Questions about Sabatini's.....Help

psupa

I know I can count on all of you for your input about Sabatini's. Been telling DH that I want to try Sabatini's on our next cruise so I need information from you experts that have tried it. Do you select from a menu and what type of selections are there. How many courses are served, what is the cost per person, and how long are you there. I am worried that I won't be able to move after eating so much. Your thoughts!!!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;9;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 

until the Caribbean Princess

I was on the Grand last week and decided not to repeat Sabatinis'. I had eaten there when I was last on the Grand in 2001. Yes, the main reason was that I remember being stuffed and just not feeling like doing much. You can say that you won't eat a lot but when they continuously serve you it is hard not to. They seemed to get offended if you did not accept every course. I remember they had a cold appetizer and hot appetizer tray, they serve you a little of everything. The pasta course was the killer with, once again, a little of everything. I think I ordered lobster tail for the main course and really did not enjoy it because I was so full. It is a pretty restaurant with nice ambiance, $20 per person plus whatever you would like to drink. If you haven't tried painted desert it is very nice. $8 per person includes a huge delicious margarita. The lobster and black bean soup is great and so is the steak. good chips and salsa too.

We went to Sabatini's last year on the Grand. My DH is an extremely picky eater and does not like seafood. The waiter brings you a set menu except for the main entree which you choose. There were hot and cold appetizers, pasta, I think a tiny pizza. The waiter was great and brought out extra of the non-seafood items so that my DH didn't have to skip a course. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone says that you have to pick ONE entree. I couldn't deicde and narrowed it down to two, told the waiter to pick for me. He brought me both. We loved and I would say we probably spent about 2 hours there.

"so many cruises, so little vacation time"

Diamond Princess - September 2004

Grand Princess - March 2003

Carnival Pride - June 2002

Carnival Victory - June 2001

We ate at Sabatini's twice on the Golden (different cruises). The first time we ate dinner and were stuffed. We could not decide on the entrees, so our waiter suggested a seafood sampler of three different ones.

The second time, we ate brunch. I hate that they have discontinued the brunch menu. (They now serve the dinner menu at brunch.)

Dinner at Sabatini's is quite a production- be sure to allow at least 2 hours.

And yes, it is a tremendous amount of food.

The waiter brings everything to your table and you select what you want. If something is presented that you don't like, skip it. The stuff you DO like, take small portions.

The only thing they didn't present was the soup and the pizza.

Go hungry, and know that you're going to be way full when it's over.

Everybody should have this experience at least once.

T

No problems for reservations if you go as soon as you board. They usually have a table set out in front of Sabatini's from around 1:00 on your sailing date to take reservations. You can also call from your room, but I found it easier to go in person.

Grand Princess 4/14/02

Star Princess 9/21/02

Coral Princess Inaugural 01/03/03

Grand Princess 11/02/03

Golden Princess 1/17/04

Island Princess 1/25/04

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have another question? Do you tip or is this part of the automatic tipping? I'm thinking this is over and above the automatic. Just want to make sure if we decide to go that I know what to expect.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2325FF&cdt=2004;9;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 

Caribbean Princess Sep 04

The surcharge included the tipping. We did not tip any extra, I hope that was right...

"so many cruises, so little vacation time"

Diamond Princess - September 2004

Grand Princess - March 2003

Carnival Pride - June 2002

Carnival Victory - June 2001

As for making reservations at Sabatini's, it is true that there is someone at a table just outside the restaurant when you board to take reservations, and making reserves for any sized party shouldn't be a problem.

What we chose to do, however, was talk to our dining room server first, to find out what night would be best to skip the dining room and have dinner at Sabatini's instead.

Reason for this is, there are a couple of nights that I didn't want to miss in the dining room, specifically LOBSTER NIGHT!!

If you don't care what you'll miss in the dining room, then by all means, make reservations just as soon as you board.

We did not tip beyond the $20 pp surcharge. The debate over this rages on.....

T

This is one of the best meals I've had any resort, afloat or not. It is high quality, authentic Italian as good as any Italian restaurant I've eaten at in NY (except one). You select an entree (or two) from a menu, evrything else is just delivered to you on platters to choose from. I wouldn''t worry too much about missing the main DR meal, its better than anything in there. The best thing was the service. August was our first cruise since PC dining. I loved the convenience, but in six nights in the DR, we had one really good service experience, one bad, and the rest average at best. The wait staff seems uninterested and very rushed to open up your table. This is quite a change from prior traditional cruises. In Sabatini's you get back alot of the old feel of the Princess DR, especially from our 1991 Honeymoon cruise where service was like any top Italian place.

As for tips, we left an extra 10 on the table, though I don't think it is expected.

Archived