Redeem BofA Free Cruise Points During Sale

Not sure why everyone keeps telling people they can't redeem their BofA points for a free cruise during a sale (i.e. BOGOHO). You can, but there is a catch. You have to pay the standard price. In some cases your $2,500 allowance will still cover it, while in other cases you may have to pay some additional dollars. That is the case regardless of a sale. But, you can still redeem your points during a sale. This has always been available, but you have to call to reserve as you can't choose standard pricing online.

I hope this clears up confusion around redeeming points in this manner.

Also, if this has already been stated and I missed it, I apologize. From what I've seen people have been told it's not possible at all.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Not sure why everyone keeps telling people they can't redeem their BofA points for a free cruise during a sale (i.e. BOGOHO). You can, but there is a catch. You have to pay the standard price. In some cases your $2,500 allowance will still cover it, while in other cases you may have to pay some additional dollars. That is the case regardless of a sale. But, you can still redeem your points during a sale. This has always been available, but you have to call to reserve as you can't choose standard pricing online.

I hope this clears up confusion around redeeming points in this manner.

Also, if this has already been stated and I missed it, I apologize. From what I've seen people have been told it's not possible at all.

This has been stated before, but maybe not so clearly.

The problem is that the BOGOHO prices are not really sale prices, they are regular prices in most cases. So when you remove the BOGOHO rates in order to apply the "free" cruise redemption, you are applying a credit to prices that are 33% higher than normal. In many cases, it's better to use the points for a straight discount.

Yes it has been stated that you can redeem your points for a free cruise if BOGOHO is taken off. Like Bob said above the pre BOGOHO prices are inflated so sometimes it works out well for you and sometimes it works out better to just take the $$ off the cruise fare.

I booked a free cruise this morning. I just had to search to find one that was under $1000 after BOGOHO was removed. I couldn't get the OBC that was being offered, but it was only $13 per person anyway.

This has been stated before, but maybe not so clearly.

The problem is that the BOGOHO prices are not really sale prices, they are regular prices in most cases. So when you remove the BOGOHO rates in order to apply the "free" cruise redemption, you are applying a credit to prices that are 33% higher than normal. In many cases, it's better to use the points for a straight discount.

The inflated prices are no problem if you are willing to take the free cruise as is - if the offer is for the minimum oceanview and you take that - it doesn't matter what the price is - other than you feel like you are getting more or less for your points.

It is when you want to upgrade past that minimum that you have to calculate which way is the better deal.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

I booked a free cruise this morning. I just had to search to find one that was under $1000 after BOGOHO was removed. I couldn't get the OBC that was being offered, but it was only $13 per person anyway.

That is something I didn't think about - I just called to see if the cruise we wanted was eligible.

The inflated prices are no problem if you are willing to take the free cruise as is - if the offer is for the minimum oceanview and you take that - it doesn't matter what the price is - other than you feel like you are getting more or less for your points.

It is when you want to upgrade past that minimum that you have to calculate which way is the better deal.

The price does matter as there is a maximum redemption amount for the free cruise.

The price does matter as there is a maximum redemption amount for the free cruise.

Yes, I figured that out after the next post. :o All of the 3 day cruises I was looking at were well under the $1000 point even without the BOGO, so I didn't even think about that limitation.

Yes, I figured that out after the next post. :o All of the 3 day cruises I was looking at were well under the $1000 point even without the BOGO, so I didn't even think about that limitation.

It doesn't give a maximum value when you redeem the points - just that it has to be a qualifying stateroom and itinerary. I wonder if they stick to the $1000 with the new "standard" pricing?

It doesn't give a maximum value when you redeem the points - just that it has to be a qualifying stateroom and itinerary. I wonder if they stick to the $1000 with the new "standard" pricing?

This document shows a max value of $1000 when redeeming a free 3/4 night cruise:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal_web_rewards_chart_6-17-15.pdf

Nope - no wiggle room. If the standard pricing is more than $1000 you pay the extra.:rolleyes:

Well - we are closing out one of our cards after this trip (draining it of points :D) We will have to see if we can save up enough on the other to use it for a Celebrity cruise.:cool: