OMG..How do you do it?

qoap24

I am 28 days away until I leave for Vancouver to sail on the Jewel and I cannot wait any longer!

Normally when I book a cruise it is only 60 days out. This time we planned it out longer and it is driving me crazy. I cannot wait!

I was telling my daughter that I cannot plan a cruise this far out in advance again. I was thinking we started planning 6 months ago, and she replied, "Mom, we only started planning for this in JUNE." :eek: It feels like forever ago.

I know part of the fun for cruising is the planning, but how do you book so far in advance and not drive everyone around you crazy? I'm making myself nuts, I can't imagine what I'm doing to everyone else around me.

I am 28 days away until I leave for Vancouver to sail on the Jewel and I cannot wait any longer!

Normally when I book a cruise it is only 60 days out. This time we planned it out longer and it is driving me crazy. I cannot wait!

I was telling my daughter that I cannot plan a cruise this far out in advance again. I was thinking we started planning 6 months ago, and she replied, "Mom, we only started planning for this in JUNE." :eek: It feels like forever ago.

I know part of the fun for cruising is the planning, but how do you book so far in advance and not drive everyone around you crazy? I'm making myself nuts, I can't imagine what I'm doing to everyone else around me.

Your post made me laugh - and is so true!!! I booked ours in January, not going until November! I'm sure I'm driving my husband & friends crazy with all the talking about what to do, eat, see, etc. But like you said, planning is part of the fun & I kind of enjoy the anticipation too. It gives me something to look forward to when I'm having a bad day ;-)

Have a great cruise! I'm required to have lots of patience when we book ours. My husband has to give several months notice to his job so our last one was booked almost 2 years in advance and it's been over a year so far since our current one was booked. Looking forward to the day that we can take last minute cruises!

I can tell you that having countdown clocks all over the place certainly doesn't make it any easier. I have these sitting on my desktop -- mocking me...

countdowns.jpg

My daughter likes to send me countdown reminders all the time. I use to find them cute, but not anymore....hahahaha

Enjoy your trip!! When I booked 1st 7 day cruise (NCL) last year, It was at least a 9 month long wait, so when I saw a Carnival deal for 8 days (No solo supplement, so basically half off); I took it. :)

For this year and next year's trips - I winded up getting 12 days and 3 weeks cruises, respectively; so I'm not really taking any 7 day last minute trips; seems like fair trade off for long cruise vacations. :D

I usually look at youtube videos of the Breakaway / Getaway or pictures of NCL food to past the time.

Edited by maywell

And the saddest part is, once you're on the ship, it's over in the blink of an eye. That's why I try to appreciate the planning and the days/weeks/months leading up to the cruise as part of the vacation.

Harvey

Like us, many pax booked the NCL Escape even before it was assembled.

Gives ya lots of dream time.:p

We booked the Escape last April, I think. First time booking a cruise before there was an actual ship. I must admit it made me a little anxious, but we got a great deal. Sail date January 2016. The one thing I like about booking so far in advance is that I have more time to pay it off [emoji16]

Book another cruise further in the future as a destraction to the next one. That's what we do. :rolleyes:

Fellow workers ask, "When's your NEXT cruise?", not realizing it's the same one.

They think we go on cruises every few months.:p

We have 4 currently booked on 3 different cruise lines. The closest one is still 63 days out, one is 149 days out, another is 14 months away and the furthest one out is 17 months away. Each one provides a distraction. As we sail each one I know that another one will get booked and the cycle will continue, at least as long as the money holds out! The only thing that stinks is that there is $3500 out there in deposits that could make the bank balance look better.

Edited by DebJ14

We are going in a large group on 11/29/15 and booked in May 2014. The rates were so good and everyone had plenty of time to save and pay a little at a time so more people opted in. Its a fun trip - 3 days in NOLA at the Royal Sonesta, then a 7 night cruise in the aft penthouse and its nice to be able to plan for that financially for a long time so you can really do it up big!.

:)

The beauty I have, is I cruise frequently, and take advantage of late bookings. I do have some further out cruises, but, I'm cruising multiple times prior.

I find it "interesting", the way out bookings, like over a year, and no cruises until then? So much happens in my life, I don't want to plan like that.

Some people are constrained with their planning, all kinds of reasons for booking so far ahead. Some are out of necessity, some, have to put in time off from work requests, some have very narrow cabin requirements, some have flights to book etc etc etc. I'm not in any of those groups. :)

We don't cruise that often and on our last cruise we introduced my MIL to cruising. She enjoyed it more than she thought she would. Probably due to the relaxed atmosphere of NCL and Freestyle. On that cruise (in 2012) we started talking about some other cruises we might like to do. My DW and I started down our bucket list of places we would like to see from a cruise ship. Canada and New England was one that piqued her interest. So we determined our next cruise destination. I was out of work at the time so we could not do anything until I found work. In 2013 I found suitable employment and we started looking at a cruise vacation and set sights on 2016 I would have enough vacation time built up and have enough in savings to handle the trip.

So in essence we have been talking about this cruise and doing some sort of planning since 2012 - 4 yrs from when we are doing the cruise :D :eek:

The cruise itself has been booked since Dec of 14. And it is a good thing we did because as of now, all the cabins in our category are sold out. We had our choice. We also wanted an SC suite (only 10 on the Dawn) for the added bedroom for the MIL. She felt a bit self conscious getting dressed in the SF suite we had in AK.

I have been in pseudo planning mode - taking a big picture look at all 10 ports. Now with a little over a year to go I am starting to pin things down. I am just putting together ideas for Boston now (I think I have the flights and hotel down).

We will need to sit down with the high level views and hone in on what we really want to see. I have learned that trying to cram in too much does not make for a good vacation. :cool:

Planning is half the fun :D

I can relate. We booked our September cruise last year in November. The closer it gets, the more excited I get. To contain myself, I obsess over every detail, check cruise critic several times a day and overdose on YouTube videos. In other words, I drive myself and everyone around me crazy.