Early Flight out of San Juan

I'm on the Jewel in January. I need to book airline tickets for my return trip. The ship docks on a Sunday at around 6:00am. I can use airline miles for a flight home at 9:45am, but wonder if this is way too early. My other option is to take a very late flight, which I really don't want to do.

Any advice?

I'm on the Jewel in January. I need to book airline tickets for my return trip. The ship docks on a Sunday at around 6:00am. I can use airline miles for a flight home at 9:45am, but wonder if this is way too early. My other option is to take a very late flight, which I really don't want to do.

Any advice?

We fly out of San Juan frequently and I wouldn't want to gamble on a flight that early. If the ship doesn't clear on time, even with express walk off, you are cutting it close. AND . . SJU isn't the most passenger friendly airport either - you have to clear your bags with Agriculture before you proceed to the gate.

I would enjoy the day in San Juan and leave later. You can always store your bags at Barrachina's.

Wow...9:45 is really pushing it. I feel you though. I booked a flight that left at 11:15 and I made it with plenty of time. We walked off through self assist/express walk off and we were at the airport around 8:30 or so. By self assist and taking a taxi, we beat the crowd. The airport was really quiet. Agriculture took 30 seconds as there was no line and there was no line at the airline check in.

I think 9:45 may be doable, but you really have to hustle; be first off and take a taxi. I would not chance it myself. I hate the late flights departing San Juan though because you have hours to kill.

Edited by slyster

Any advice?

That would be too early for my stress level.

We fly out of San Juan frequently and I wouldn't want to gamble on a flight that early. If the ship doesn't clear on time, even with express walk off, you are cutting it close. AND . . SJU isn't the most passenger friendly airport either - you have to clear your bags with Agriculture before you proceed to the gate.

I would enjoy the day in San Juan and leave later. You can always store your bags at Barrachina's.

Have you stored with them before? We have a 6pm flight and looking for somewhere to put our luggage.

Have you stored with them before? We have a 6pm flight and looking for somewhere to put our luggage.

We have used Barrachina's several times. The bags are kept in a secure room and the only cost is a tip for the attendant. We usually get something to eat while we are there and the food is quite good.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I have flown 3X out of San Juan after cruises...and here is my advice:

1. Don't plan on making the 9:45 Flight- plan on the later flight.

2. Get off the ship as promptly as you can.

3. Get a porter to help you thru customs and into a cab. (critical for speed)

4. Go thru Ag Inspection and then go to the ticket counter for your airline. (not thru security to the gate)

5. See if you can, for a modest fee, switch to the earlier flight.

We did this on our last trip ( March 2015) on Jet Blue. We were at the airport by 7:45 or so, and Jet Blue allowed us to switch to the earlier flight for $50.00 pp

(same day switch for them).

Even if you can't switch, you can check your bags and grab a cab downtown for the day doing what you like. Then simply come back to the airport and go thru security to your gate.

It worked out great for us. It got us back home to Syracuse around 6PM instead of midnight,

Unfortunately you cannot check in your bags at the airport until a few hours before your flight. We got to the airport early for a 3:30 p.m. flight and had to sit in the entry of the airport guarding our luggage for HOURS until it was time to check them in. Horrible.

You can certainly try to make the 9:45 flight. Sunday could be a quiet day.

If you are going to try for the early flight make sure you do your airline check-in on line during the 24 hr period before your flight time before you leave the ship. That will give you extra time if you are delayed to get to the gate as you have to be checked in at least 60, or maybe 90 minutes, before your flight.