Anthem first night dinner question

I know that The Grande is formal every night.

However, the first night on a cruise is traditionally extra casual because some people get their luggage late.

So I am wondering if The Grande might be casual on the first night.

------------

We deliberately did not book any restaurant the first night but dining staff had automatically booked us into the grande.

Yes it was casual, first night.

However, the first night on a cruise is traditionally extra casual because some people get their luggage late.

------------

Yes, the dress code is officially relaxed in the Grande on the first night.

We were on Quantum this past spring, and we made

our dining reservations way ahead of the cruise.

Since this was a new dining concept for us, we made

the mistake of booking the Grande for the first cruise day.

Our luggage were late arriving, so we felt very rushed

getting ready for an early dining. Yes it was relaxed

setting but since it was a formal restaurant, we felt like

we had to dress up, and we did. The Grande was one of

the best restaurants on the ship, we really enjoyed it very

much, but the next time we will not book it for the first day

of the cruise.

We were on Dynamic Dining Classic and we were in The Grande first night. The dress code was relaxed, but we got our luggage in good time so we dressed up :D

With Dynamic Classic did you get to choose your rotation (which order you went) or did they assign you?

Wondering also on a 9 night cruise if you are at the first restaurant in your rotation 3 times?

Thanks!

Our rotation was assigned to us. We found out when we first got to our stateroom.

We were on a 14 night and we had our first 2 restaurants 4 times and the other 2, three times. So, I would assume your first would be 3 times and the other 3, twice each. [emoji4]

------------

we had Grande first night at 5:45pm. Our luggage didn't arrive until 6:30. All we had was what we were wearing and we wore that to dinner. They had no problem with it. We even showed them the app to show our luggage didn't arrive, not that they asked to see it. Some people were totally dressed up. We felt a bit out of place until we were seated but it was Easter Sunday and our only scheduled night to eat at Grande. We weren't about to skip it though I wished my new Easter dress was there so I could wear it.

I think the hard thing here- for Classic - is that if you don't know your rotation ahead of time you can't book a specialty restaurant to coincide with missing a certain (classic) one.

Say you don't care if you miss Silk- but you want to make the Grande both times- without knowing the rotation you can't be sure when to book Chops or Jamie's.(or whatever).

It would be better if they could let you know your schedule as far in advance as possible.

• 1 month later...

I just went online to my trip reservation, and did my dinner reservations. I originally had the American Icon for the first nite, but cancelled that and changed it to the Grande, so we can eat there without getting all dressed up. Made all dinner reservations online hoping we won't have to wait in line to get into the restaurants each nite.

• 1 month later...

March 19th will be our first cruise on a mega ship.. so excited!

What exactly is this new dining concept? We have Dynamic dining? What does that mean since there is no main dining room??

I can see our reservation on the cruise planner and we can book whatever restaurants we want for whatever time.. so I don't understand what is with the dynamic labeling?

And what do you mean they have you on a rotation? You didn't make reservations in advance?

please help me to understand the dining.

March 19th will be our first cruise on a mega ship.. so excited!

What exactly is this new dining concept? We have Dynamic dining? What does that mean since there is no main dining room??

I can see our reservation on the cruise planner and we can book whatever restaurants we want for whatever time.. so I don't understand what is with the dynamic labeling?

And what do you mean they have you on a rotation? You didn't make reservations in advance?

please help me to understand the dining.

If you have DD Classic, then you rotate through the 4 main dining rooms, along with your waiter, throughout the cruise.

If you don't have Classic, then you can make your reservations for any restaurant for any time and any night. You can also just show up without a reservation. That's fine, except for some busy nights. You can cancel and change reservations. We even just showed up a half hour early for our reservation and they took us.

You also have some other free choices, such as Devinly Decadence (need reservations) or Windjammer. You can mix and match any way you'd like. You can even have dinner in 1 restaurant, then go to a different one just for dessert.

----------------

Ok fantastic! So it sounds like we got the good dining option! Thank you for explaining!

Ive made all of our 8 dining reservations already. I did book The Grande the first night specifically because the dress code is more relaxed! We do get dressed nice, dress pants, and blouse, but i don't wear evening gowns on the ship... or in ever in life for that matter haha

--- I pretty much booked all 4 restaurants and rotated them for the second time around for the 8 nights. We will have our 15 year old picky eater with us, so if she really despises the menu, its good to know we can change them around.

thanks again!

Oh good to know about the Grande! I don't typically participate in formal night so I took the Grande off my radar. however, since the first night is relaxed, we can consider making a reservation there the first night. We usually wear business casual during the week so we should be good (as long as the luggage arrives!)

We will have our 15 year old picky eater with us, so if she really despises the menu, its good to know we can change them around.

Besides the specialized menu for each venue, there's also an "always available" menu with more pedestrian offerings - easier choices for the picky eaters in the crowd.

so just to be totally clear regarding the degree of casual, in Grande on the first night, no jacket would be required for my husband?

Even on any other night it is not required for men to bring a jacket - they will provide you one. But to your question, correct, no jacket required on embarkation night.

Teen question in Grande- does a 16yr old need a jacket?

I don't know whether the ship requires a teenager to wear a jacket in a formal restaurant, but when we cruised with our then teenage boy, WE required him to wear a jacket on what were then formal nights.