East Side....any snorkeling there? Tequila Tasting??

krueg2828

I am considering a private driver for a one-day cruise excursion. I would like to see the east side of Cozumel and I am wondering if there is any off beach snorkeling there. I also want to do a higher end tequila tasting, not the sweet, syrupy stuff....any suggestions?? I am also wondering if there is a beach stop-off where I could get a boat to do a one hour snorkel over a reef. Thanks for your help!

To snorkel, you want to be on the west side of the island. This is where the calmer, clear water is as well as the reefs Cozumel is known for.

The east side the waves and undertow can be very strong and it is generally recommended to not swim over there. (If there is a "norte" the winds change this- where the west side is very choppy but the west side smooth. This happens occasionally in the winter.) I do know of people who have gone scuba diving on the east side when a norte is in town, but I don't know what kind of reef structures they even have over there- it is a totally different experience, and I think.

Here's a good article about diving the east side, which you can extend to a snorkeling experience: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/DivingTheWildSide.htm

I don't drink, so I can't help you on the tequila tastings.

Edited by skittl1321

There is snorkeling at Punta Sur which is still technically the "west side" but it's at the lighthouse where you turn to go up the east side. You can swim at Chen Rio in the small lagoon there assuming no warning flags are out. But nothing to see snorkeling.

The beach clubs on the east side have bars but no organized tequila tastings, like at Chankanaab Park on the west side. There is the "Tequila Factory" along the transversal road between the east side and San Miguel (downtown), but they only have tequila from a single place Casa Hacienda. It's not bad and CH makes all types blanco, reposado anejo, etc. and you can buy bottles at TF. They also have a place downtown.

I have to interject that the East Side has AMAZING snorkeling. Far superior to the West side, but the issue is that it is a pretty far swim out, and there will be no organized (unless you do something private) tours that will take you there.

We were lucky enough to be able to snorkel on the east side about 10 years ago when the Dune Buggy tour took you up the unadulterated northeast coast. We stopped at a small ruin and then had lunch on the beach. We could see the reef, and although it was a calm day, it was a good long swim out there. Once we were there, though it was amazing. We were in about 20-30 ft of water and the reef came all the way up to the surface. we watched below as the divers swam below and through the reef.

We are experienced snorkelers and have our own gear. There were about 8 of us from the tour that made the swim and we are so glad we did, BUT we all wished we'd taken the snorkel vests that were offered, as we were tired by the time we got back.

There are lots of warnings of no swimming and heavy currents on the east side, so while you might be able to find a cove or two to snorkel around in, and the East side snorkeling was AMAZING, I would not do it without some sort of dive/snorkel group.

Thanks! I'm rethinking my decision to go to the East Side to snorkel. Maybe someone has advice on best beach club to go to that I can grab a boat to take us out to the reef on the West Side. Also, I'm still open to hearing about the best place to tequila taste. Thanks again!

I haven't done a tequila tasting but there are several opportunities on the road out to the east side for you to research - Casa Mission, Mi Mexico Lindo, Hacienda Antigua, Peepee station.

Snorkeling on the east side has more or less been covered - either the north end which I don't think you can get to by car any more since the hurricane ( I have heard of one of the locals offering guided snorkle tours there and power snorkeling but I believe they access by boat and I don't think you would have time on a cruise ship day), or the beach at Punta Sur at the southern end. You would be better to take your tour and then get dropped off at one of the west side beaches- Palancar, Mr Sanchos, Paradise Beach and take a boat out or shore snorkle from Sky Reef, Corona or Money Bar. You could catch a cab back from any if those locations.

Another thought would be to take a tour anti-clockwise round the island round east coast and get dropped off at Buccanos north of town for shore snorkeling and tequila tasting at one location and take a cab back. There was a $10 entry fee to include snorkle equipment last time I checked, you would need to check current policy.

Although I have visited mist of these locations I cannot vouch for tequila or snorkeling at any of these places- you would need to research which would be most suitable. I would caution that I think a boat snorkle may be pushing it timewise combined with a private driver tour depending how long your ship is in port, unless you intend to have your driver wait while you snorkle and overlap time.