Shaving Math Puzzle on 50 day cruise (Male)

zlato

Please assist me in finding the correct solution to the following puzzle:

If: (a) one shaves twice per day, (b) the preferred shaving gel can weights between 7-8 ounces, © one prefers not to purchase the common gels often sold on ships

Then: how many cans of shaving gels do I need to bring on board?

Not my major problem in my universe; however, recommendations (do not want to grow a beard) appreciated.

No one's mentioned the obvious...just shave once a day before dinner. You're on vacation. No one's going to care if you have stubble during the day. From what I see from celebrities in the news, you'd be very fashionable!

zlato, please follow these instructions to achieve the desired mathematical outcome. :)

1. Purchase a nice new container of your favourite gel today.
  2. Begin using it tomorrow. (Note on calendar the start date)
  3. The day the can runs out, make another note on calendar.
  4. Add up the number of days to see how long one container lasts.
  5. Divide the number of expected cruise days by the above total.
  6. Buy this many containers (plus one more just incase) of your favourite shaving gel.

Enjoy your wonderful cruise. :) ;)

colbe MEdMath (Hons)

This is the correct answer, although I mark the start date on the product with a Sharpie. Have done the same with toothpaste, anti-perspirant, shampoo, and soaps.

You guys with heavy beards go though a lot more shaving cream and blades than I do.

I am still a member of the double edge razor, badger brush and shaving mug set. I can tell from experience that two bars of Williams Shaving Soap (getting harder and harder to find) will last at least 65 days.

I carry a second razor, second brush and second mug in my shaving kit. That way, I will not be too likely to forget some of this stuff.

Incidentally, this is a very economical way to shave after the initial outlay. My travel razor is a 1963 vintage Gillette twist to open, my brush is at leas 20 years old and the mug is about the same vintage. Blades cost me less than 50 cents each (in bulk) and the soap is about a dollar a cake.

End of commercial.

Doc

Shaving mug, shaving brush and a puck of high quality shaving soap.

Will cost you less that the equivalent number of shaves using shave gel, you'll get a better first pass because the brush lifts your hair and it creates far less waste.

Added bonus, it's legit for carry on.

Years ago, DuPont supplied a brush component to an all in one Gillette product. While the product was on the market I used it and resulted in probably the best shaves I ever had. Now that was a convenient product idea. You eliminated the mug and the soap dispensed directly onto the brush.:)

I realize a woman's shaving needs are different from a man's, but years ago someone recommended to me to use conditioner rather than shaving gel. Still follow that advice as conditioner products are more readily available, cost much less and do the job just as well for me.

I tried the conditioner on my legs last night. Works great! Thx for the tip.

Spot on! For what it's worth, though, I've found that the conditioner or lotion works MUCH better as shave cream than soap of any kind - No nicks!

I think it must really depend on the composition of the conditioner or lotion. There are SO many on the market and they all seem different.

I am going to do a survey myself, pull out all the bottles I have and test them!

A sincere thanks for all the responses. In a previous life, I also (a)tried an electric razor, (b)shaving mug with soap and brush followed by a splash of bay rum or old spice (thought that this might impress women), and © shaving cream in a jar. I never felt I received a clean shave from an electric razor, and use of mug was too much effort plus a splash of bay rum felt like putting acid on my face (ouch!). It seemed like the manly thing to do! I will attempt to monitor my use of preferred shave gel prior to the cruise (Aveeno) and probably pack 3 cans as a start. Shaving once a day (prior to dinner) is also a logical solution; however, I tend to feel "grubby" when not clean shaven. Do women really prefer the unshaven look? Maybe I should first ask my wife! I also grew a beard until somebody asked me if I was related to Mr. Abraham Lincoln family. The good old days: Burma Shave, Gillette razor (one blade), Old Spice or Aqua Velva, and some liquid grease to try to straighten curly hair. I guess we are now all "metro" (Lab series, etc.). Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

A sincere thanks for all the responses. In a previous life, I also (a)tried an electric razor, (b)shaving mug with soap and brush followed by a splash of bay rum or old spice (thought that this might impress women), and © shaving cream in a jar. I never felt I received a clean shave from an electric razor, and use of mug was too much effort plus a splash of bay rum felt like putting acid on my face (ouch!). It seemed like the manly thing to do! I will attempt to monitor my use of preferred shave gel prior to the cruise (Aveeno) and probably pack 3 cans as a start. Shaving once a day (prior to dinner) is also a logical solution; however, I tend to feel "grubby" when not clean shaven. Do women really prefer the unshaven look? Maybe I should first ask my wife! I also grew a beard until somebody asked me if I was related to Mr. Abraham Lincoln family. The good old days: Burma Shave, Gillette razor (one blade), Old Spice or Aqua Velva, and some liquid grease to try to straighten curly hair. I guess we are now all "metro" (Lab series, etc.). Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Do ask your wife!

Thanks for starting such a great thread. I bet you had no idea.............!

I love a man that has a clean shave. I hate that scruffy unshaven look that some woman like. To me it just looks dirty.

Come on... don't tell me you don't have this album?

Now you know why guys like shave with whipped cream.... if there is some left over from your GF or DW! An electric shaver? Wouldn't even think of it.

One of the first ever purchased. What a memory.

Up until recently (not as steady as I used to be) I have shaved with an old fashioned straight razor that I bought in the early seventies. One razor for over 30 years and for the last ten or so years stopped using the old mug or canned creams. After a good hot soap and water wash a few drops of Shave Secret shave oil on a wet face has served we better than most mug or aerosol creams. One tiny bottle (less than an ounce) will (or should) last a few months. It works equally as well with the typical disposables.

bosco