Dress code on legend

LORRAINE45

Hi could anyone tell me what the dress code for men is in the MDR on non formal evenings?

On previous cruises the men in our party have been "suited and booted" but have sometimes felt overdressed- I have heard that RCI are more relaxed than other lines.

Thank you

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&wuc=AUS

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Polo shirts and trousers for men, sundresses or trousers for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or trouser suits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Edited by chrisb74

About dress codes NO MATTER WHAT SOME SAY.

Just look nice, like most normal office work places/casual church attire, well not construction etc LOL. On formal night just look a little NICER. No one will really care.

Please no bib overhauls, shorts or baseball caps.

Unfortunately many cruisers do not know what normal/nice clothes are and there are many different options now days are and you will see some strange clothes Fortunately or unfortunately the modern clothing options present a problem of knowing when/where to wear them is a monetary and social challenge for many.

Hi could anyone tell me what the dress code for men is in the MDR on non formal evenings?

On previous cruises the men in our party have been "suited and booted" but have sometimes felt overdressed- I have heard that RCI are more relaxed than other lines.

Thank you

Sorry, but I wanted to correct you. Carnival is the most relaxed with NCL following for anything goes with cut-offs, t-shirts, baseball caps etc.

If you are wearing long pants or jeans, and a nice polo or something similar, than you are fine. You will very seldom see t-shirts, and I have seen people get turned away for shorts and other inappropriate clothes.

Sorry, but I wanted to correct you. Carnival is the most relaxed with NCL following for anything goes with cut-offs, t-shirts, baseball caps etc.

If you are wearing long pants or jeans, and a nice polo or something similar, than you are fine. You will very seldom see t-shirts, and I have seen people get turned away for shorts and other inappropriate clothes.

The reason I ask is because on princess and Holland America the men in our party wore suits on normal nights and of course tux on formal nights but they did feel overdressed as most men seemed to wear long trousers and just a open neck shirt or polo shirt ( we all like to dress up, as this part of cruising that we really enjoy) but the men don't want to overdress and stick out. I have never been on a ROYAL CARRIBEAN cruise before, my comment was based on what I have read and I stand corrected and thank you for your comments.

The reason I ask is because on princess and Holland America the men in our party wore suits on normal nights and of course tux on formal nights but they did feel overdressed as most men seemed to wear long trousers and just a open neck shirt or polo shirt ( we all like to dress up, as this part of cruising that we really enjoy) but the men don't want to overdress and stick out. I have never been on a ROYAL CARRIBEAN cruise before, my comment was based on what I have read and I stand corrected and thank you for your comments.

My husband likes to wear his suit on formal nights (doesn't have a tux) and I wear long dress or cocktail dress. It is nice if your table mates turn out to be like minded; and on previous cruises we have celebrated certain nights by dressing up on agreement. I am with you - dressing up is part of the fun of cruising! Mind - I have bought some of my formal wear at the second hand shop ("Vintage" lol) - you don't have to be rich to dress up, just have a sense of fun and "special"

Wearing a suit on 'normal' night is likely to be overdressed on any of the mass market lines. The dress suggestion in the compass daily planner will say casual. Khakis/dockers or similar lightweight pants and a polo shirt or golf shirt are quite sufficient. My husband sometimes adds a sports coat if we're dining in a specialty restaurant or if the day is a little cooler.

The only line I can think of that requires suits every evening is Cunard. Silver seas and other luxury lines might also.

A suit is definitely not required and will be "overdressed" other than formal night. Khakis or dress slacks and a collared shirt are fine. I typically do Tommy Bahama or Nat Nast in the Caribbean, and maybe something a little heavier on a "cooler" weather cruise.

Smart casual is "unlikely" on a 7 day or less cruise, at least in the Caribbean, and widely ignored even when it is suggested. But, if they like the sport coat and open collar shirt look, they'll be fine, just in the 1% crowd!

Actually these are the current dress suggestions. They are just suggestions and you can dress as you wish (to a point). If the men in your party like to wear a coat and tie every night and Tux on formal night then by all means do so. It's your vacation. You'll be exceeding the dress codes. We have a friend that does similar. He likes to wear bow ties and a linen style light colored sport coat on non-formal nights. So go for it... dress as you like. Here are the current suggestions copied and pasted from RCCL website. The previous link was to outdated dress codes.

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

• 4 months later...

Based on our observation over the course of the 10 nights of the cruise we took recently I would advise the following.

For main dining room, on "Smart Casual" nights -

Men wear long pants and a shirt with a collar.

Women wear a dress, or shirt and skirt, or shirt and long pants.

For those who just want to wear shorts and t shirts, head to the buffet.

On the formal night in the main dining room -

Men wear a suit, or a tux, or long pants and a shirt with a collar.

Women wear a formal gown with as much sparkle as you like, or an after five dress, or shirt and skirt, or shirt and long pants.

For those who just want to wear shorts and t shirts, head to the buffet.

So overall, people do dress up on the formal and cocktail nights and it looks great.

But there will always people who feel more comfortable in their casual gear and that's what the buffet is for.

There was also a "sixties night" and a "seventies night" and a "country and western night" and a "tropical party night".

The one that attracted the most themed dressers was the tropical party night which culminated in a pool party on the top deck.

On the themed nights the dress standard for the dining room included themed outfits and so there were quite a few floral maxis and hibiscus wraps to be seen.

The "sixties" and "seventies" nights were not quite so embraced, primarily I think because people were not prepared for it. But the music in the Centrum went through the decade for a couple of hours after dinner.

The tropical theme was easier to do because we were sailing past the South Pacific islands and more materials were to hand. So chuck in a few silk flowers and a "palm tree and pineapple print" shirt just in case.

Hope this helps,

J

Edited by J_T_