Autotrain from Lorton Va to Sanford Florda Hotel Help

cruzinfourfun

I'd probably look at National Harbor. There are the usual chains, and a nice Residence Inn. That's assuming you're coming from Jersey. There are hotels off 95 in Springfield, but you kind of have to know where they are and you'll get caught in the Mixing Bowl. Also several south of Lorton off of Prince William Parkway. What time does the auto train load? If it's afternoon, the hotels south might be a good option.

I'd probably look at National Harbor. There are the usual chains, and a nice Residence Inn. That's assuming you're coming from Jersey. There are hotels off 95 in Springfield, but you kind of have to know where they are and you'll get caught in the Mixing Bowl. Also several south of Lorton off of Prince William Parkway. What time does the auto train load? If it's afternoon, the hotels south might be a good option.

Yes we are coming from NJ. I looked in Springfield and read Trip Advisor reviews and wasn't happy with comments I read. I thought the Embassy Suites would be good but they said they have no security nor any outside cameras. Our car will be full of luggage, laptop etc. Some one suggested the Comfort Inn but reviews were bad.

What is the mixing bowl?

The train is on Monday, my error in booking because I thought it was Sunday. Now, there is no opening for Sunday and we are not comfortable driving from NJ on a Monday morning. Last time we did this we took the train on a Sunday. So we thought we'd come down the night before to be sure we're there without the added stress of traffic. We need to have our car to the station for 1 pm.

Edited by cruzinfourfun

I did look at Embassy, I almost made a reservation. When i asked if there was any security in the parking lot I was told no, not even cameras.

What do you think? Do you know this hotel? anything about the parking lot? The gal I spoke to said they except to be full the night we need. Even though we have HC plates she said we may not be able to get a HC space in their lot.

What is the mixing bowl?

The Mixing Bowl is the multi-way interchange of I-95/I-395/I-495 and the surrounding roads, all right in the Springfield area. There are a few newer hotels right off 95/395 (hard to tell them apart in that area) near Backlick as mentioned. I'd be iffy at any of the suburban hotels with a loaded car, though.

As I mentioned before, please do not leave a "loaded" car anywhere. I was in a fenced in lot with security. When I went to my car, it was emptied. Only my personal insurance helped.

I am so sorry for you. After discussing it with DH he says we will drive to Lorton on Monday and just have to leave very early. I was trying to remove the stress of traffic and accidents. It's a 5-6 hour ride.

Thank you for all your help.

I am so sorry for you. After discussing it with DH he says we will drive to Lorton on Monday and just have to leave very early. I was trying to remove the stress of traffic and accidents. It's a 5-6 hour ride.

Thank you for all your help.

As I stated in your other posts Comfort Inn at Lorton is very safe my family and I stay there when we visit my sister in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday the area is safe and we have been staying in the hotel since 2009.

The Mixing Bowl is the multi-way interchange of I-95/I-395/I-495 and the surrounding roads, all right in the Springfield area. There are a few newer hotels right off 95/395 (hard to tell them apart in that area) near Backlick as mentioned. I'd be iffy at any of the suburban hotels with a loaded car, though.

It is a real challenge to get through it heading in the direction you hoped.

As I stated in your other posts Comfort Inn at Lorton is very safe my family and I stay there when we visit my sister in November for the Thanksgiving Holiday the area is safe and we have been staying in the hotel since 2009.

As you read in this post, it appears that it is not safe to leave a fully loaded car parked over night near Lorton's train station.

Is the Comfort Inn you are refering to safe if we leave all our things in the car? They will be visable.

Why not drive down the day before as you were plannig. Once you get south of the Belt way find a safe area a short distance from Lorton.

We do not know the area and are not sure what areas are safe. I would prefer to drive down the night before to avoid the traffic, stress and the unknown. But DH says it has to be a safe hotel with security.

• 2 weeks later...
We do not know the area and are not sure what areas are safe. I would prefer to drive down the night before to avoid the traffic, stress and the unknown. But DH says it has to be a safe hotel with security.

Keep in mind no hotel lot even if patrolled by security is 100% safe. You are always taking a risk if you leave anything of value visible in your car. I know of hotels with enclosed parking garages patrolled by security that have had vehicles broken into or vandalized.

Keeping my previous post in mind, the Quality Inn Gunston Corner is 5 minutes from the Auto Train station. Your next closest choice going south is to go to exit 160 in Woodbridge, the Hampton Inn Potomac Mills/Woodbridge is there right by the interchange on Rt. 123 Gordon Blvd.