Cunard Hotel Packages/NYC

Sheltieluv

I would try the Edison Hotel. It's about 100 feet off Times Square on 47th. This October rooms are $300-$350 per room with tax. We have stayed there for more than 35 years and find that it works fine for us, but to each his own.

Cab from JFK is a flat rate of $52 plus tolls (one hour plus travel time with luck) and from LaGuardia is about $35 plus tolls (less than an hour on a good day)

There are so many room types in hotels and package deals within the hotel that I do not think I would ever book a Cunard package. The Waldorf is a typical example of so many different room types and sometimes some excellent packages for free breakfasts or a daily sum toward hotel extras etc that it would be difficult for Cunard to beat.

Also in my opinion there is nothing more convenient that just getting (or booking) a cab/taxi/limo/stretch and departing/arriving when you want. But that is me.

My travel agent has retired so I'm in search of a new one. So, I feel more comfortable talking with someone new when I have at least some semblance of the choices out there and what I think will best fit our needs. Now I can give him/her a "shortlist" of options.....Brooklyn or Manhattan hotels, car service or cab, London or Windsor, etc. thanks to the CCer's who have shared their insight and advice. For example, I probably would have never even given Windsor a thought, nor possibly the Edison Hotel in NYC. The better informed I am, the smoother the process.:) (at least hopefully!)

I will, of course, let him/her know that we have AAA, that my husband qualifies for obc as a former Marine, stuff like that. I don't mind doing research on my own; as a matter of fact, I enjoy it. But once I get my "shortlist" in order, I'll hand it over to my t.a., whoever that might be!

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

There are probably over a hundred hotels n Manhattan alone with 3.5 or more stars. Instead of specific recommendations (for instance, the previously-mentioned Hotel Edison is a perfectly fine hotel right in the middle of Broadway - but is in a very different class than the Cunard hotels).

If you're unfamiliar with NYC, you might want to take a few minutes with Google Maps or a tourist site to decide where you want to stay.

A couple of hints - most tourist sites are Midtown (30th-59th St ) also, if you'll be using subways to get around, there are fewer lines on the East side.

If you tell the TA you're looking for a 4 star or higher hotel close to Broadway, 5th Ave shopping, SoHo or whatever, your TA should be able to help you better.