P&O or Carnival Australia ?

JanDom

I always forget how huge Australia is.....

Maybe it is better to stay in Sydney and go to Brisbane and Melbourne for a day trip. It seems there a very cheap flight and they only need 1,5 hour. Go earlier and leave late :)

And then maybe go for a day trip to the blue mountains and we will have enough to do :)

Thinking of going to the Great Barrier for a day trip also --

can anybody help me what is the best way to do that and from where ?

From Brisbane or Sydney ?

You would need at least three days to do it. Fly up one day, reef tour the next, fly back on the third day.

It's a three hour flight from Sydney for a start, not sure about Brisbane - two hours at least, maybe longer. Regardless of whether you go to Cairns / Port Douglas or Airlie Beach, most of the reef tours are full day trips and usually depart about 8:30am, returning late afternoon.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thinking of going to the Great Barrier for a day trip also --

can anybody help me what is the best way to do that and from where ?

From Brisbane or Sydney ?

Definitely need a day for the reef so travel up and back on either side of that is best = 3 day trip. Would be the same for Uluru.

I totally agree, Uluru and GBR would be fantastic but way too far for a day trip. If you really wanted to do them I would look at doing them on your way home. Perhaps you could fly from Sydney/Brisbane to Uluru and then from there to Darwin and home from Darwin? Or out of Cairns, I am not sure if they do international flights from there if you decide to do the reef.

Melbourne and Brisbane are both possible day trips but I think you would be sorry you didn't stay longer. They are both beautiful at night too and I think you would be glad if you at least stayed overnight.

That said there is a lot to do in Sydney so you could fill a week there pretty easily. You could train it out to the blue mountains, do the red bus tour city to Bondi beach, catch the ferry to Taronga Park Zoo, climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge, do a harbour dinner or lunch cruise, go to the museums at Darling Harbour, centre point tower... All of these things can be done from the city.

I live in Canberra which is a three hour drive from Sydney. I think it's worth seeing but most Australians will tell you it's boring, for some reason people feel the need to run our capital city down but there is plenty to see there if you are interested in arts and history. Melbourne and Brisbane are both vibrant, fun places. If I had to pick one it would be Melbourne but that is just personal preference. I forget which time of year you are talking about. Brisbane has a good climate all year round, but very hot in our summer. Melbourne is cooler. Still gets hot in summer but is much cooler in Winter (not German cold, but cold for us) but has different seasons whereas Brisbane is just warm all the time.

hope this helps

Suzanne

Sure you can do a day trip to Melbourne but I wouldn't recommend it. Our airlines aren't known for reliability in getting away on time. A couple of hours delay is quite common even with the major more expensive airlines. I have done day trips many times so not against it but on those occasions it has been for a "girls" day out so not a huge loss if our flights are delayed or cancelled. Your situation is different as you will be wanting to see as much of the city in a day, remember also you need to be back at the airport well before check in time, I always plan to be at the airport 1 hour before the required time to allow for any delays.

Oh thank you !!

Germany is quiet small and if I look to the Australien card everythings seems small to. If I then ask for the distances it is a three hours flight - the same then from Germany to Spain :eek:

We want to visit Australia and the pacific Islands in May.

We like warm weather but we don't like it too hot... so maybe it should be the right time.

I now think of maybe going to Melbourne at the end of the trip and from there up to Singapore and back home.

We like the flights more with some stops. So it will be a 6-7-8 hours flights and on the way back 8-7 and 6 hours :)

On the Pacific Islands we just want to go swimming and enjoy the scenery :D

Greets from cold Germany :)

Janine