Deals for singles

Love2Cruise4Less

Newest ships on most of the big lines have now included some (not very many) cabins specifically for singles at a better rate than previous normal cabin rates on those lines. And, some lines have plans to convert some cabins on older ships to "singles" cabins with lower rates due to an increasing demand from single cruisers. The media I've read says those new single cabins go super fast since there is a higher demand. I've not seen one yet listed, but then I don't think I've been searching for any of those newest ships yet either -- since most of those generally wind up in the Caribbean and I've not been interested in trips there, been there, done that.

So, if you do search a line's site, research their newest ship. (The smoking will still be a problem, and since I'm a non-smoker that makes me happier.) Good luck.

Do any have verandahs? Some of us solos want a verandah.

HAL's Koningsdam is going to have some small solo cabins. They don't look much appealing, nor much of a bargain, IMO. Far forward.

Edited by sail7seas

Do any have verandahs? Some of us solos want a verandah.

HAL's Koningsdam is going to have some small solo cabins. They don't look much appealing, nor much of a bargain, IMO. Far forward.

I can't say that I've researched it extensively but I haven't heard of an single cabins with balconies. Another thing that bugs me is that they are generally not half the price of a double. There is always a little extra supp in there:rolleyes:.

The single cabins on the Koningsdam are OV. They are very far forward where the size of the cabins becomes small. It appears there's no room for a couch. I looked into one of these, but they sold out before I booked. In retrospect, I don't think I'd be happy with the location. Also, for the cruise I was shopping, the difference in price between a regular cabin at 200% and the solo cabin was not that great.

I am a non-smoker, so perhaps I am missing something obvious, but I would suggest booking an inside cabin as close as possible to a permitted smoking area. This would minimize any inconvenience to you for a late-night or early-morning smoke.

I can't recall on HAL ships, but on Princess there are some aft insides that are just a few feet away from an outside door and approved smoking area.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

I was just researching for my own trip and came across the following from the HAL site:

Single guests who agree to share a stateroom with another nonsmoking guest of the same sex pay only the per-person, double-occupancy rate. (If we can't find a partner for you, you cruise solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare.) Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category. This program applies to selected staterooms on all ships in our fleet. The Single Partner Program is not available on Grand Voyages or Alaska*CruiseTours.

Just FYI

The single cabins on the Koningsdam are OV. They are very far forward where the size of the cabins becomes small. It appears there's no room for a couch. I looked into one of these, but they sold out before I booked. In retrospect, I don't think I'd be happy with the location. Also, for the cruise I was shopping, the difference in price between a regular cabin at 200% and the solo cabin was not that great.

Thank you.

Very helpful post. It was my understanding the pricing was not particularly attractive. I'd rather pay more and get the cabin I want in location I like. If I'm not going to be comfortable in my room on vacation, I'd rather not go. :o

I was just researching for my own trip and came across the following from the HAL site:

Single guests who agree to share a stateroom with another nonsmoking guest of the same sex pay only the per-person, double-occupancy rate. (If we can't find a partner for you, you cruise solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare.) Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category. This program applies to selected staterooms on all ships in our fleet. The Single Partner Program is not available on Grand Voyages or Alaska*CruiseTours.

Just FYI

Speaking only for myself........ NOT a Chance Under This Sun !!

No way I'd consider sharing a cabin with one of my friends let alone a stranger. :eek: No telling what a nightmare that could be.

Don't count on a free upgrade from the lanai cabin. I had one booked for Voyage of the Vikings two years ago and got an upsell offer to a balony cabin overlooking the sea on the aft end, (one of those added-on ones everyone complains about since the change to the ship did away with a pool) and since I was solo the original cost ofthe upsell was an extra 100%. This sure was a one-time big treat.

In March and April of this year I was looking for an Alaska cruise for $1,000/under for an inside or OV on any cruise line sailing in May or June. No luck.

I did find a Pacific Coastal cruise in early May for right around $1,000 (including port charges and taxes) for an OV. This was about $600 less then any Alaska cruise I was able to find. So I got my cruise fix. The solo deals thread on this board has had some great cruise deals.

Faith

Many many many years ago (when newspapers were the most common form of communication :) ) a friend of mine wanted to see the world, so advertised for a travel companion. She got a number of replies and found someone compatible. They actually did travel most of the world together, over the course of a few years.

I just googled "solo travel seeking roommate" and got a number of returns. Have you tried anything like that? Having a roommate would certainly help with the cost of a balcony cabin.

Well, yikes CowPrincess, you may be older than am I! I love my computer and I am addicted to Google. Yet, some days I long for the days before computers, Google, email and texting. LOL @ newspapers! Anyone remember the old days of actually going to a library to read/do research?!?

In March and April of this year I was looking for an Alaska cruise for $1,000/under for an inside or OV on any cruise line sailing in May or June. No luck.

Faith, I admit that in recent years I haven’t been searching for, specifically, Alaska cruises. But I have found that, Caribbean cruises excepted, Alaska is not all that pricey. Inside/ocean view cabins are very reasonable. Where have you been searching? (Admittedly, I forgot this is an HAL thread…. For Alaska, try a different cruise line for inexpensive, in/out cabin prices.)

Edited by Love2Cruise4Less

One of the 'must remain nameless' cruise travel websites has a section for single cruises and lists the single supplements.

HAL's Prinsedam Grand Med cruise is listed at 0% single supplement (yes, that does read zero). The 2016 WC lowered the single supplement (at least for ocean view cabins) from 50% to 25%. May the trend continue!!!!

One of the 'must remain nameless' cruise travel websites has a section for single cruises and lists the single supplements.

HAL's Prinsedam Grand Med cruise is listed at 0% single supplement (yes, that does read zero). The 2016 WC lowered the single supplement (at least for ocean view cabins) from 50% to 25%. May the trend continue!!!!

I'm booked on the Grand Med and was surprised at the attractive pricing so your post expains a lot. I didn't delve into the details of the pricing but just took what I saw as a good deal. For the first time in over 40 years I made a solo cruise on Voyage of the Vikings in a mid ship OV. Fantastic cruise in all respects, but it also challenged my ideas on what would satisfy me in a cabin formed over decades of cruising with my late wife. First, I was on the go from morning to night and didn't spend enough time in the cabin to care much about it. Second, I think I would have slept better in an inside on a cruise that spend most of its itinerary where darkness was in short supply. Anyway, cabin habits don't always render the best accomodations for the situation.

We have to be careful when comparing prices. The price that the nameless site is basing the zero percent solo supplement off of is much higher than what HAL is charging for a 2 person per person price for the same cabin. It is still a good solo supplement, but much greater than zero percent.

We have to be careful when comparing prices. The price that the nameless site is basing the zero percent solo supplement off of is much higher than what HAL is charging for a 2 person per person price for the same cabin. It is still a good solo supplement, but much greater than zero percent.

Good point.

Just FYI

What they don't mention is if HAL finds you a roommate you both must pay full list price. No deals, no sales. They say it is to prevent a problem with one paying more/less than the other. :( I have looked into it.