Boarding Times

ozscot01

We are booked on Voyager OTS out of Sydney on 5th December and I wondered if anyone has any idea when Royal Caribbean will allocate our boarding time. I am seriously considering flying to Sydney the day before so we are "on-site" and won't have to be worried about delayed flights or the like. Am I correct in assuming that we can board later than our allocated time but not earlier?

Many thanks.

You might even be able to board earlier. We were able to on our Rhapsody cruise in March. We turned up at the terminal about 11am and went right through without any delays. However your cabin won't be ready that early so you'll have to lug your carry-ons around the ship with you until it is ready.

Fly in the day before anyway. A small cautionary tale follows.

On our first cruise which was on the VOTS we flew in the day before and we were able to board before our allocated time.

On our second cruise DH booked us connecting flights Mildura to Melbourne, Melbourne to Sydney, leaving Mildura at 6.30a.m and arriving in Sydney at 10.30 a.m. on Qantas. Plenty of time, right?

Due to mechanical problems we ended being transfered to a different airline after hours of waiting in Mildura and seeing that airline having a few flights going in and out. Qantas weren't willing to check us into a flight in Melbourne because we came from a different airline and our bags weren't there 30 minutes before. (After tears and seeing our original booking and hearing again and AGAIN the explaination they conceded). Then the company we booked to take us to the ship didn't turn up at the airport.

So anyway our 5.30 a.m. turn up at the airport to get to the ship by 11.30, ended up being that we checked in with 5 minutes before closing.

Do yourself a favour and don't give yourself the stress.

Due to the recent renovations to the OPT there is now a dedicated seperate area for check in which is not dependant on when the last of the debarking passengers are off the ship which means check in can start earlier than the nominated 11-11:30am which is normally shown on your set sail. This means that unless there are an unusually large number of guests arriving to check in at the same time you can normally check in at what ever time suits you. Your staterooms will not be ready until around 1-1:30pm and depending on when the ship is cleared for boarding you can board straight away.

gbenjo, will the luggage drop off now be in the terminal or will they still have a tent set up?

Fortunately the tents are just a distant memory now and the luggage drop off area is back where it was before the renovation which is outside just next to the new entrance to the terminal.

gbenjo can you please tell me how early we can part with our check_in

luggage at the OPT for the Diamond Princess?:D

Cannot tell you for sure as I only work with Royal & Celebrity but I would assume it would be similar to us which is around 8:30 ish depending on how quickly the debarking passengers are cleared and the baggage guys finish with the debark luggage.

Fortunately the tents are just a distant memory now and the luggage drop off area is back where it was before the renovation which is outside just next to the new entrance to the terminal.

Cool thx for that!! :)

Is the lift still there that goes up to the Observation Deck?

gbenjo can you please tell me how early we can part with our check_in

luggage at the OPT for the Diamond Princess?:D

I haven't been on Diamond yet (another 39 days).

But other times with Princess I have dropped luggage around 8:30 a OPT.

I picked my F-I-L up last year and we arrived about 7:00, had a great run down, and they were already taking luggage for the next cruise, now that one was at White Bay, but can't see that it'd be much different at OPT.

Yes :)

Thanks!

Much as I love having moved out of Sydney and to the bush, I miss getting my OPT and cruise ships in dock fix!! I havent seen the OPT since the refurb and it's really bugging me!! lol .... Moi? Addicted much!!

PS: Do you do General Check-In or Suites Check-In?

Edited by tillydog

Thanks!

Much as I love having moved out of Sydney and to the bush, I miss getting my OPT and cruise ships in dock fix!! I havent seen the OPT since the refurb and it's really bugging me!! lol .... Moi? Addicted much!!

PS: Do you do General Check-In or Suites Check-In?

Depends on the day, normally priority check in but not always. Wherever I am needed :D

Thank you gbenjo and gut for the times. We are flying to Sydney the

day before and staying with friends who are also on the cruise.

We are thinking of catching a ferry to Circular Quay, dropping off

luggage and then going to one of the pubs, mind you that could be

interesting as one glass of wine and I am nearly legless these days.:D:D