questions re: wine list and travellers cheques

spearmint

(1) I have seen wine lists published on these boards; can anyone direct me to a thread that shows them with prices?

(2) Not having used traveller's cheques for some years, I wonder if anyone has had any problem using them at hotels, stores etc. as well as paying the on-board bill? With the horrible CDN exchange rate, it is simply too expensive to put everything on our charge card as we usually do. So I am going to bring American money with me only using traveller's cheques instead of cash. I figure to save over $800.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

(1) .......

.....So I am going to bring American money with me only using traveller's cheques instead of cash. I figure to save over $800.

Bill

Are your traveller's checks denominated in American dollars? If they are then Guest Relations will cash them for you with no transaction charge. A US$100 traveller's check will be cashed for US$100 currency.

Are your traveller's checks denominated in American dollars? If they are then Guest Relations will cash them for you with no transaction charge. A US$100 traveller's check will be cashed for US$100 currency.

'Yes, they will be in American; otherwise, I would just put everything on my charge card in Canadian. The cost for $100 would be $136 with another 2.5% for exchange by the charge card.

You may be put of luck at stores, I would call your hotel to see what they say, but you will be able to use your travelers checks on board the ship to settle that account.

I am going to call our pre-and post-cruise hotels for sure. I can take cash, but it would be so much safer to take the t. cheques. We have one night pre-cruise and three nights post-cruise, plus the onboard expenses from the cruise itself. That's a hefty chunk of change to have in cash; hence the t. cheques.

We have encountered what others have said. We had a hotel say that they couldn't take a Travelers Check because they didn't have enough cash to make change but I had not called ahead to check to check. (This was about 4 years ago in the Southern US.) We also found that banks (not the one we use) were hesitant to cash one and at one bank the teller, a young lady, didn't even know what they were. We have however used them on cruise ships since and had no trouble. Good luck!