships. Not all children are into rock climbing and flow riders. Some like the simplicity of hanging out with other kids or with their families. To the poster who says that we should cruise as couples... we do! Sometimes on a cruise and sometimes not!

Here is what Celebrity has to say; so if you don't like kids on your cruise, it's time to jump ship, lol!

Since they began in 1989, Celebrity Cruises have become synonymous with modern luxury cruising. Long-recognised as an industry leader, their spacious elegant interiors, superior service and exceptional cuisine has been the backbone of their offerings since its inception. The cruise line has also heralded many industry firsts over the last 25 years, including the first onboard spa, lawn club, hot glass show and acupuncture treatments at sea. They were also the first to use gas turbine engines to reduce exhaust emissions, just one of many environmental initiatives they’ve incorporated in their bid to preserve the pristine seas.

Today the Celebrity Cruises line has an outstanding fleet of 11 ships, and remains a favourite for families and couples who value service, relaxed ambience and exotic itineraries. As well as transatlantic and transpacific voyages, destinations include South America, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, Asia, the Panama Canal, Australia and New Zealand. They also offer year-round small ship adventure cruises to the Galapagos Islands. Wherever you go, exciting shore excursions help you to experience more and get the most out of your time in local ports.

Further to the impressive itineraries, Celebrity Cruises are celebrated for their wide range of programs and luxurious facilities. On the five newest new ships, 90% of the staterooms have outside views and 85% have a veranda. They are also dedicated to serving the finest food on board, with classic and contemporary menus created by a James Beard featured chef. Each restaurant, cafe, bar, lounge and club is unique in both flavour and atmosphere. When it comes to entertainment, the dazzling repertoire of sophistication continues. There are over 100 activities to choose from every day, in one of four categories: Taste, Learn, Revive or Play. Enjoy a dazzling stage show, join a wine crystal workshop, take a dance lesson, or play a round of mini-golf. And for the high rollers, you’ll love the on board casino.

Highlights

Top 5 Highlights for Families

An onboard youth and teen program will keep the kids entertained with fun activities like dance parties, games, sports, and arts and crafts. With 5 different age-groups, they’re bound to make new friends in no time!

Dedicated family rooms ensure the whole family can stay together and still have plenty of room.

The in-cabin babysitting sitting service is rare to find on cruises, and it’s a great alternative to the late-night youth programs.

Baby food can be provided for lunch and dinner if notified in advance, and special dietary requirements can be catered to.

VIP Passes for kids give them unlimited access to all activities, an exclusive behind-the-scenes ship tour, and a special goodie bag.

Top 5 Highlights for Couples

Check into the spa for a couples’ massage, relaxing facials, acupuncture or pedicure. There are tonnes of pampering indulgences to choose from, including special treatments for men.

The Celebrity Wine Experience brings the world of fine wine on board with a massive wine list and knowledgeable sommeliers, servers and cellar masters to guide you. There’s also a dedicated wine bar, wine-centric events and an impressive 2-storey glass wine tower.

Some ships have an adults-only pool, hot tub and deck area so you can truly escape and wind down.

Make the most of the 24-hour room service for a fabulous meal with the added luxury of complete privacy.

Special occasions packages mean you can really make your anniversary, honeymoon, wedding or birthday truly special. Opt for a customised experience or choose finishing touches like flowers, platters, champagne and breakfast in bed.

I meant to say that, as a couple, we vacation sometimes on a cruise and sometimes on land!

July 2014 for two weeks when we left the kids with my mum and sister and went on a cruise in the Mediterranean.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I missed my boys too much! They are great kids - articulate, funny, insightful - and we hated being away from them. Our eldest is 14 and the youngest is 7. That gives us roughly 12 more years to enjoy family holidays together before they are all grown up and we can take all the 'couples holidays' we want. So we've decided that they come with us - and that includes on Celebrity for two weeks next year on an itinerary that many have said is completely inappropriate for kids but that I am sure my boys will get a huge amount out of.

I feel a little sad for those who are so vocal about having couples holidays. It makes me think that maybe they don't enjoy their kids and their time together as family as much as my husband and I do. Enjoy this time! Revel in your kids - it is so short and it's gone in a flash!

I say that it depends on the kids and the cruise. We took our then 3 and 7 year old boys on a 12 night cruise to Norway. There were 10 kids total on that cruise and we did a mix of the kids being with us and kids club. They loved it and had a blast.

Both boys are pretty easy going and they loved the attention they got from the kids club workers. They even took part in the "kiss the fish" celebration as we crossed the arctic circle!

This was also their first cruise do we were a little worried about being on the Constellation so long, but we worried for nothing. In fact, we're now planning an Alaskan cruise with celebrity in 2 years with another family. It'll be strange to have more kids on the ship. Ha ha.

We travel with and without the kids, but mainly with them since our families live very far away.

I consider Celebrity more of an adult line, but that doesn't mean kids won't enjoy themselves.

Celebrity doesn't have water slides, flow riders, ice rinks, bumper cars, etc. If your kids are into these sorts of activities they may get more enjoyment on another line.

Celebrity is a couples holiday for us.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/family-fun-cruise?cS=Footer#&panel1-7&panel2-2

Endless options for family cruise fun

Our award-winning cruise experience is designed for all ages and interests. Most programs are geared to specific age groups and supervised by experienced youth staff members.

Toddler Time for kids under 3

Fun Factory for kids 3-11

X Club for teens

A variety of activities across the ship for all ages

....well, their New adds are now for more family-fun and less for grumpy People who want to have the ship for them self.....:)

For those who don't want to see a child while their are cruisng, they should move over to PO, Three ships without children......

http://www.pocruises.com/new-to-cruising/

Ships exclusively for adults

Imagine a holiday with tranquil, relaxing spaces; where you can share your day’s experiences with like-minded people and where you can enjoy fine dining and sophisticated bars. Our ships that are exclusively for adults offer just that.

If you'd like a ship that's exclusively for adults, you should consider Arcadia, Oriana or the small and perfectly formed Adonia, that seeks out the more unusual parts of the world.

My daughter was two years when she first time went crusing abord Constellation, and she loved that ship!

I have been sailing Celebrity since the the late 80s, my kids (6&8) have sailed on celebrity three times. Please ignore most of the negative comments. It couldn't be further from the truth on board. My kids have loved their sailings. They actually beg to go back. We drag them kicking out of the fun factory, they are begging to dress up for lunches and dinners in the MDR. We get a lot of older guests who comment and chat with us. They are a family friendly line. They key is to go over school holidays. The key with any cruise adult or family is being respectful of other passengers. While I am sure there are some adults who don't watch their kids, equally we have found those adults who touch and replace food at the buffet, talk down to the staff, run over others in scooters, or drink too much and shouting/talking to loud in the MDR. No matter age, everyone is welcome on Celebrity who is respectful of the rules and others enjoyment.

With that said, I think you would enjoy either line. My kids love dressing and going to the MDR to eat. They were treated like royalty. They loved the kids club and would look at the daily activities and choose those that interested them the most. They enjoyed several of the shows, I.e. Doug Camereon. They swim with us every day. On the reflection they enjoyed walking around with their grandparents exploring the various artwork around the ship.