Article in Interior Design Magazine About the Star

Carol From California

I happened to see a copy of this magazine with an article about the design of the new Viking Star. http://m.interiordesign.net/projects/detail/2680-shore-to-ship-welcome-aboard-the-viking-star-cruiseliner-by-rottet-studio/

There are some great photos and information about what went in to the design. We are about to embark on the Star in a few weeks.

The seats of some chairs on Viking Star are lower than most and make for difficulty in standing up. I never could figure out a pattern other than the "living room" seating in our Explorer suite was noticably lower so we and guests to the room most often sat at the table seating,

I took measurements of seating heights using a tape measure from the sewing kit we brought with but I've misplaced that info since returning in June.

We thoroughly enjoyed the design of the ship. The clean lines, the natural light, the open and the cozy spaces. We did not notice unusually low seating - but we were not in an Explorers suite, we were in a PV and found it to be very comfortable. Enjoy your trip Carol!! Thank you for sharing this article.

Edited by Vineyard View

Carol

What fantastic photographs, it will be so interesting to see what if anything has changed by the time we board in a few weeks time. The shot of the sofa, with cushions and blankets on one of the upper decks looks brilliant, just hope nothing has changed.

See you soon.

Neil & Jeanette

The Star indeed looks just like the pictures. They did an absolutely fantastic job on the design of the Star, with some really gorgeous surface finishes and textures. Some of the surfaces though I had to question - wondering about their durability. For example, our coffee table top was about 3/4 leather (or some kind of leather looking synthetic) and 1/4 beautiful coarsely woven fabric. I tried to be very careful about not putting a glass or cup down, but do have to admit that I once forgot and my tea left a partial ring on the fabric side. I tried my Tide-to-Go pen to no avail. Tried everything I could think of, but could not get it out.

The top of the desk is a leather or leather-like surface and it too left rings just from the condensate from a cold glass. Unfortunately, there are not any coasters in the room. And where else can you put a glass down?

In our bathroom there were 2 farmstyle sinks (which was great!) But the space between the two was narrow and recessed from the sinks. This space appeared to be wood and would get wet when using the sinks. I think this area is going to require constant maintenance and caulking.

In the Star Theater there are lots of lovely bucket leather chairs. The first time we went into the Theater I noticed that all of them had a nick or tear in the back left hand corner. Such a shame!

I do agree with Leo about the height of a lot of the chairs - we too found some of them too low and hard to get out of. Vineyard View by the way is in fantastic shape so I can easily see why she didn't have any trouble. Leo and my DH and myself not so much...:D

Hey there Elizabeth.....thank you for that compliment. Like I said, I just can't comment on height of chairs for whatever the reason. I do agree with your concern around the in-cabin 'coffee table'. I was worried about staining the beautiful woven material accidentally as well.

The infinity pool lounges outside were woven and fairly comfortable IMHO. The lounges around the indoor/outdoor main pool I believe had cushions.....along with all the lounge chairs facing the windows along both sides in that area.

Edited by Vineyard View