FLL-YYZ one way ticket in USD for Canadian

TOCruisers

I need to buy one way ticket from FLL-YYZ after TA cruise.

I have been watching the fares using ITA and found some flight costs that I prefer to take are cheaper in USD than CAD even considering exchange rate.

I have USD CC (and USD). Can I buy tickets in USD even I am a resident of Canada? If I use Air Canada site, it automatically goes to CAD fare page. I tried to do dummy booking at a US site, then they require a US telephone number. Will they reject my CAD telephone No?

Any Canadian bought USD tickets to come back to Canada without any problem?

Try pricing it with one of the big US online travel agents. If it lets you keep a USD quote despite you having a Canadian address, then I would have thought that it would be safe to specify the US as your country of residence for the purposes of getting the Air Canada site to quote and sell in USD, even if the details you later give are your real Canadian details.

It's rare for airlines to make sales conditional on your country of residence (as it would be so easily circumvented by going to a TA in a different country). On websites, that selection is usually for the purposes of selecting a currency in which to quote.

If the AC site still won't let you, then would you be prepared to buy the fare from a US online TA?

I bought OW ticket on WS FLL to YYZ for Nov it was charged in USD

Not sure AC works the sames it does quote in CAD

....then would you be prepared to buy the fare from a US online TA?

Thank you for the responses.

I will try in USD in a US site next week as the biggest difference is $80 per ticket with the current exchange rate.

We had a r/t booked with AC & I upgraded seats on the way home when I checked in online that purchase was in USD

If you are crossing the border you could always try booking online from the USA I would bet it will be USD

Option 2

book Westjet flight home;)

It had a better time for me on the return

Remember if your CC has a Foreign transaction (hidden) you may not save much

Good luck

Edited by LHT28

I just tried a mock booking indicating that I was a US resident therefore getting pricing in US$. I entered a Cdn phone # and the booking went thru without a hitch still showing US pricing - next step was to give CC info (which I didn't do of course). So you shud be able to book it. Why not try?

If the AC site won't let you book the cheaper US resident fare as a Canadian, I doubt the online travel agent sites will be able to get around that either, as once the info is input, AC will automatically kick you to the Canadian resident rate. You might also check United and see if it will display Air Canada (not sure if they codeshare that route or not).

If the AC site won't let you book the cheaper US resident fare as a Canadian, I doubt the online travel agent sites will be able to get around that either, as once the info is input, AC will automatically kick you to the Canadian resident rate.
But an OTA may not even ask you where you live. It may simply want a billing address for a credit card. But you may even be able to get around that by paying (for example) by PayPal, which will just send money and isn't going to tell the OTA anything about your billing addresses.

As I say, it's rare for airlines to make a rate conditional on your residence. It would be so easy to get around such a restriction.

I need to buy one way ticket from FLL-YYZ after TA cruise.

I have been watching the fares using ITA and found some flight costs that I prefer to take are cheaper in USD than CAD even considering exchange rate.

I have USD CC (and USD). Can I buy tickets in USD even I am a resident of Canada? If I use Air Canada site, it automatically goes to CAD fare page. I tried to do dummy booking at a US site, then they require a US telephone number. Will they reject my CAD telephone No?

Any Canadian bought USD tickets to come back to Canada without any problem?

yes you can, I do it all the time. simply book from what ever web site you want and make sure you are on the .com version, not the .ca version of the website!! I do this all the time with orbitz.com

yes you can, I do it all the time. simply book from what ever web site you want and make sure you are on the .com version, not the .ca version of the website!! I do this all the time with orbitz.com

Ditto from me. I book flights on US sites in USD all the time. I search using many sites; kayak, mobissimo, ita etc, and then often end up at the airline's own site for booking.

I will point out that the OP isn't simply wanting to spend in US dollars. The flights they were looking up were cheaper for US residents than Canadians, and was wanting to buy at that price.
But it is very unlikely that the airline restricts the US dollar price to US residents. That would be an unusual way for an airline to work.

On the Air Canada website when you are booking it asks for Country of Residence

If you change to US then it prices the flights in USD

Now whether that causes any issues later at check in I am not sure

On Westjet it did not ask about residence but it did price the flight from FLL to YYZ in USD for me

But it is very unlikely that the airline restricts the US dollar price to US residents. That would be an unusual way for an airline to work.

Well, that's what the OP is asking about. Isn't ITA just fareviewing software though? I am curious whether the OP actually saw the cheaper US fare on an actual booking engine.

I am curious whether the OP actually saw the cheaper US fare on an actual booking engine.
It is very easy to reproduce the OP's experience by dummy booking on the AC website.

And for what it's worth, I have not yet come across a set of AC fare rules for FLL-YYZ that includes a restriction on the residence of the passenger.

Edited by Globaliser

Well, that's what the OP is asking about. Isn't ITA just fareviewing software though? I am curious whether the OP actually saw the cheaper US fare on an actual booking engine.

Yes, I did. I think ITA is simply using the current FX conversion rate for the reference if I change the sales city to Toronto (CAD). For example the flight I was interested in showed USD210 and CAD270 (change sales city to Toronto) in ITA . I checked the same flight at Air Canada site, it was CAD320 (it is USD210 if I switched to AC US site = USD.) Since I have a USD CC and USD, I posted my question. If the exchange rate is reasonable, I prefer to buy in CAD base using CAD CC as there are travel insurance benefits with my CAD CC. This week's sale, I was ready to purchase the tickets since the flight I was interested in is more less at the current exchange rate. Then I saw this flight.

FLL-BOS BOS-YTZ B62070 PD948 (1:45-8:35)

Q1. Normally I only take non stop flights but since our move last year, YTZ (downtown airport) is in walking distance (well without luggage) and save a lot of transportation time (and taxi cost). However we have never flown with Jet Blue or Porter. I searched CC and JetBlue seems to have good reviews. I am most concerned with safety record, crew skills (hate turbulence), smooth luggage transfer etc. Should I stick to AC (2:55-6:04)? I assume the custom is at BOS.

Q2 Jetblue has two kinds (maybe more) of flight numbers. 3 dig and 4 dig. What are the difference.

Edited by TOCruisers

Our friends fly Porter & love them

Maybe the Jet blue flight number indicate they use a different carrier

I just looked at the Jetblue site but did not see flight FLL BOS YTZ but on ITA it does have FLL-BOS on JB then BOS to YTZ on Porter

could have just been the date I check on JB but they did not seem to have flights to Canada

Personal choice

but I prefer the non stops even if I had to go to Pearson :)

Edited by LHT28

I assume the custom is at BOS.

By this do you mean Canada Customs and Immigration? If so - then no. There are no airports in the US where you can pre-clear into Cda. Customs would be at YTZ.

Personally, unless there was a huge cost savings (total - taxis etc), I would take the non-stop to YYZ as opposed to the long flight to BOS and then changing to a turbo-prop from BOS to YTZ (not that there's anything wrong with the Q400).

I just looked at the Jetblue site but did not see flight FLL BOS YTZ but on ITA it does have FLL-BOS on JB then BOS to YTZ on Porter

could have just been the date I check on JB but they did not seem to have flights to Canada

I checked as well and that's interesting because Porter is listed as a partner for B6. It seems you would have to book separate flights for FLL/BOS then BOS/YTZ. Yet you can book flights to EU/Asia/Africa etc on the B6 website using their partners to those (and other) countries. :confused:

I'm wondering if they just became affiliated with Porter and it's not up on their booking web site yet?

Edited by toberman

I checked as well and that's interesting because Porter is listed as a partner for B6. It seems you would have to book separate flights for FLL/BOS then BOS/YTZ. Yet you can book flights to EU/Asia/Africa etc on the B6 website using their partners to those (and other) countries. :confused:

I'm wondering if they just became affiliated with Porter and it's not up on their booking web site yet?

Looks like you can book the routing on porter's website

some days the prices are a lot higher

But spending 8 hrs getting home is not worth the savings for me

Personal choice

Looks like you can book the routing on porter's website

some days the prices are a lot higher

But spending 8 hrs getting home is not worth the savings for me

Personal choice

Yes, through ITA/Google, I went to Porter's site.

It will be little less than 7 hours and I thought we may be able to actually come home around the same time by avoiding Pearson. However, the actual flying time will be one hour extra. Thank you and toberman for the feedback. I think I will take AC this time.

Yes, through ITA/Google, I went to Porter's site.

It will be little less than 7 hours and I thought we may be able to actually come home around the same time by avoiding Pearson. However, the actual flying time will be one hour extra. Thank you and toberman for the feedback. I think I will take AC this time.

You also need to consider how long it takes to clear CBSA at YTZ. Not sure how well staffed they are there. One plane with 50 or 60 people on it might not seem like much until you are standing there in one line lol.

You also need to consider how long it takes to clear CBSA at YTZ. Not sure how well staffed they are there. One plane with 50 or 60 people on it might not seem like much until you are standing there in one line lol.

it would probably be shorter than the walk to the customs area at YYZ :D