Which TV series should I watch on cruise?

stuartgrn

Ok, so most people I see relaxing on the cruise are reading but in recent years I have started watching movies/ TV series on a tablet to relax instead of reading. It's a great chance for me to really get into one of those must see TV series that I've never got round to watching. We are going away in 3 weeks time and I'm yet to decide what to load onto my tablet to watch onboard. I've recently enjoyed Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Homeland and 24 and don't know what to go for next so thought I'd ask you good people for some suggestions. I don't mind if I don't get the time to watch a whole series - just something to get me hooked - I can complete a series when I get home. What would you guys suggest I try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Based on what you've listed, check out The Americans. FX show with several seasons available. I'm a huge TV nerd and I can tell you that this is the one (in that spy/thriller/suspense genre) the TV critics love right now, even if it doesn't get quite as much buzz as the ones you listed.

Edited by perditax

Oh. Good question. I'm going to load a few as well. My husband got me hooked on Dexter a while back, which is a bit macabre so it's not for everyone. But clever. I loved it. Ended up binge watching the entire series.

I have been wanting to watch Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad. So that's what I intend to load. For November.

Disclaimer: I am extremely opinionated about television, so feel free to ignore me. Sons of Anarchy had a couple of decent seasons, but ultimately it devolved into a bunch of pointlessly, graphically violent misogynistic gibberish.

(You won't catch me saying a bad word about Breaking Bad, though. Its spinoff, Better Call Saul, has been decent but slow to build so far. Worth checking out.)

Edited by perditax

The West Wing - intelligent, funny, sad, scary and you learn about politics. Real folks that worked in the White House did an episode talking about how real the show is.

If you liked Homeland, you will like West Wing.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by harlekuin

The West Wing - intelligent, funny, sad, scary and you learn about politics. Real folks that worked in the White House did an episode talking about how real the show is.

If you liked Homeland, you will like West Wing.

Just my 2 cents.

Is West Wing slow to start? I tried getting into it a while back but it didn't get me hooked straight away. I've got them on a SD card so might give it another go.

Based on what you've listed, check out The Americans. FX show with several seasons available. I'm a huge TV nerd and I can tell you that this is the one (in that spy/thriller/suspense genre) the TV critics love right now, even if it doesn't get quite as much buzz as the ones you listed.

I'll take a look, thanks

Disclaimer: I am extremely opinionated about television, so feel free to ignore me. Sons of Anarchy had a couple of decent seasons, but ultimately it devolved into a bunch of pointlessly, graphically violent misogynistic gibberish.

(You won't catch me saying a bad word about Breaking Bad, though. Its spinoff, Better Call Saul, has been decent but slow to build so far. Worth checking out.)

I watched BCS on Netflix and liked it.

Is West Wing slow to start? I tried getting into it a while back but it didn't get me hooked straight away. I've got them on a SD card so might give it another go.

Two things, I think:

1) it's going to seem tonally like night and day after watching House of Cards.

2) it does start slow, but more importantly, the main writer has a very specific style, and you may find that you either love it or hate it pretty quickly.

FYI...

For those who have Amazon Prime subscriptions that includes their Prime Instant Video service, it's now possible to download Prime videos to your tablet so that you can bring your content with you on your device rather than have to stream it over the potentially slow onboard WiFi.

Edited by Daghis

It depends if your interests are contemporary drama or historical fiction. Since I rarely watch TV it seems except for Sunday night, I'm my own miniseries expert. I particularly enjoyed Starz' Pillars of the Earth; Showtime's Tudors, Borgias, and Weed; and the best of HBO: Big Love, Band of Brothers, Boardwalk Empire, John Adams, Mikdred Pierce, Rome, Veep, and my current obsession GAME OF THRONES; and there's always PBS classics from Sherlock & Downton Abbey, all the way back to Forsyth Saga & Upstairs/ Downstairs.

Rather graphic, but if you get through the first season of Game of Thrones, you'll be hooked for life! Personally, I decided to download just a few movies I've not seen, until I brought up GOT. 😵

Edited by MURPHY27

Well, there is a ton of dialogue and you do have to pay attention. I watched it when it was on originally, but my husb is in the middle of season 5 right now I think, and has enjoyed the twists and turns.

Since you already have it, worth a shot, but don't skip ahead because each episode builds on the last.

Edited by harlekuin

Two things, I think:

1) it's going to seem tonally like night and day after watching House of Cards.

2) it does start slow, but more importantly, the main writer has a very specific style, and you may find that you either love it or hate it pretty quickly.

Haven't seen House of Cards, but I totally agree with #2.

I just binged watched all 7 seasons of The West Wing. It was not as good after Aaron Sorkin left (I think end of season 4), but it is still a great show and rebounds for the last season.

My personal favourite shows are, in no particular order (except #1 which really is #1. All would be great for binge watching:

1) Lost

2) Battlestar Gallactica (reboot)

3) The Wire

4) The Americans

5) Broadchurch

6) Dr Who

7) Sherlock

8) Arrested Development

9) Band of Brothers

10) The Pacific

10) Dexter (until Season end of season 4)

11) Ken Burn's documentaries the Civil War & The War

I am sure I am missing a ton...

Also, randomly: doesn't have mass commercial appeal, but Rectify (Sundance, also on Netflix) is one of the finest television shows currently airing. Slow burn, though.

Good catch from the posted up thread about being able to store Amazon Prime offline. That was announced last week and I totally forgot. I need some stuff for my plane rides at least.

Another vote for Game of Thrones. I recently finished a 5-season binge. Great show.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but Walking Dead is good, IMO.

Travelling is a great time to get in some binge-watching. Waiting for/during flights/bus trips, unexpected delays, at bedtime, relaxing on deck or your balcony, on the treadmill, etc. I always bring an SD card or flash drive filled w/stuff to watch on trips.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

The Killing, Mad Men, and Rectify are three others to check out in your leisure time. :

Another Rectify viewer! Did you know it's literally got the lowest viewing numbers of any cable drama? Fortunately Sundance doesn't care. I still spread the word whenever I can.

Edited by perditax

I'm voting for lost and six feet under....oldies but goodies....I did therapeutic foster care for 19yrs for dozens of children that the universe had given up on....you can bet that on a cruise I often read a book from cover to cover only stopping to dip in a pool!!....one of life's greatest pleasures!!