Too old for strapless

Jane2357

I like the dress, and really love the subdued colours in it. If your chest and decolletage are not wrinkly, I think it would be a very appropriate dress to wear.

A friend of mine is very slender, but has spent w-a-y too much time in the sun, and even though she has a great figure, her chest and shoulders look like old leather and she does not look nice in low cut or strapless dresses. Let us know what you decide!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

As they say, "your never to old" ! I wore this gown, which I received from our CC friend, Marie, 2 yrs. ago & I was 70 yrs. old ! So if you feel comfortable, go for it or you could always add thin straps. :) (sorry the pic is alittle blurry).

Oasis-JudyampHorse_zpsb2aba5e9.jpg

I should be so lucky to look like this at 70! You wore it well!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts --- I'm passing on the dress. I want to age with grace and I feel that I could just not pull this off. It is so stunning but I believe that the strapless ship has sailed for me. Life goes on :)

I just turned 59 in July. I never like my arms; no matter how hard I work on them they are still saggy. But, I am not going to let my saggy arms to stop me from wearing strapless dresses. But again, I am one of those people who would wear an outfit that not many ladies on CC would wear :D.

I wore this gown on the Queen Mary 2 when I was 57

8747114524_91ba7904e4_b.jpg

I wore this gown on the Queen Elizabeth when I was 56

7146930447_174cfe108a_b.jpg

I wore this last year on Queen Victoria. I was 58

14497278595_21e6790a3b_b.jpg

I wore a red strapless gown on the Prinsedam last month. We are still in Europe. I will post the picture when I get home.

Happy Cruising

M

"Bingo Wings" :eek: :D

Sorry, Op asked if she was too mature for strapless. I stand by my answer that I see no reason a simple number should automatically exempt one from enjoying a beautiful item of clothing they like, and I think the photos of older ladies looking stunning in strapless clearly support that. Things like relative perkiness, wrinkles, and the like are a separate issue. Sometimes these issues can be mitigated or covered by use of a wrap or other selectively chosen pieces.

Op has determined she would not feel comfortable in strapless, and I respect that choice. There's no reason to wear something that makes one feel uncomfortable. Hope we all enjoy many wonderful cruises in our future, ladies, and also that everyone is having a good day. :)

I agree with all the posts stating age is but a number. The most important and honestly, the only, thing to consider is how you feel about it. And if you are self conscience then you will feel uncomfortable, and as my son would say, "that is no bueno" LOL

Thanks everyone for the thoughts --- I'm passing on the dress. I want to age with grace and I feel that I could just not pull this off. It is so stunning but I believe that the strapless ship has sailed for me. Life goes on :)

That is a beautiful dress. Sorry to hear that you decided not to purchase it. I must echo everyone else's thoughts and agree that what matters is for a dress to look great on you and compliment your features...age should not be an issue.

I hope you find the "perfect" dress that you feel is more appropriate. :)

Happy shopping!

As they say, "your never to old" ! I wore this gown, which I received from our CC friend, Marie, 2 yrs. ago & I was 70 yrs. old ! So if you feel comfortable, go for it or you could always add thin straps. :) (sorry the pic is alittle blurry).

Hi Judy...you look fabulous in that gown! It's very complimentary and a perfect fit!

I remember when you posted a picture of your yellow sandal a while ago...it was so darn cute!

Hope you've been well! :)

Edited by cruz4evr

Marie, you look amazing as always and all your gowns are stunning! You have excellent taste and I have never seen a dress you've worn that I didn't like.

Hope you're having a great cruise...can't wait to see your new gowns! :)

The dress is beautiful! I wore a strapless gown for the first time last year. I loved the dress so much (also given to me from Marie) that I just had some minor alterations for a perfect fit, it's on my signature here. I'm not totally comfortable wearing strapless but I did with confidence... Btw I'm 60[emoji3]

"Bingo Wings" :eek: :D

Sorry, Op asked if she was too mature for strapless. I stand by my answer that I see no reason a simple number should automatically exempt one from enjoying a beautiful item of clothing they like, and I think the photos of older ladies looking stunning in strapless clearly support that. Things like relative perkiness, wrinkles, and the like are a separate issue. Sometimes these issues can be mitigated or covered by use of a wrap or other selectively chosen pieces.

Op has determined she would not feel comfortable in strapless, and I respect that choice. There's no reason to wear something that makes one feel uncomfortable. Hope we all enjoy many wonderful cruises in our future, ladies, and also that everyone is having a good day.

What a lovely post!:D

Marie, you look amazing in your picture and gowns as always! Can't wait to see your new pictures when you return from your current trip.

Judy,

You look amazing in your gown also...most of all I love that you can see from your picture that you felt great wearing the gown. I love how comfortable you look in the picture!

All you ladies that have posted pictures in your strapless gowns look great!

To the OP:

It's good that you've decided not to wear the dress because throughout this thread you haven't been very confident about wearing strapless. It would ruin your good time if you wore something you didn't feel comfortable and body confident in. I also totally agree with everyone else that age has not a single thing to do with it. It's all about how you feel in whatever you are wearing.

I'm 68 and I would wear strapless but only with some sort of wrap or whatever that would cover-up my upper arms. I hate them!!! I don't care what others would think about them...I personally hate them so that's why I'd have to have some kind of cover-up...not because I'm 68 or care what anyone else thinks.:)

It's not just about age but about the wearer's body. IMO, strapless dresses don't look really good unless the wearer has toned arms and a good bust and the neck area is smooth and not wrinkly.

Totally agree. I like to wear dresses or tops with elbow length or long sleeves at 63.

If the OP feels uncomfortable about how she might look in the dress, I think she made the right decision to pass on it. IMO no woman, no matter what age, looks her best if she is uncomfortable or self-conscious. Lots of people cannot carry off strapless comfortably ( I can't) , especially if the dress does not fit well (which is the case when the dress has to be tugged at constantly).

I wonder if a differently styled dress can be found in a similar fabric?

• 2 weeks later...
Ah...too bad. I am for one refuse to live in the box and follow some silly rules.

I agree!

wear whatever makes you feel good, it doesn't matter what age you are, or what size you are.

A confident woman is a beautiful woman.

There's so much unnecessary judgement.

You look beautiful in all your dresses Porthopper101

I haven't read all the replies ....

It has NOTHING to do with age, and everything to do with body type.

If your "girls" are still roughly where they should be (or can be with assistance) and your arms and back are relatively toned/in shape .... then GO FOR IT!

I've seen girls in their 20s that should not be wearing strapless and women in their 80s who can rock a strapless gown.

Nothing worse than seeing a woman at any age constantly tug at her dress to keep it in place.

If it looks good on you, buy it!

I haven't read all the replies ....

It has NOTHING to do with age, and everything to do with body type.

If your "girls" are still roughly where they should be (or can be with assistance) and your arms and back are relatively toned/in shape .... then GO FOR IT

I've seen girls in their 20s that should not be wearing strapless and women in their 80s who can rock a strapless gown.

Nothing worse than seeing a woman at any age constantly tug at her dress to keep it in place.

If it looks good on you, buy it!

So true..untoned arms at any age look ugly and I should know. Any one who has to think about wearing something because of body type should not!

Edited by orchestrapal

WOW...you look fabulous! Love the hot pink on you too...great color!

That dress looks lovely on you.