So many questions! (Beverage Package, Dining Room, ect)

Thranduilien

I'm taking my very first cruise in May (It so so far away! How will I contain myself!), actually my very first vacation ever. I have so many questions and I can't seem to find the answers to them.

The cruise we are booked on is the 14 day Collectors Voyage to Alaska on the Noordam. I've heard that for the first 48 hours you are not allowed to serve yourself. I'm under the impression that you can book the first and second week as their own cruise, if that is true does that mean that this will happen twice? Does it also mean that the tea parties will be repeated and each will happen twice? Are we considered a 14 day cruise or two 7 day cruises? So confused!

We are doing the Explore4, myself and two other people all in the same cabin. I understand the Beverage Package will be for only the first two in the room. Does this mean the third person would have to buy as well? If so would they be required to buy even if they do not drink? (I don't know this person super well but from what I understand it conflicts with their medication. As I am not 100% certain on this I would love for both questions to be answered)

For quad rooms with a sofa bed, is it a twin bed or is it a double?

I am hoping at some point in the future to be cruising again, this time all with family. Is there always a discount on 3rd and 4th guests in the same room? If so what is it? If not I don't understand why people would want to cram into the same room.

If I grab a cup of tea from the coffee shop, can I get it in a to go cup or is it always in a 'proper' cup? If it is in a proper cup can I wander around the ship with it? If I can wander the ship with it, what do I do when I'm done with it? Do I just put it down or do I need to return it to the coffee shop?

What is there to do on a HAL ship in the middle of the night if one cannot sleep?

I'm aware some of these are strange questions but once something occurs to me I have a habit of obsessing until my question is answered. So any help at all will be greatly appreciated! (I'm sure I will come up with many more questions.)

P.S. This is my very first post here, so if I've done anything wrong or weird please point it out so I can learn :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The restriction on serving yourself does not happen every cruise. You may get lucky and not have it.

I don't think there is going to be anything to do in the middle of the night.

I wouldn't think your third person would have to buy the beverage package since yours comes from the Explore4 program.

Can't help with the other questions but I am sure you will get lots of good information.

Edited by Scrapnana

I'm taking my very first cruise in May (It so so far away! How will I contain myself!), actually my very first vacation ever. I have so many questions and I can't seem to find the answers to them.

The cruise we are booked on is the 14 day Collectors Voyage to Alaska on the Noordam. I've heard that for the first 48 hours you are not allowed to serve yourself. I'm under the impression that you can book the first and second week as their own cruise, if that is true does that mean that this will happen twice? Does it also mean that the tea parties will be repeated and each will happen twice? Are we considered a 14 day cruise or two 7 day cruises? So confused!

Yes, if they are doing this, it will happen with each cruise. even though you booked this as 1 cruise, it is really 2 separate cruises.

We are doing the Explore4, myself and two other people all in the same cabin. I understand the Beverage Package will be for only the first two in the room. Does this mean the third person would have to buy as well? If so would they be required to buy even if they do not drink? (I don't know this person super well but from what I understand it conflicts with their medication. As I am not 100% certain on this I would love for both questions to be answered)

No, the 3rd person is not required to purchase (or have) the Explore package.

For quad rooms with a sofa bed, is it a twin bed or is it a double?

Depends on the ship but usually a twin.

I am hoping at some point in the future to be cruising again, this time all with family. Is there always a discount on 3rd and 4th guests in the same room? If so what is it? If not I don't understand why people would want to cram into the same room.

There is usually a deep discount (and sometimes free) for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin. For some it is parents and children, for some it is financial.

If I grab a cup of tea from the coffee shop, can I get it in a to go cup or is it always in a 'proper' cup? If it is in a proper cup can I wander around the ship with it? If I can wander the ship with it, what do I do when I'm done with it? Do I just put it down or do I need to return it to the coffee shop?

You can ask for a to go cup and wander as you please. As these are disposable, you can throw it in the trash, ask a steward to throw it away or be tacky and just leave it on a table.

What is there to do on a HAL ship in the middle of the night if one cannot sleep?

I watch the waves, listen to music, have a cup of tea in the Lido, read.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the wonderful world of cruising. Hope you'll join in and be a regular here. There's lots of information, and the answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. I suggest you start by reading threads that seem to be of interest, and you might think of some of those questions to ask.

One of your questions is what to do in the middle of the night, if you can't sleep.

I love sitting outside on deck, watching the stars, listening to the sea, seeing the trail of water the ship leaves behind. It is so peaceful.

But, if you do go outside when no one is around, do be careful walking on the deck. Even though it isn't truly wet, there can be a thin film of moisture, and it's easy to slip and fall (I did that once, and came down very hard). Wear sensible shoes, and something you wouldn't mind being found in. ;)

Everything you get on the ship will be in a "proper" cup, glass or on an actual plate. You can wander around the ship with anything. When you are done, you can place the glass or dish about anywhere and the wonderful stewards will make sure it gets back to the right place. If you see a service area, it would be better to leave it there.

If the third person in a cabin doesn't have to purchase the signature beverage package, what is to stop them from sharing drinks with those who do have it? Wouldn't HAL be afraid of losing drink revenue?

I think HAL relies on its customers being honest people because sharing isn't allowed. And as the Explore4 package is coded to the 1st and 2nd passenger in the cabin you won't get 3 drinks on two key cards anyway.

Interestingly enough on some cruise lines ( I think it's Costa and MSC) ALL people travelling in one cabin are REQUIRED to buy a beverage package if one pax buys it. :eek: It's one of the reasons I wouldn't want to sail with them. Some people drink (whatever their choice), some people don't. So why should that other person be required to buy a package they don't need???

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you get your tea from the Lido -- open 24/7 -- it is in a regular cup.

If you buy a special tea from the Explorations Café -- it comes in a paper cup.

For our last few cruises -- including the Noordam -- the 48 hour Code Orange has been removed. It was only for the Lido that you could not help yourself to anything.

On your Collector's Cruise -- you will have to attend 2 lifeboat drills. One in Vancouver on the first leg and again in Seward when the second leg begins.

I think HAL relies on its customers being honest people because sharing isn't allowed. And as the Explore4 package is coded to the 1st and 2nd passenger in the cabin you won't get 3 drinks on two key cards anyway.

Interestingly enough on some cruise lines ( I think it's Costa and MSC) ALL people travelling in one cabin are REQUIRED to buy a beverage package if one pax buys it. :eek: It's one of the reasons I wouldn't want to sail with them. Some people drink (whatever their choice), some people don't. So why should that other person be required to buy a package they don't need???

I agree that some people drink alcohol and some don't but the package covers much more than alcoholic drinks. Virgin cocktails, bottled water, lattes, etc. you cannot get three drinks at a time but you CAN go back five minutes later and get another. It would be very easy to have three people using two cards. I'm just surprised that HAL hasn't tried to cover this situation. Sadly, counting on honesty doesn't always work ... Ask those who use rum runners, etc.

Welcome, and enjoy your trip. You will find that there is a lot of helpful information on cruise critic.

It appears that your questions have been answered, and that you have also done due diligence and researched a lot on your own.

Cruising isn't necessarily for everyone, but I have found it a great way to travel. Read reviews and gather all the information you can. Each line offers a different experience, and we have enjoyed trying several of them to see what works and doesn't work for us.

Our blog (below) has a review of the Amsterdam trip we took, which was our first Holland America trip. We had a great time and will be back.

Thanks for stopping by and welcome again to cruise critic.

... I'm aware some of these are strange questions but once something occurs to me I have a habit of obsessing until my question is answered. So any help at all will be greatly appreciated! (I'm sure I will come up with many more questions.):)

It appears that other CCers have answered your specific questions, so I won't re-plow those fields. But if you want general HAL-specific information on cruising, I recommend HAL's "Know Before You Go" booklet. For your convenience, I am attaching a copy. Enjoy your cruise!!!

HAL Know Before You Go brochure.pdf

Edited by avian777