Scandanavian and Russian Eclipse cruise

Mynki

The highlight of this cruise for most people is undoubtedly St. Petersburg. For a tourist interested in museums, palaces, and historical sites, it rivals Rome, Paris, and London in my opinion. I agree that booking private tours with SPB, Alla, or other well known tour agencies will allow you to see more at a lower cost. Stockholm is nice as well as Helsinki, Copenhagen and the other stops but nothing compares with St. Petersburg. Be prepared for a lot of walking and long days if you tour in these ports as there is so much to see. However, save yourself for St. Petersburg.

Here are a few photos from St. Petersburg:

The Catherine Palace

CatherinesPalace.jpg

Art student copying a painting in the Hermitage

ArtStudentatHermitage.jpg

The Imperial Chapel at the Peterhof

ImperialChapelPeterhof.jpg

St. Isaac's Square and Cathedral

P1030577_zpschei2oxv.jpg

St. Nicholas Cathedral

StNicholasCathedral.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I did a 2 week Baltic cruise on Celebrity many years ago. It was a great cruise. I would take it again. However, I will not go to Russia due to the political unrest. I would like it if Celebrity would cruise without a stop in St. petersburg. Other cruise lines are doing Baltic cruises without a stop in Russia.

Thank you so very much.

• 1 month later...
If you can possibly do a private cruise, not with a small group, but private, you will be able to see so much more and not wait in line. There will be times when you are in rooms alone and for photos it will be wonderful, Yes, it is expensive, yet worth every penny!!! We had two full days and were always driven to every entrance and treated like royalty, seeing everything we wanted to see without being so tired. We went in 2014!!!

Would you mind letting me know the name of the company you went with please. Did you book in advance and was it paid up front?

Thank you.

I've done this with Royal embarking in Copenhagen and disembarking in Stockholm. Saved on sea days before and after.

We had 3 days in St Petersburg. Booked all three with Alla and day 2 we went to Moscow by train. Unforgettable.

In Warnemunde I booked a private tour. Was picked up at the pier and driven to Berlin for a specific Jewish heritage tour. Cannot recommend Heidi of http://heidileyton.com/ highly enough. She brought her little dog with. Very special day.

My blog of the whole cruise with pics is here

Hi all

Thinking of doing the 14 day Scandanavian and Russian cruise sailing from Southampton next july.

To those who already have, what were the highlights of your trip? Would you recommend it? Do you have any tips or pearls of wisdom you'd care to share? :)

Thanks in advance.

I've done this cruise twice and have 3 July next year booked. I love Stockholm and Copenhagen as well as St Petersburg. I don't go crazy on tours in St Petersburg and tend to do half day tours and enjoy the ship for the other half of the day. Stockholm Warnemunde Talinn and Copenhagen just don't need tours and are great to explore on your own.

I highly recommend the cruise

Ian

Op, we did the same cruise you are contemplating in June this year. I would have to say that we thought it was our second best cruise in 25 cruises.

I would second what lydnsyd said about getting to Vasa first thing on the boat that goes directly there. Just follow the red line when you get off the ship. It will take you to the HOHO boat. Vasa was empty when we entered and we enjoyed quite a bit till it started to fill up. By the time we left, you could hardly move.

I would also recommend the ballet in St P.

We did not go to Berlin when we docked at Warnemunde. Instead we took Dave's tours around Warnemunde and to Schwerin castle. While on the bus we were given menus for the restaurant we were to visit and we all gave our orders which were phoned in and ready for us when we got there. I thought that was a brilliant idea. The food was awesome too.

• 5 weeks later...
Do you need visas for any port and if so can you get it on the ship.

We booked a 2 day deluxe tour with SBP tours in St Petersburg. You need to provide your passport details when you book( no pre payment)

Along with your confirmation come your tour tickets, which you need to print out.

Two weeks before the cruise, you will be sent an email reminding you to take your tour ticket. This needs to be in your passport and shown to immigration when you enter St Petersburg. These are then checked on the agents computer, so act as the Visa to enter Russia.

Edited by upwarduk