Currently on board the FREEDOM

High Seas Texan

Greetings Gentle Readers.

For this post I am going to focus on the PLAYLIST PRODUCTION SHJOWS. There has been much discussion here and on some other sites about the quality of the shows dropping since Carnival has ceased having live show band. I was not sure if I would enjoy these new shows, and, based on some other cut backs was not enthusiastic to make attending a priority as I have in the past for the production shows featuring the live band. The first show I saw, 88 KEYS was all right, with some technical problems, but I saw potential. For that particular show, the piano player gave a pre and post show performance. I am not a fan of the current piano player and have not gone to the piano bar much. This happens. I have been on some ships where the entertainer in the piano bar was awsome, had a good range and great personality, and I have been on some where the entertainer did not even really know how to play the piano. This particular guy, Tony, is just not to my style. But I digress. Tony gave the opening pre show for the first show I saw in the lounge and coupled with the technical problems, left me with just a (yawn) "well, this filled some time before dinner" feel.

Last night we went back to the show lounge to see HEART OF SOUL. The Cruise Director did the warm up show. I really like the current CD, Malcome. Very amusing, good personality and high spirited. The show, HEART OF SOUL featured music and songs from an era I can relate too (the"oldies" to some) and the dancers and routines were very, very good. I loved the show. All of the video screens functioned properly, and they added a pleasant dimension to the overall show. Now had the screens NOT been working, it would have been a distraction, but remember, the people on stage are what we really come to see. Then I thought about the music: Once the band is introduced, they usually descend into the pit and you do not see them, only hear. SO, does it matter really where the music comes from for the entertainers and dancers on stage? Overall? In my opinion, no. the show was good. High energy. Non stop flow of music, songs, dance routines, lovely people, both female and male dancers working to entertain us. I was entertained. I conclude that I do like the new playlist shows and I encourage people to go see one and decide for themselves. I went, was not sold, but went back and am very pleased that I did.

In the past, one of the high lights of the cruises i have taken was the evening entertainment. I am pleased to report that there are still many, many options, in a variety of genres, to please a very wide range of discerning tastes.

Just a follow up on the cabin temp situation: Really, really bad. I complained at the beginning of the cruise about the warm cabin. Last night, at 12:30AM, returned and it felt really too warm to sleep. I called and was told someone would be "right up". I waited until 2:00AM for someone to come, then called to say forget it, as I had to get some sleep to be up early for an off the ship excursion. At that time I was told someone came, knocked and I was not there so they closed the report. now THAT made me very, very angry as I had been sitting at the desk, by the door, waiting and NO ONE knocked. I hate being lied to. I went down to the desk to complain and threatened to remove the gratuities and stated I needed to speak to someone in the morning ASAP, IN THE MORNING but now I needed sleep. Upon returning to the cabin, a woman from housekeeping was hter. Housekeeping, not engineering, and had just a little box that was suppose to read the temperature. She said it was 71 degrees and I had no basis to complain. She did sent a broken fan to the room that had one low speed functioning. The buttons for hte higher speeds are missing. No response from my request to speak to engineering today, and the cabin is still to warm. I bought a trinket thermometer in Cozumel and it is reading between 85 and 90 degrees. Now this meter is a cheap souvenir, but the cabin, Grand Suite, mid ship, 7307 is just too warm for comfort. I will be looking for fans to travel with for future cruises. I had thought the newer ships were just "green" and trying to save energy, but this older, smaller ship now indicated this is a cost cutting measure by Carnival which is not agreeing with em. Take away my chocolates, take away the show bands, do away with table clothes, but DO NOT TAKE AWAY MY COOLING. And I am not the only one here on this ship, or others, to note the increased warm temps.

Tomorrow (later today actually now) is our last day at sea before returning to Galveston. I am doing the BEHIMD THE FUN tour in the morning. Looking forward to that. Will post and recap the cruise as it comes to an end. Some people reading will think me over critical, a constant complainer and a real "joy" <rolls eyes> to be with. Overall, this has been a great cruise which I have enjoyed. I look forward to my next one. My expectation have had a correction, but I still enjoy Carnival and hope others will too.

Cheers all.

I bought a trinket thermometer in Cozumel and it is reading between 85 and 90 degrees. Now this meter is a cheap souvenir, but the cabin, Grand Suite, mid ship, 7307 is just too warm for comfort.

85-90 degrees:eek: I would be sleeping out on the balcony- it is probably cooler there at night than in the cabin! Keep calling to complain, keep visiting the Guest Services desk, and don't give up! Also write a letter upon debark to CCL telling them of the problem, and how much valuable vacation time was "wasted" on this problem with no solution. Are the other GS's near you just as warm? Check with your neighbors. Could be a problem with your vents, though I gather you checked that the vents are open- though if they are blowing out warm air that really doesn't help. I feel so bad for you - I would be beside myself, as I need it cool to sleep.

Wife and I were on the freedom mid august to the montego bay trip.

We will be on freedom again mid oct for the Bahamas trip.

we had a middle, balcony on 8th floor.

as room was not cold it wasn't hot either. I DO bring a small portable fan

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/10-inch-portable-fan.html

you can get at Wal-Mart.

overall we had a good time. we missed out on one of the shows as they had it on the funtimes at a different location, we sat thru a different one waiting for the one we were wanting to see and thought it was running behind.

the cruise director was Wee Jimmy. Ok I guess.

Wife noted several times on the lack of communication for port departures etc.

Food was good at the lido, we missed the fish and chips. pizza was subpar in my opinion. MDR was good and attendants were right there.

overall it was an enjoyable time.

mentioned before but piano player was kinda boring. 88 keys was enjoyable.

my 02 as usual

Michael

Greetings! I will be glad to take a picture, but I do not know how to get a photo posted here....anyone walk me through it? I can take a picture with either a cellular telephone or an IPAD.

Thanking in advance.

I've got time, you don't have to post them while on board (if you still are)...just send it to my E-Mail hollywood84 at gmx.ch. Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the freedom in March and absurdly loved it. Everything was excellent and the only thing I could even start to complain about was lack of activities from 12-3.....going again in March and still looking forward to it [emoji1]

The wife and I have been on many cruises since 1999, about 16, mostly Carnival. I can honestly say we have had no bad experiences or not enough to complain about. For you first time cruisers it's what you make of it. There is alot of people that chat about their bad experiences, well most of them you can't make happy if they were givin the cruise for free. We are leaving on the Oct 17th on the Freedom, we expect to have a good time. So my advice is to pay no attention to the cruise critics