Airport adventure xsm

I suspect that it is two things.

The boat they use appears to need a fixed, structured dock to tie up to for offloading passengers, and such does not (currently) exist at Maho.

Secondly, I think they just don't want to lose track of their passengers while they are in the water. If people swam ashore/were shuttled ashore for a few drinks, how do they round them up when it is time to head back to port?

BTW, there are MAJOR changes coming to the Maho Sunset Bar and Grill complex.

gary

You're right the boat is a ways out compared to the cats at Mullet, Grand Case ect. It gives people a taste of Maho but not the experience which is a shame.

I would definitely find out if they take you to shore. I saw a boat out by the point on the Sunset Bar and Grill end of the beach. It had a floating dock. I saw people swimming by the boat but did not see anyone being brought to the beach by dinghy. The planes do not fly over head where this boat was so if that's the boat that is the excursion boat I think knowing the answer to that question would be very important if you want a real Maho experience.

We took this excursion (RC excursion) a few weeks ago and we really enjoyed it. Have been to the beach with Sunset Bar and Grill before but we enjoyed the cruise off the coast of St. Maarten to the airport site. Something to consider. There were children enjoying this as well.

We took this excursion (RC excursion) a few weeks ago and we really enjoyed it. Have been to the beach with Sunset Bar and Grill before but we enjoyed the cruise off the coast of St. Maarten to the airport site. Something to consider. There were children enjoying this as well.

I love to be right under the planes and the middle of the beach is pretty much rocks these days so the boat trip would at least give you an idea of the real Maho experience and you don't have to deal with traffic or bridge openings which is definitely a bonus.:)

We were on the RCI Allure in June 2013 on our first visit and the planes were FIRST thing we wanted to do AFTER picking up shirts from the Hard Rock Cafe. We ate lunch at a Subway very nearby and then found a taxi to take us to Sunset Bar & Grill. We missed the BIG planes but was still able to view many other planes for a couple of hours and walk around. Had a fun time! We grabbed a taxi from the Sunset Bar & Grill and headed back. No issues for our visit. I know I had heard that you don't want to catch it too close in the evening trying to get back to the ships due to traffic and the drawbridge. Now we're looking forward to our next visit in June 2016! Can't wait!

I suspect that it is two things.

The boat they use appears to need a fixed, structured dock to tie up to for offloading passengers, and such does not (currently) exist at Maho.

Secondly, I think they just don't want to lose track of their passengers while they are in the water. If people swam ashore/were shuttled ashore for a few drinks, how do they round them up when it is time to head back to port?

BTW, there are MAJOR changes coming to the Maho Sunset Bar and Grill complex.

gary

What changes are coming to Sunset Bar and Grill?

I said I would report back, we took this excursion on Thursday (9/24) from RCCL. Weather was great! We had a fun time and the crew is terrific. There is a bar that serves food and drinks all very reasonable priced. The best part is they let you run a tab, and you just settle it up before getting off.

Our tour was in the morning, it took about 20-30 min to get out to Maho area, then we had about 2 hours out in the water. We had a mix of children with us (6-16) all novice snorklers. They had a BLAST! I didn't see much a whole lot of fish, but my kids didn't have anything to compare. It was fun to just float around in the water.

Now for the plane action, it certainly is not the same experience I have been told as to standing on the beach. The picture above that shows all the rocks, is exactly what it looked like last week as well. There really isn't any beach except to the left if facing the airport. We saw several small planes and one bigger plane. The afternoon tour maybe from carnival? Will get to see bigger and better planes I think.

IF you think you can have beach access or will get to see the big 747, you will probably be disappointed. But if you go into this knowing what is is, it truly was a lot of fun. Would I do it again, no probably not but glad we did it.

Also when they bring you back they give you the option to get off the boat at port (where they picked you up) or bring you into town, you can than walk back which they said was a 15 min walk or take the water taxi. We didn't know ahead that was an option and the little kids were tried and wanted to get off. If anyone has any questions let me know.

I said I would report back, we took this excursion on Thursday (9/24) from RCCL. Weather was great! We had a fun time and the crew is terrific. There is a bar that serves food and drinks all very reasonable priced. The best part is they let you run a tab, and you just settle it up before getting off.

Our tour was in the morning, it took about 20-30 min to get out to Maho area, then we had about 2 hours out in the water. We had a mix of children with us (6-16) all novice snorklers. They had a BLAST! I didn't see much a whole lot of fish, but my kids didn't have anything to compare. It was fun to just float around in the water.

Now for the plane action, it certainly is not the same experience I have been told as to standing on the beach. The picture above that shows all the rocks, is exactly what it looked like last week as well. There really isn't any beach except to the left if facing the airport. We saw several small planes and one bigger plane. The afternoon tour maybe from carnival? Will get to see bigger and better planes I think.

IF you think you can have beach access or will get to see the big 747, you will probably be disappointed. But if you go into this knowing what is is, it truly was a lot of fun. Would I do it again, no probably not but glad we did it.

Also when they bring you back they give you the option to get off the boat at port (where they picked you up) or bring you into town, you can than walk back which they said was a 15 min walk or take the water taxi. We didn't know ahead that was an option and the little kids were tried and wanted to get off. If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thank you so much!

Great review. We enjoyed the excursion a few weeks ago. Agree, the crew were very accommodating.

You do know, that they put in another bridge a few years ago? There is no issue, any longer- with your, out of date, drawbridge claim.

The Causeway Bridge definitely gives more options but there are still times when we have had very slow thick traffic using the new Causeway bridge. Both of these bridges still have several bridge opening times per day. :)

Edited by Karysa

Exactly karysa,

The new Causeway Bridge alleviates, but definitely does not eliminate, the bridge traffic and the return trip problems from Maho in the afternoons.

gary

The thing that those not as familiar with the island or cruising might not know is that even in the mid -2000's that road through Simpson Bay was very, very busy especially in the mornings and again in the afternoon. That's when the island got 3 or so ships in with 2,500-3,000 passengers on each of them. Now 7 ships with some in the 5,000 passenger range is not unheard of. Traffic issues continued to worsen over the years until the Causeway bridge opened in 2014. Also, Maho itself has become increasingly popular over the last 5 years or so in large part because of the popularity of you- tube videos of the planes landing and international TV news programs showing people injuring themselves by being blown into concrete barriers when hanging onto the fence at take-off..

BTW, there are MAJOR changes coming to the Maho Sunset Bar and Grill complex. gary

Will be going to Maho Beach at the end of November and wondering what those major changes will be at the Sunset bar since there is nowhere else to sit on the beach anymore and we are not planning on taking the boat excursion. Thank you for replying, Gary.

Preliminary drawings show Sunset expanding into the adjacent property that used to be the Bliss nightclub (at the Alegria resort).

I wouldn't expect anything to even begin by November. High season begins mid-December and I doubt they would want to have heavy construction going on then.

gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We booked thru Royal Caribbean. It is a new excursion and the owner said he was trying to add Carnival to the list.

Thanks, I found it on Carnival for $80. No food or drinks included, and only 3.5 hours. What a ripoff.