Carnival Legend 8/25-9/1 Alaska Review!

maileehawj

Thank you for your review and beautiful pictures. We cruised to Alaska last summer (and in 2006) and I really enjoyed reliving the beautiful scenery. Our first trip was supposed to be a "once in a lifetime trip" but I am already longing to go again!

You are welcome! Hopefully my once in a lifetime becomes a couple more like yours did!! :)

Can't wait for our trip next July. We are also thinking of renting a car in Skagway. I've already download Murray's guide :)

I loved renting our own car because we definitely went at our own pace!! Plus it was a huge money saver!! Saw the buses that are offered through the cruise, cruise right by us plenty of times so I'm glad I didn't pick that option either. I still question if and how much I missed by skipping out on the train. But you win some you lose some!! Good luck on your trip next summer!!!

Thank you very much for your beautiful pictures of the Tracy Arm. Have read on CC many good comments about it but truly see it through your pictures for the first time.

Awe thanks!! That's very kind of you!! That's exactly what I hoped my photos would do ;)

loved the review, beautiful pictures. So sorry you had rainy weather.

Did you have any more to add about the ship? The dining room, the lido, your cabin?

Thanks

I took photos of the entire ship on my day at sea but unfortunately it looks like I accidentally deleted all the photos :mad:

The ship...Before going on, I had read some reviews saying it was old and rusty..I didn't find this to be true. The only thing that looked like it needed to be upgraded were the chairs in the Follies. They were very old looking and wearing out. I've only been on the Carnival Freedom so that's my only comparison. Definitely not as nice as the Freedom. The activities on the ship felt like they were few and far from each other. A lot of people just playing cards at the buffet tables. Dance parties were full of teenagers! lol! Karaoke, went one night and the only who showed up besides us was the host. Ecks. The Firebird Lounge (comedy shows etc) was really pretty! But the seatings were really weird. They had rows of couches with chairs lined up in front of them.

The lido..I found strange as the the elevators come right into the buffet section (coming from front to back of ship). And it also had a staircase going up, when you looked down the lobby was there. When you went up the stairs, a restaurant was there. I found it took up a lot of space that tables could have been. But it didn't bother me as when I ate buffet, I was always towards the back of the ship. Other than that the Lido was nice. I'm not a picky eater but the buffet food was definitely underwhelming; not much variety from day to day. We ate dinner mostly at Truffles. The food there was good!

Our room, as I mentioned in my review was under the Lido. If you are a light sleeper, don't get my room 8236. There were a few nights when I was awoken to chairs being moved at 2-3AM. I'm a light sleeper but noise doesn't bug me so I always fell right back asleep. As the room itself, it was nice. Not much different from Freedom's.

Hmmm..I'm not sure what else to say. If you have any specific question, feel free to ask :)

Edited by maileehawj

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Great photos. Got anymore of the food on the ship?

Sorry, I posted what I had. I was always too hungry to take photos. From what I recall buffet food wasn't the greatest but it wasn't the worst either. Restaurant dinner was excellent! I'm not a dessert person, never order dessert nor do I go for cake at birthdays. But they had this amazing hot cake with ice cream, I ate it whenever we went to dinner!

Wondering if the dining room was open early for breakfast on port days since the time is so early?

My memory is a little hazy now but if I recall correctly, breakfast opened at 6AM. We ate every morning! Always gave ourselves half an hour to eat.

I loved my Tracy Arm excursion - I may just do it again after seeing your photos.

WOW!!! Thank you, that's a huge compliment!!

Edited by maileehawj

Do you recall how you reserved your double decker bus tour in Victoria? I think that sounds like a good idea but It's not offered on carnivals site yet, and when I searched other companies, none of them offer night tours or they are not on the night we port :-( maybe things will be updated as we get closer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I was looking at the photos from your Alaska cruise. Very nice. You said that you used the a5100. Which lenses did you use?

Thank you! I shot mostly with Sony 35 f/1.8. But there are a few with the kit lens, Canon 85 f/1.8 and Sony 75-300mm.

I enjoyed reading your great review and looking at your fabulous photos. We were on the Legend in mid-August. Sorry you had so much rain, it really does put a damper on things. The whale watch we did in Juneau was in the rain. Our captain told us "The whales don't mind- they are already wet!" Your crab combo from Tracy's looked incredibly delicious! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Do you recall how you reserved your double decker bus tour in Victoria? I think that sounds like a good idea but It's not offered on carnivals site yet, and when I searched other companies, none of them offer night tours or they are not on the night we port :-( maybe things will be updated as we get closer.

Sorry! I just saw this question. Even though it's a year late, I'll still answer incase anyone else is interested. The double decker bus tour was offered through Carnival. And because we arrived there so late, it just happened to be a night tour.

I enjoyed reading your great review and looking at your fabulous photos. We were on the Legend in mid-August. Sorry you had so much rain, it really does put a damper on things. The whale watch we did in Juneau was in the rain. Our captain told us "The whales don't mind- they are already wet!" Your crab combo from Tracy's looked incredibly delicious! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

That crab combo was soooooo good!!! Every time I eat anything that consists of food like this I'm reminded of Alaska! So far, nothing has compared to Tracy's. :(

We are going in July and even though this thread is now almost a few years old I really enjoyed reading through it, seeing all the pictures and getting some non carnival advice on things to do. Thank you so much for taking the time to post everything.

We are going in July and even though this thread is now almost a few years old I really enjoyed reading through it, seeing all the pictures and getting some non carnival advice on things to do. Thank you so much for taking the time to post everything.

You're welcome!! I'm glad I could help share my trip with all of you! I'm so jealous of your trip in July, you'll LOVE it!!