Taking packaged snacks on board.

Floridanamaw

[emoji15][emoji15]didn't mean to start a war on here! I just want to take some prepackaged snacks to munch on while out and about! We are not ones to eat in port anywhere we are, for a number of reasons. Thank you all that have assured me it's okay to take them. I would never, ever take food from ship into ports.

One of the things I really enjoy about traveling is trying food in other countries. Food is so plentiful in all locations and usually very cheap and it's really good. I have experienced some of the best meals of my life onshore trying local specialties during cruises. I can't imagine wasting calories on a snack bar when I could have Jerk Chicken or breadfruit or Callalloo or plantains or rice and peas in the Caribbean and it's all very inexpensive. What a waste to visit a country and not sample the local cuisine.

Some people have stomach issues that would turn into a not too great trip if they tried out of the norm food. I'm fine with new things but DH not so much. I don't want to eat in port and him sit and watch me because he can't eat it. And I'm fine with eating on the ship. It's part of the cruise price and we take advantage of that. No big deal to us.

One of the things I really enjoy about traveling is trying food in other countries. Food is so plentiful in all locations and usually very cheap and it's really good. I have experienced some of the best meals of my life onshore trying local specialties during cruises. I can't imagine wasting calories on a snack bar when I could have Jerk Chicken or breadfruit or Callalloo or plantains or rice and peas in the Caribbean and it's all very inexpensive. What a waste to visit a country and not sample the local cuisine.

Agree - Unless a person has a medical condition that restricts what they can eat like Celiac; there's plenty of good food that are hugely portion, to eat at Caribbean port stops. Just budget like $10-50 a day and enjoy food like conch fritters and roti.

[emoji15][emoji15]didn't mean to start a war on here! I just want to take some prepackaged snacks to munch on while out and about! We are not ones to eat in port anywhere we are, for a number of reasons. Thank you all that have assured me it's okay to take them. I would never, ever take food from ship into ports.

It is a really good question and you did not start a war; I think most people were trying to educate people who may not be aware of the information on why these rules/laws are in place.

It can be difficult sometimes to get people to change even if there is good information (fact and science based) out there on why they should. We all just do the best we can.

Enjoy your cruise!!! :D

After almost 50 cruises I have never seen anyone arrested or fined for bringing food on or off a ship. My granddaughter once had a banana in her backpack and the dogs sniffed it and they just asked her to throw it away. She was 10 at the time and just forgot she had it. I think some of the responses on here are a little over the top.

Exactly this!!

Wow, I can't believe how rude people can be! How is taking a ham and cheese sandwich from the buffet (real food that you have already paid for) tacky and yet carrying manufactured crap from the US to another country instead of trying the local food when you're ashore isn't?

Same goes for the supposed environmental argument. Yes, fruits and vegetables can carry plant pests or diseases. A ham and cheese sandwich? Not so much. And in either case, obviously the wrapper or baggie adds to the trash in that country's landfills, or worse, the litter on their streets and in their bodies of water.

I'm definitely going to bring reusable lunch pouches when I go on my cruise, and I'm not going to feel bad at all about taking reasonable amounts of non-fruit/non-vegetable items for in-port snacking.

In the UK we had an outbreak of a disease called Foot & Mouth. The cause was thought to be a ham sandwich chucked into a pig pen by a tourist.

The number of animals that were slaughtered was heartbreaking.

I would not like to be the person who MIGHT have been the cause of such devastation.

Keep to the rules, you are visiting another country, they have rights too you know.

tagging on here, but what about protein powder? i'm not lugging the 5lb canister it's originally packaged in on board. we usually put enough powder for our travels in a plastic container or baggies.

Hm can't help you. Are smaller original (and sealed) packages an option? Not sure how people react to white powder form stuff without labels..? ;)

tagging on here, but what about protein powder? i'm not lugging the 5lb canister it's originally packaged in on board. we usually put enough powder for our travels in a plastic container or baggies.

I bought ds17 the liquid version, and slapped a luggage tag on it (muscle milk?).

Hm can't help you. Are smaller original (and sealed) packages an option? Not sure how people react to white powder form stuff without labels..? ;)

Once upon a time, I brought a baggie of Cassava Flour back from Rio, for a Brazilian friend of mine...

Everything was fine after it was drug tested; and I got the stink eye from security.:eek::D

Edited by $hip$hape

But it's illegal. Taking non-fruit/non vegetable food off of cruise ships is illegal. I'm not being judgmental, just stating facts. Just because you paid for that lunch with your cruise fare doesn't mean you are entitled to break the laws of the countries you are visiting. It's not up to you to decide what food items could damage the country you are a guest in. I have a child with dietary restrictions (celiac), so we always travel with package sealed safe food.

This, and various comments that followed, are simply not true.

There is no international law prohibiting people from taking any and all fresh food off of cruise ships into ports.

Someone just posted on the Cozumel board that they had a tuna fish sandwich and they were told by the port officials that it would have been fine *except* that there was a piece of lettuce in it.

It's one thing to post actual laws that apply to specific ports. It is another thing to try to shame people by claiming that taking certain things off the ship is just generally "illegal" without reference to a certain jurisdiction.

There is no international law prohibiting people from taking any and all fresh food off of cruise ships into ports.

Someone just posted on the Cozumel board that they had a tuna fish sandwich and they were told by the port officials that it would have been fine *except* that there was a piece of lettuce in it.

It's one thing to post actual laws that apply to specific ports. It is another thing to try to shame people by claiming that taking certain things off the ship is just generally "illegal" without reference to a certain jurisdiction.

Obviously the laws in each country vary. Therefore each person who takes food off the ship should declare it to the customs officer. If that happens then I, nor most other people, would not have a problem. But what I expect happens is that people try to take food ashore (because it is their right-they have paid for all food!) without first checking if it is allowed.

Don't feel like you did anything please. You could have posted a thread that said "I am giving a fresh crisp $20" to everyone who replies, and ½ of the replies would have been complaining that you ONLY are giving way $20 or would have been calling you foolish for spending your money that way. :eek:

It absolutely is illegal and I have seen it posted in the dailies of every cruise I have been on.

Here's the Bermuda ones where you will notice it in the lower right hand corner:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By_auCz6wfbNfkU0ek4zalVaZWFkNjlMUlFrbllhMWVURXpyRF9vcUpUaVo1SzdWUW9zWk0&usp=sharing

Here's some from the Med:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxudnxfjCDpta3RjWTEwOS15RTQ&usp=sharing

It absolutely is illegal and I have seen it posted in the dailies of every cruise I have been on.

Here's the Bermuda ones where you will notice it in the lower right hand corner:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By_auCz6wfbNfkU0ek4zalVaZWFkNjlMUlFrbllhMWVURXpyRF9vcUpUaVo1SzdWUW9zWk0&usp=sharing

What it actually says in the dailies you posted is, "local agricultural laws prohibit

Here's some from the Med:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxudnxfjCDpta3RjWTEwOS15RTQ&usp=sharing

What it actually says on the dailies you posted from Bermuda (a specific jurisdiction) is, "Local Agricultural Law prohibits taking the following items ashore: plants, fruits, vegetables, meat and illegal substances." Absolutely nothing about packaged vs. unpackaged.

Here, from the 2nd link from russianmom, Epic in Europe (a closed EU loop in fact):

v776o4.jpg

"Local authorities do not allow any fresh food items to be brought on or off the ship."

"It is strictly prohibited in our ports of call to leave the ship with fresh fruit, vegetables, sandwiches and dairy products."