Real answer on Power strips

Have had it taken once and returned at disembarkation (Vision OTS), have had no problems taking it on to any other cruise (Navigator, Liberty, Freedom, Allure, Jewel OTS)

I think it is one of those things that if they spot it they may take it but they aren't "gung ho" looking for it.

Here is the kind I use. it only has 2 plugs, but has 4 USB ports. *Here is the important part* The main wall plug disconnects from the unit. (it isn't even shown in the stock photo)

I have a similar travel fan; the power cord disconnects from the main unit.

I have never had an issue with using either item on any ship.

N11673-97014B.jpg

Edited by LMaxwell

Yes, that's it! Just throw it in your carry-on and not your "checked" bag and you're fine.

But you shouldn't have to avoid the "checked" bag - that's the point. The rules don't allow extension cords which should only apply to those extension power strips with a cable off them, not adaptors which this is.

The issue is you can not bring an extension cord. Power strips that have the extension cord built in may be confiscated.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=2608&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

as above.

I have both the Belkin shown above and this one that I prefer........http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-MP-OTG300-LTOP/dp/B003TXRTNG

The prongs fold in which is why I prefer the Monster. We have taken both, never a problem. I think the issue is extension cords.

Edited by SPacificbound

Some post say you can bring a six outlet power strip (surge protector) type of electrical thing. Others say they are taken. Can someone give an answer one way or the other. Thank you.

Traveling on the Grandeur if that makes any difference.:confused:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

But you shouldn't have to avoid the "checked" bag - that's the point. The rules don't allow extension cords which should only apply to those extension power strips with a cable off them, not adaptors which this is.

as above.

I understand the point. Absolutely. But there are a lot of RC "rules" that aren't uniformly applied and appear to be open to interpretation. I was just offering some assistance based on my experience.

Buy a Belkin mini strip, put it in your carry on, and you're fine. Best travel purchase ever.

The OP asked for the real answer, but this was the real good answer. I've seen some really questionable outlet strips imported from China that I wouldn't allow in my home and even good ones can be dangerous if the owner is in the habit of unplugging them from the cord. The odds of someone setting a fire with a bad outlet strip may be 1 million to 1, but if that the outlet strip is not allowed, then the odds drop slightly. I'll take the best odds.

Just because nobody said anything doesn't mean it's okay. The electrical systems on the ship are different than at home and using an unapproved cord is a real safety hazard. That is why extension cords are not allowed. However as others have said, multi-port adapters are okay.

I understand the point. Absolutely. But there are a lot of RC "rules" that aren't uniformly applied and appear to be open to interpretation. I was just offering some assistance based on my experience.

I can confirm that you can't take waffle makers on board in San Juan. Saw that on the confiscated table as we got off the ship. I should have taken a picture of it, but I didn't think of that.

I was surprised in our GS (on Adventure) They had an extension cord plugged in behind the sofa. It powered the TV, lamp, playstation, and something else (I didn't know what it was so I didn't touch it). There were 2 outlets open, I asked the RA if I could plug a charger in, he said it was fine, just please only 1 and leave one free....

I have used the Belkin Outlets To Go (4 socket) Power Adapter on over 50 Cruises.

It plugs into itself and does not present a plug and looks like an electronic device.

Belkin1.jpg

Belkin2.jpg

+1

This is what I travel with, and it's great.

Sent from my iPad

Can I ask what is great about it? I don't see any USB ports so I can't imagine.

Monster used to make great stuff. They still do, mostly, and this is a very high quality simple compact unit.

The plug is angled so its easy to use. And, it works well with various power adapters when abroad.

I don't want integrated USB ports since the requirements keep changing...I travel with compact 2.1A dual units (two of them, since I've learned they do go missing during travel) which typically provide more USB power than the cheap integrated solutions. Currently 2.1A is the right choice for iPads, etc, but that may change soon and I don't want to be locked into a specific power rating (or only have one high speed and multiple slow speed).

There are some good choices out there, but they are not all equal.

Sent from my iPad

Edited by Okmyx

I can confirm that you can't take waffle makers on board in San Juan. Saw that on the confiscated table as we got off the ship. I should have taken a picture of it, but I didn't think of that.

Wow. That's the best thing I've heard of being confiscated. Why would one need a waffle maker? Aside from the obvious, of course...

The issue is you can not bring an extension cord. Power strips that have the extension cord built in may be confiscated.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=2608&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

I don't see any restrictions on this page for power strips and the like. Did you post the correct page?

Sent from my iPad