Pizza--what is your opinion?

crusinpsychRN

The pizza station on Fantasy class ships like the Paradise still serve the "old" style of pizza. I was told by a sous chef on the Imagination the galley in the aft of the ship where the pizza station is on Fantasy class are not set up to serve the new style of pizza.

Not true. I was on Paradise last week and it's the new pizza, horrible!

But.... The Paradise and Imagination buffet set up is slightly different. The Paradise's (and Elation's) pizza station could be set up differently behind the wall than her older sisters.

Everyone has their own tastes and that's good. Personally I hate the new style and won't order it anymore. The old style wasn't great but it was OK for quick service pizza. The best thing would be if they could allow you to order either the new or the old style.

For what it's worth, for my taste I have yet to find a great pizza outside of NY. :D

We had no issues with the Pizza maker doing as we asked.

We wanted extra sauce, cheese, pepperoni, whatever, he did it.

So for those that do not like it, try asking for it a bit different.

As a side note, a little tip for the guy is certainly appreciated by them.

AND SO I AM WONDERING..

Since he WAS more than willing to do as asked, I kinda think if you asked for a double crust...all he has to do is toss two balls together, I imagine your request may be granted.

I liked the old recipe much better. New version is like a flat bread with a 1/2 teaspoon of sauce. I miss the anchovies too!

Lines seem to indicate people like the new one or are they just getting what they can get?

Totally agree with you on both points: we don't care for the new crust either, liked the older thinner crust better and we too dearly miss the anchovies. On our last cruise they got them from the kitchen (if you pre-request them).....YES!!

Also, lots of maybe newer cruisers who haven't tasted the older version, ....and yes, most people would eat anything, thus the long lines....LOL!! And remember, the pizza counter is open all day/night and is sometimes the ony venue for food, thus the lines, but doesn't mean this new version is "better" than the old! To each his own taste!

Edited by buddylover

We agree. Carnival KILLED a tradition I had with my son where we'd venture over to the Lido Deck for a midnight slice of pizza. The new pizza is inedible to both of us. The cheese looks like melted plastic and tastes as I imagine melted plastic would taste. Oh well...

Edited by The4Cruisers

We agree. Carnival KILLED a tradition I had with my son where we'd venture over to the Lido Deck for a midnight slice of pizza. The new pizza is inedible to both of us. The cheese looks like melted plastic and tastes as I imagine melted plastic would taste. Oh well...

The piece I had on Paradise was just awful! It looked okay but had so little sauce, very little pepperoni and almost no cheese. The guy didn't speak enough English to get through to him I'd like one with extra sauce and pepperoni with more cheese. I'd asked for half a slice (the normal portion to me is like 2 slices) so he cut it in half and gave it to me. No amount of parmesan or red chili pepper flakes could help it. Cardboard.

Agree.

The best pizza I had on Carnival was on the Paradise in 2003 believe it or not. On all other CCL ships, the pizza was still very good until about 2009.

I think the pizza is no longer as good as it used to be due to the use of poor quality ingredients. The cheese didn't seem like "real cheese" to me either. Maybe it is processed cheese. Not good for cheese lover like me.

I miss the anchovies too, as others have stated.

Funny about the anchovies...I was on Legend and there was a long line for pizza (the old kind). I asked for anchovies and the guy next to me said "Hey, me too! You like anchovies? Nobody does! I'm kind of embarrassed to aks for 'em!" We shared a pizza and were instant friends for that cruise.

Never had the old pizza (although goats cheese and Calzone sounds good) but the new pizza is really good for a ship. Celebrity do lukewarm pan pizzas and they were just meh.

Its good when you get a thin crust as you can taste all the ingredients and its more traditional.

Most mainstream cruise lines use catering mozzarella which has a lower cheese content and full of other stuff...tbh most pizza takeouts do as well on land.

Edited by Velvetwater

I was excited when I found out that Carnival had gluten free crust pizza. I am Celiac and miss having the late night slice or even the pie.

Sadly, as it is with most gluten free bread products, the crust is inedible. I just picked off the toppings and didn't order it again.

My wife loves the new pizza. I do remember the old stuff and she agrees that it was basically a bunch of dough, too much sauce and limited toppings.

However, everyone has their own tastes and what one person likes another doesn't.

Take care,

Mike

The old pizza was inedible, IMO. It was soft, had a doughy, undercooked flavor, the cheese was tasteless, and it was just all-around nasty and bland unless you loaded it with pepper flakes (and then it was just nasty, lol). And I tried it on several different ships, too, unfortunately, so it wasn't a matter of it just being a bad cook on one ship. I love pizza, and I couldn't eat the stuff. What respectable pizza maker doesn't even brown the crust and cheese? Blech. It was worse than the stuff they passed off as pizza when I was in elementary school, and that was pretty bad.

The new pizza is awesome, especially on the Breeze, and reminds me a bit of Neopolitan-style pizza or brick-oven style. Love the quattro formaggio and the pepperoni, and the arugula and prosciutto one is very good, too, if they've sliced the prosciutto correctly.

Although my pizza-loving teen and I eat the new pizza, we much prefer the old style, and I especially liked the goat cheese. I was happy to find the old pizza still on the Elation last year.

My teen, the pizza expert, thinks that some ships make better new pizza than other ships. He was NOT a fan of the cardboard pizza on the Magic but thought it was pretty decent on Victory. So, along with differences in tastes, that might be part of the reason why opinions on the new pizza differ. Fortunately, the Magic has so many other food choices that it didn't really matter.