Henna Tattoos

Eagercruiser8

I am going on a 5 night cruise to the Caribbean and would like to get a henna tattoo. I was thinking about getting henna at the second port, but I am worried about the tattoo washing off with the chlorine in the pools and washing my hands all the time. Should I be this paranoid?

A good henna tattoo should last 1-2 weeks as long as it is applied properly and you avoid getting it wet for 12-18 hours. The more important thing is to avoid "black henna" which can be quite toxic. Not sure I'd trust a henna "artist" in a caribbean port, however.

agree with above poster. Seen a little info on this myself before and the bullet points were that a real "henna" tattoo takes a very long time to do and multiple coats and then will last a while. It should go on red at first and over several coats will appear black. But many people use shortcuts for tourists so it doesn't take as long and there is something called black henna that some people will use that is highly toxic.

Cut and paste from this site:

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/drugs-products-medicaments-produits/consumer-consommation/products-produits/tattoos-tatouages-eng.php

"If you are unsure if a henna tattoo ink or paste contains PPD, look for the following signs:

The ink, paste or tattoo itself is a very dark black.

The tattoo ink sets very quickly.

Natural henna paste must set for many hours to completely darken.

The ink or paste has very little or no scent.

Natural henna tends to smell like soil, hay or an essential oil (a strong smelling oil made from plants)."

I would think that this characteristic would be of interest to the local vendors.

Faster drying, more customers.

I'd pass on this, but you're free to choose.