Cunard Hotel Packages/NYC

Sheltieluv

Hi all

We are looking at a Transatlantic for next October, departing from NYC to Southampton. I've been undecided as to whether the Cunard Hotel Program is a good option. Given the prices of decent hotels in NYC, transfers from JFK to Manhattan, and then transportation to Brooklyn to board the ship (car service instead of cab), to me the Cunard offerings don't look to be out of line cost-wise. Am I missing something?

Most of the research I've done on the CC boards advise people to make their own arrangements, mostly due to cost savings. I do realize that we may have to wait at the airport, etc. for the bus or minivan to fill up, but that seems to be a fairly small inconvenience considering that pretty much everything is taken care of if one purchases the Cunard Hotel Program package.

I have done a lot of research on the CC boards, but most of the threads dealing with this subject are at least a couple of years old (unless I missed some), so anyone with recent experience who would like to give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. The good/the bad/the ugly----anything to assist with our decision. Thanks so much!:)

I think a lot depends on how willing you are to do things on your own. There is a $16.00 shuttle from JFK to midtown stopping at Penn Station, Grand Central Station and the Port Authority terminal in Times Square. It departs regularly (every 1/2 hour or so) so is a cheap alternative from the airport. And certainly you can find good hotel rooms on various search engines for less than the Cunard prices. The hotels Cunard is using are all premier hotels but certainly not the only option in NYC.

On the other hand, if you are looking to have everything taken care of, the Cunard option might be better.

Sheltieluv,

No, I don't think you are missing anything if the overall convenience factor is worth the additional cost as opposed to a more DIY experience. I do see a substantial difference in hotel rates doing a quick spot check for an upcoming eastbound crossing. The Langham Place Hotel in New York is priced at $660 per person for one night ($1320 total for two) as a Cunard pre-voyage hotel package. I see there is an $954 rate available for a double room booking directly with that hotel for the night before the particular crossing I checked. Booking a car service for the transfers will cut into that price difference, but there should still be a savings booking the arrangements yourself (for that particular voyage and hotel at least). Of course your mileage may vary for your specific voyage and hotel choice.

And as jburton59 has pointed out, this assumes you wish to book one of the higher end hotels that Cunard offers in their hotel packages as opposed to lower priced alternatives.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Shelieluv,

You ask some good questions. Usually the Cunard packages are more expensive but only you can decide if the convenience is worth the extra cost. Are you planning to spend time in New York City before your voyage? If so, you will want to book a hotel that is convenient to the places you want to visit. Are you spending one night before your voyage with no interest in exploring NYC? If so, you might consider the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. You could take a cab or car service from the airport directly to the hotel in Brooklyn. The next morning you are very close to the ship and can get a cab or car service from the hotel to the ship. Of course, there are many other hotel options in Brooklyn if staying there appeals to you. From your post I am not sure if you are considering a voyage in 2015 or 2016. If it is 2016, it too early to check hotel prices. No matter which option you choose, I hope you have a fabulous voyage!

During a couple of our last QM2 round transatlantics staying in NY, instead of the advertised hotel we asked to pay a little extra for a corner room at the Waldorf Astoria, it wasn't a great deal extra, but it felt special and we love the roaring 1920's atmosphere of this iconic hotel that really is quite unique. :)

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate your input.

We are looking at the transatlantic for October 2016. Three years ago we were in NYC for a pre-cruise (one night) stay before embarking on the October Regent Navigator Canada/New England voyage. We flew into JFK in the a.m. and our travel agent had provided transportation via car service--nice!--to our hotel, which was the London (my choice and at our expense). I think we paid around $350 a night back then; (wanted a nice hotel in a good location) We spent the rest of that day and the next morning sightseeing in NYC. The ship was leaving from Brooklyn, and I think I paid $75 or so for a car service to the pier, plus tips for the driver and the baggage handlers at the pier.

In the 2015 Cunard brochure, the Novotel New York Times Square (4 stars) is listed at $280 per person. (I don't know the hotel offerings for 2016 nor the prices.) But, hotel, all transfers, porterage, and taxes are included, so the cost would be $560 for everything, maybe a bit higher for 2016.

So, hopefully you can see why I asked if the Cunard Program had any pitfalls that I wasn't seeing. :confused: That price seems pretty reasonable, so that's why I asked for input. I'll have to weigh all the pros and cons carefully.

We are typically "do-it-yourself" people, but now that we're retired I guess part of me wants to let someone else take care of the details. You have all given me some excellent suggestions, so thank you again. I do appreciate your taking the time to post your replies.

Remember Cunard charges for hotels per PERSON, not per room. It is always more expensive to book hotels through the cruise line. You can save a lot of money by arranging your own transfers, even using a car service, than by paying Cunard's rates.

Hi, again, Sheltieluv.

The Cunard web site is currently listing these one night pre-voyage hotel package offerings for the October 11, 2016 eastbound crossing.

Hilton New York - $420 per person

Crowne Plaza Times Square - $440 per person

Langham - $750 per person

I can certainly identify with your desire to switch from "do-it-yourself" mode to "someone-else-do-it" mode. I am heading towards retirement myself and am seeing that tendency myself too.

Regards,

John.

In my experience the NY Hilton is under $420 per room for a double, perhaps under $300. The economics of having Cunard handle your lodging reservations doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: I just checked; one night for two adults is $419 in a 'Classic' room, $439 in a 'Deluxe' room, or $459 in a 'Premiere' room (10 Sept).

Edited by Underwatr

Two of my mantras are "every cruise is different" and "every cruiser is different". You can USUALLY save substantially by booking your own hotel but sometimes the cruise line can be very competitive. You are right to make your own comparisons and book with Cunard if the price works for you.

I'll make one suggestion. If your primary motive is to be in New York a day early to assure there are no travel hassles, you might consider a hotel in Brooklyn. That's what I've decided on for my next 2 crossings. A very poor choice for somebody coming from the UK looking to experience the Big Apple but right at least for me.

By the way I grew up in North Syracuse. Is that anywhere near you?

Roy

For our last crossing, we saved a lot of money by DIY and staying in a hotel in downtown Brooklyn for about $250 per night Fine modern hotel in a good location very close to lots of restaurants and lots of subway stops. Short cab ride to the Red Hook Cunard terminal. And even if you want to do a little Manhattan sight-seeing or dining out, downtown Brooklyn is maybe 15 minutes away from lots of Manhattan neighborhoods by subway, frequent safe service. Will do this again the next time we depart from NYC

I may be teaching granny to suck eggs as they say, but in your position, I would consider booking a hotel fairly soon where you can book a room with free cancellation. It will be at a higher rate than one without the flexibility of cancellation. No money is taken in advance. This will give you plenty of time to do your research and make comparisons between costs. You can book a Cunard hotel package separately from your main booking later if you need to.

If you decide much nearer the time to stick with the original hotel booked, you can then usually book and pay for your room at a cheaper rate, and then cancel the room booked with "free cancellation" . I do this frequently and have saved a lot of money! But it gives me the security blanket of knowing I have a hotel reservation in a hotel I am happy with.

I can however relate to taking the Cunard package.....sometimes it is just not worth the hassle of having to do it all yourself!

Of course those are all listed prices. With little effort you can find pricing 20%-30% cheaper. (and with some work and good luck, 40%-60%) For instance, I'm writing this while staying at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. This week, I was able to get a AAA rate for $230/night. I checked rates for 2 nights in mid May. The official rate for this room is $499.

Granted, this was an unusual situation for this hotel, but I always find 4-5 star hotels midtown for $175-$250/night. Your comfort level may be different (it takes a bit of luck, some research, and uncertainty until you nail it down to get the really big discounts) - but you still can get a decent discount easily with Trivago or another competitive site.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Hi everyone---Thanks for your responses. You have all given me some excellent advice and I'm sure that other readers will benefit from it as well.

Even though we would be flying from Syracuse, and it's a very short flight down to NYC, we always arrive a day before a cruise departs. There are just too many things that can go wrong and if one misses the boat for a Transatlantic, there aren't any options for catching up with the ship, are there?! (Well, my nephew is in the Coast Guard, but I don't think they would take too kindly to him getting us to the ship out in the Hudson or open Atlantic....:p) Flying in on the day of the cruise would save a lot of money, especially in NYC, but the stress just isn't worth it, in my opinion.

I am going to start researching hotels, including Brooklyn. Lots of choices for sure.

I do have one question--does the QM2 always leave from Brooklyn? Or does it sometimes leave from Manhattan? If the schedule deviates from Red Hook, how far in advance is that announced? I would hate to have booked a hotel in Brooklyn only to find that we will embark in Manhattan. (Mysticalmother, your hotel cancellation tip would come in handy in that case!)

(Roy--we live up near Oswego, where we have 2 seasons--Winter and the 4th of July. If you grew up in North Syracuse, you probably remember the good old Lake Effect snow storms!)

Have a good day everyone!

... I do have one question--does the QM2 always leave from Brooklyn? Or does it sometimes leave from Manhattan? If the schedule deviates from Red Hook, how far in advance is that announced? I would hate to have booked a hotel in Brooklyn only to find that we will embark in Manhattan. ...

The QM2 only rarely docks in Manhattan. She is currently scheduled to dock in Brooklyn for both of the October, 2016 crossings according to the New York cruise port schedule that can be found here:

http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Regards,

John.

This type of discussion came up about a year ago. Last night I checked the Cunard website to add the hotel to my 2016 booking. The only hotel offered was the Crowne Plaza at a single rate of almost $900. Cdn.

I shall continue to book my own hotel, usually at the Hampton Inn because for that $900. Cdn. I can pay for the hotel and my flight to NYC.

Cunard transfers can also be aggravating. The Cunard rep at the airport is not readily available - sometimes you have to go looking for them. They then ask you to wait while they are filling a bus or van (and they stuff those vans full) and you also make the rounds of several terminals. The next day you go to the ship on their timetable.

Since I am able I will continue to control my own destiny. I would definitely monitor the hotel rates for the next few months. NYC in the fall is very pricey and hotel rates for the fall of 2016 are not showing up since usually websites only show a year in advance.

Whatever you decide - good luck.

Thanks for the port schedule, John. I will keep that website for future reference. And, lannp, I was surprised to hear the the Cunard rep at the airport might not be readily available; not a great way to make a first impression. Having to track down a rep in a crowded baggage claim area would not be my idea of fun.

You have all given a great deal of sound advice and will definitely help in my decision. Thanks so much!

I think it's safe to assume QM2 will be in Brooklyn. I only know of 2 reasons for QM2 to dock in Manhattan.

One is the situation where there's another similar size ship docking the same day, and the only ships involved would be Princess. I just looked at the port schedule and Princess has their schedule set with no conflicts. I think Manhattan is really unlikely for this reason as on October 11 both Caribbean Princess and QM2 were in port and Princess got moved to Bayonne. I think they are pulling out all the stops to avoid having QM2 in Brooklyn.

I hope the other reason never surfaces again. Brooklyn terminal is prone to flooding and QM2 was moved from Brooklyn for it's first call after Sandy. An event I hope will be extremely rare.

I have fond memories of Oswego, even recent ones. One of my favorite cruise lines runs EXTREMELY small ships and sails through the Erie Canal. To get under the canal bridges the pilot house is rigged to be lowered a deck to provide clearance. There's always an extended stop in Oswego to raise or lower the pilot house as appropriate. I've done that 3 times (2 to Montreal and 1 to Chicago).

Roy

Since I posted my NYC Cunard Hotel Program questions, I have begun thinking about the other end of this Transatlantic Voyage, specifically London! I am going to go on the assumption that responses would be similar to the ones I received regarding NY; i.e. arranging our own transportation to London and booking a hotel on our own will be cheaper after we have sailed "across the Pond." I had been thinking about using Cunard at this end of the trip, but will now rethink that.

We have never been to Europe and will probably spend 2 nights in London, doing some whirlwind sightseeing before flying up to Ireland for a week or so, which has been a lifelong dream and definitely on my bucket list.

I was going to start a new thread for that "end" of the journey, but I think you folks have provided a lot of valuable information that can probably be applied to the London scenario and I don't want to be a pest!:) However, if anyone has used the London Hotel Program and thinks we should consider it, (or not!) please chime in. Any advice/input/tips will be appreciated. I have read reviews on a lot of hotels in London, and frankly, my head is spinning!

(Roy--the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence are awesome, aren't they? I grew up near Massena, NY)

Thanks again to everyone.

This is a bit out of your travel plans, but here is what we did on our last arrival at Southampton. We did a DIY, booked a car service (thru a company highly recommended on CC), that took us from the QMII to our hotel in downtown Windsor. Stayed in a nice room for under $200/night. Nosed around Windsor and Eton & had a great dinner. Took a cab to Heathrow (I think 20 Pounds) the next morning. I think it's easy to take a train from Windsor into central London. We looked around the train station and saw frequent service.