Son bringing a friend on cruise. What's needed?

kadams718

My son, age 14, is bringing a friend, same age, on our Thanksgiving cruise on the Oasis. Has anyone brought a minor that is not your own on a cruise. I need to call Royal to see what we need to bring as far as paperwork stating we are responsible for him. But thought I'd ask here while I was thinking about it.

My son, age 14, is bringing a friend, same age, on our Thanksgiving cruise on the Oasis. Has anyone brought a minor that is not your own on a cruise. I need to call Royal to see what we need to bring as far as paperwork stating we are responsible for him. But thought I'd ask here while I was thinking about it.

See the last section:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

Edited by clarea

If your son's friend parents are divorced it is a good idea to have both parents sign off on taking the child out of the country.

I had sole custody of my daughter but still needed a signed form from my ex-wife stating that I informed her that I was taking the child out of the country. The cruise line didn't need it, it was part of the divorce and custody decree that I had no clue about until it was just about too late.

I just came home from sailing on Freedom with my mother, my two sons, and three (3) 17 year old friends of my older son.

I had each kids' parents sign a permission to travel letter that included the flight and cruise information, and giving me permission to make medical decisions for them and to sign any waivers for activities.

It included both parents' names, address, phone and was signed by both parents and notarized.

I also (after reading a thread here) made a copy of each permission to travel letter.

Now, I am divorced and have a different last name from my kids. I always get a permission to travel letter from my ex. I have never been asked for it.

However, there I am at the check in desk and the agent asks me for permission to travel letters for the three non related teens. I pull them out, and she says that she needs to make a copy (because she needs to keep them). I immediately hand her the copies I had made and told her that they were for her. She takes them and confirms with a supervisor that all of the information they want is on the letters. Tells me how happy she was that I had all of that and it made her job so much easier.

However, she never asks me for the one for my kids. I didn't offer and she didn't ask.

That's not to say that another agent might not have asked for them as well, but I did have the ones for the non related kids.

So, if you'd like me to post my letter, I can cut and paste it into another post. But definitely have any travel plans listed, have the parents give you permission to make med decisions and sign waivers. Also, for your piece of mind, get a copy of their insurance card (for when you're still in the US) and I insisted on buying travel insurance in case anyone got sick or hurt.

I just came home from sailing on Freedom with my mother, my two sons, and three (3) 17 year old friends of my older son.

I had each kids' parents sign a permission to travel letter that included the flight and cruise information, and giving me permission to make medical decisions for them and to sign any waivers for activities.

It included both parents' names, address, phone and was signed by both parents and notarized.

I also (after reading a thread here) made a copy of each permission to travel letter.

Now, I am divorced and have a different last name from my kids. I always get a permission to travel letter from my ex. I have never been asked for it.

However, there I am at the check in desk and the agent asks me for permission to travel letters for the three non related teens. I pull them out, and she says that she needs to make a copy (because she needs to keep them). I immediately hand her the copies I had made and told her that they were for her. She takes them and confirms with a supervisor that all of the information they want is on the letters. Tells me how happy she was that I had all of that and it made her job so much easier.

However, she never asks me for the one for my kids. I didn't offer and she didn't ask.

That's not to say that another agent might not have asked for them as well, but I did have the ones for the non related kids.

So, if you'd like me to post my letter, I can cut and paste it into another post. But definitely have any travel plans listed, have the parents give you permission to make med decisions and sign waivers. Also, for your piece of mind, get a copy of their insurance card (for when you're still in the US) and I insisted on buying travel insurance in case anyone got sick or hurt.

I'd LOVE to see a copy of your letter!! That would be wonderful if you could copy and paste it here. Thank you!!!

• 4 months later...
I'd LOVE to see a copy of your letter!! That would be wonderful if you could copy and paste it here. Thank you!!!

Ditto, I would also appreciate seeing it. I took my nephew with us last (Celebrity) cruise. I had papers but nothing was ever requested. This cruise is Royal with another nephew, so want to make sure everything is covered again.

Also the child document like passport and birth certificate.

I would also write down any medical history that could be hereditary to the child, this way God forbid something go wrong at least there a possible connection. Also any allergy, medicine etc that regard to his health you may not be aware of.

Here's one that I have used frequently, I normally get a separate one from each parent, just means that they don't have to go together to get it notorized

To Whom it May Concern

I, Mothers name, formally mothers maiden name (mother), do give permission for your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s Ship Name sailing from Departure Port on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your name permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2015 in Brevard County Florida

Mothers name

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2015, by

Signature Florida Notary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Here's one that I have used frequently, I normally get a separate one from each parent, just means that they don't have to go together to get it notorized

To Whom it May Concern

I, Mothers name, formally mothers maiden name (mother), do give permission for your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s Ship Name sailing from Departure Port on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your name permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2015 in Brevard County Florida

Mothers name

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2015, by

Signature Florida Notary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Thanks very much, this is very helpful!