Weighing in for Floatplane

wolfpackmom

We are booked on a floatplane excursion via Celebrity Solstice in Misty Fjords, and I noticed the description said there is a weight limit of 250 lbs or else you have to pay a supplement if you exceed this weight. Do they take you at your word or do you have to hop on a scale before you take off?

Has anybody had an experience with this issue?

There are just some personal questions I don't like to be asked---Is that your natural hair color? Do you use Botox? What size are you? How old are you? How much money does your husband make? How much do you weigh? The list goes on and on.

I guess I could tolerate being asked my weight for the safety of all those on board, but it better be done in a discrete way or I'm going to have a WET DUCK FIT!

There are just some personal questions I don't like to be asked---Is that your natural hair color? Do you use Botox? What size are you? How old are you? How much money does your husband make? How much do you weigh? The list goes on and on.

I guess I could tolerate being asked my weight for the safety of all those on board, but it better be done in a discrete way or I'm going to have a WET DUCK FIT!

Well, my suggestion is to get over it, or just say you weigh 260 and pay the fee. :)

When I did a helicopter tour in 2010 via TEMSCO, the dock worker asked for my weight as I walked up to her, and said "add 5 or 10 pounds for clothes". Knowing that I'd be taking two cameras, I half-jokingly said 249.9. Her eyes got big, and she said that I'd need to weigh at the office, and pay the supplement if over. I had to prepare my cameras as I was going to take them, and hold them while I got weighed...249.6, yippee!

I suspect they'll eyeball you to see if your answer is in line with their expectations, though it's possible that they know where they stand with capacity and balance, and could know going into the flight that they can tolerate some slop in passenger accuracy.

How much do you weigh? The list goes on and on.

You've got to be kidding, with your last comment. If you truly have this thinking, then this tour is NOT for you. Nobody wants to deal with this reaction/response, and even though, it is as considered "discrete", there is a WIDE range- from using a sign up sheet where everyone's weight is on the sheet. To having to state your weight, where essentially everyone, nearby, can hear you.

This is standard practice, which it appears you have not done before? IF you continue with this flight, you need to rethink your reaction.

You've got to be kidding, with your last comment. If you truly have this thinking, then this tour is NOT for you. Nobody wants to deal with this reaction/response, and even though, it is as considered "discrete", there is a WIDE range- from using a sign up sheet where everyone's weight is on the sheet. To having to state your weight, where essentially everyone, nearby, can hear you.

This is standard practice, which it appears you have not done before? IF you continue with this flight, you need to rethink your reaction.

I'm sorry you didn't understand that I was being hyperbolic and that such an exaggerated statement regarding wet ducks was not meant to be taken literally.

We are booked on a floatplane excursion via Celebrity Solstice in Misty Fjords, and I noticed the description said there is a weight limit of 250 lbs or else you have to pay a supplement if you exceed this weight. Do they take you at your word or do you have to hop on a scale before you take off?

Has anybody had an experience with this issue?

If you can switch to a float plane ride in Juneau, Wings Airways don't have a weight penalty. It is something we looked into as hubby is on the 250 range, a bit more with clothing. We had planned on a helicopter to glacier dog sledding and all had a $100 weight penalty if over 250 or 280. We booked with the one who allowed up to 280 so we didn't have to pay so much more. But when our excursion got cancelled due to the dog camps closing early this year, we chose the float plane to Taku lodge. Very happy they don't have the penalty fee!

http://www.wingsairways.com/faq

Edited by Inukshuk Gal

Start having your fit, it is done right at the check in desk in front of everyone who is there.

Start having your fit, it is done right at the check in desk in front of everyone who is there.

Oh, Lord! Maybe I'll just take a Xanax with my morning coffee. I don't want to have a stressful start to my day!