San Pedro Pier?

joanne1

I know that some of this has been asked before but I did a search and could not find what I was looking for so . . .

I am planning on going on a quick 3 day repositioning cruise on the Island Princess. Leaves LA on May 12th - Princess says that it is using the San Pedro pier but I have read that some have been changed to Long Beach. I will be flying in on the same day (which I have never done before) arriving at 11:30 I am going with Princess' info - San Pedro Pier - which is the best airport (Long Beach or LAX) to fly into? Best way to get to the pier?

Any other info about the pier or 3 day cruises would be great!!

Thanks!

Joanne

03/25/04 Island Princess
08/15/03 Majesty of the Sea (b to b)
03/26/03 Sun Princess
12/15/02 Grand Princess

Last month I flew into LAX to catch the Regal Princess in San Pedro. The bus ride to the pier was about 20 minutes or so. Not very long. I don't know if this is how it would be for you, but on my trip, they provided transfer vouchers for everyone. If you didn't buy the transfer in advance, you could simply use the ticket and the charge will show up on your account. I think it was $25 each way.

Angela
[i]NCL Norway 1982; Sitmar Fairsea 1983; Costa Carla C 1984; Sitmar Fairwind 1985; Carnival Mardi Gras 1985; Sitmar Fairsea 1986; Sitmar Fairsky 1987; NCL Skyward 1990; NCL Sunward 1990; Carnival Ecstasy 1993; RCL Nordic Empress 1994; Regal Princess 1994; Star Princess 1995; Golden Princess 2002; Celebrity Infinity 2003; Regal Princess March 6, 2004[/i]

We just came back from the Diamond Princess last Saturday. We flew into Long Beach--I would recommend it highly. We took Jet Blue--great airline! LAX is large and difficult to get to and maneuver around. On return to LAX, because of traffic, it can take awhile to get up to the departure entrance. Long Beach Airport is like the airports from years ago. You get off the plane (by stairs) and go right into the airport--baggage is right there, and you can immediately exit. It also was so much easier when we returned--no real lines or back up in security like you would find in LAX. It is only 20 minutes south from LAX but much closer to the San Pedro and Long Beach piers (both piers are only about 10 minutes apart). If I ever go back to LA, I will definitely go through Long Beach if I can--much easier, no traffic, faster. Rental cars are right across the street from baggage claim--about 1 minute walk. It's all a breeze--recommend it highly!

Long Beach airport is very convenient. However, unless you're flying Jet Blue it may be a pricey flight. Both Long Beach and LAX are about the same distance in miles and time. Book what you want to pay, not location.

Andrea

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;8;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Star Princess - 08/23/03 - Alaska

No real difference between SanPedro and LGB. Both harbors are adjacent and LGB airport is closest to both. It is is very convenient. You get off plane, walk 50 feet, get luggage, walk 20 feet and get in the cab. 10-15 minutes to Ports with much less likelihood of traffic delays.

Joanne,

So glad you asked this question. We just rec'd our docs today and noted we're departing from San Pedro - for some reason I was thinking we were leaving from Long Beach. Too bad, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the QM hotel! Maybe next time?

Up next - Pacific NorthWest Coastal!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Navigator of the Seas - 01/05
Dawn Princess - 10/04
Grand Princess - 11/04 (Cancelled)
Grand Princess - 10/04 (Cancelled)
Island Princess - 05/04
Grand Princess - 10/03
Norway - 10/03 (Cancelled)
Wind Surf - Transatlantic 4/02

Again, do not fret . . . either airport will work out fine. This cruise departs from San Pedro, Port of Los Angeles, not Long Beach. Again, price should be your baronmeter.

Andrea

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;8;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Star Princess - 08/23/03 - Alaska

Joanne.... I too thank you for asking this question. I just booked the 3-day coastal and had assumed we'd be embarking from Long Beach.

Looks like we'll be staying at an LAX hotel the night before. Anyone have an estimate of cab fare to San Pedro?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Looks like we'll be staying at an LAX hotel the night before. Anyone have an estimate of cab fare to San Pedro?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We booked the SUper Shuttle. It's $25 first the first person and then $9 for each one after that in your party, plus $1 per person surcharge. So, for two, it's $36.

Up next - Pacific NorthWest Coastal!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Navigator of the Seas - 01/05
Dawn Princess - 10/04
Grand Princess - 11/04 (Cancelled)
Grand Princess - 10/04 (Cancelled)
Island Princess - 05/04
Grand Princess - 10/03
Norway - 10/03 (Cancelled)
Wind Surf - Transatlantic 4/02

Archived