Why are we going to Lesbos

ceejilly

There are now close to 25,000 refugees on the Island. Considering the population size of 80,000 and limited resources -- that is ripe for trouble.

Per a post on the Regent board, Mariner, which was due to port in Lesbos today, has substituted a sea day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47673119&postcount=56

Edited by buggins0402

Why is Oceania taking us to Lesbos on Tuesday 8th Sept:confused: We are due to port at Mitilini. Lesbos for 9 hours. If you are not up to date with the current news or on holiday on Mars then you are excused but to be serious, Oceania is taking us to a refugee base for the migrants trying to leave the Island by whatever means to get to mainland Greece. The newspaper photos coming out of Mitilini (UK Daily Mail, dated 4 Sept) show migrants rioting on the port streets, throwing stones and rocks at police who are reported to be firing stun grenades into the crowds to disperse them. Not the quiet Greek Island we are expecting!!! I for one will be staying on board for the day and questions to Oceania are going to be asked:(

A shame regarding the present conditions, but there is virtually nothing to see at all in Lesbos. You can walk the streets for 1 hour and back to ship. It should never have been an Oceania port stop. This was everyone's opinion on our cruise last year.

A shame regarding the present conditions, but there is virtually nothing to see at all in Lesbos. You can walk the streets for 1 hour and back to ship. It should never have been an Oceania port stop. This was everyone's opinion on our cruise last year.

Oh, I am so sorry you found Mitilini…um…lacking. We were there in 2012 and had a glorious day! We walked up to the fortress, and spent several hours walking-and-crawling around inside and outside the keep; ambled downhill to the exquisite museum (the mosaics are sensational); then down through neighborhoods all closed up for the Greek version of siesta; thence, finally, down into town, around the marina to a taverna on the water, where we had a platter of calamari and one of grilled sardines, all liberally doused in fresh-squeezed (from my very own hand!) lemon juice. Climbing aboard the tender to return to Regatta was bittersweet.

We are hopeful that, come April, the current crisis will have abated, and we will be able to spend another day - as scheduled - on Lesvos.

Oh, I am so sorry you found Mitilini…um…lacking. We were there in 2012 and had a glorious day! We walked up to the fortress, and spent several hours walking-and-crawling around inside and outside the keep; ambled downhill to the exquisite museum (the mosaics are sensational); then down through neighborhoods all closed up for the Greek version of siesta; thence, finally, down into town, around the marina to a taverna on the water, where we had a platter of calamari and one of grilled sardines, all liberally doused in fresh-squeezed (from my very own hand!) lemon juice. Climbing aboard the tender to return to Regatta was bittersweet.

We are hopeful that, come April, the current crisis will have abated, and we will be able to spend another day - as scheduled - on Lesvos.

I second that. We had a great tour on Lesbos on our Riviera cruise. A lovely island. But then, Jayne interviewed "EVERYONE" on the ship - I mean - everyone! That is quite an accomplishment and should be respected!!! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Why is Oceania taking us to Lesbos on Tuesday 8th Sept:confused: We are due to port at Mitilini. Lesbos for 9 hours. If you are not up to date with the current news or on holiday on Mars then you are excused but to be serious, Oceania is taking us to a refugee base for the migrants trying to leave the Island by whatever means to get to mainland Greece. The newspaper photos coming out of Mitilini (UK Daily Mail, dated 4 Sept) show migrants rioting on the port streets, throwing stones and rocks at police who are reported to be firing stun grenades into the crowds to disperse them. Not the quiet Greek Island we are expecting!!! I for one will be staying on board for the day and questions to Oceania are going to be asked:(

Just to bring you all up to date with the concerns of Lesbos............We have just returned to the UK after sailing on Riviera (Aegean Adventure Cruise).

Oceania decided not to visit Lesbos the day after departing from Istanbul due to the 'unease' being reported from that area, instead we spent the day in Kavala, Greece.

Bodrum was still on the itinerary and although there were a few groups of refugees in the town, there was no obvious trouble.

So a wise move was made by Oceania, though made rather late in the day. Craig