Carnival Liberty and insurance

ccahope

Good question but since your not going to lose any money since your being reimbursed form Carnival I doubt you can claim anything. The insurance company would also need proof you lost money. Looks like Carnival is handling this very good so far so hopefully it'll be a painless process for you. Good luck!

Good question. We are doing this exact cruise in February and now you have me thinking of that as well.

My trip insurance is free through my credit card. I can’t think of anything for which Carnival has not already reimbursed you, but then again ...

I’m parking our car for the entire trip at the airport so I doubt Carnival would reimburse for that. On the other hand, Carnival did give $150 OBC.

We’re staying at a hotel the night before the cruise since in February, you never know how bad the weather will be getting out of the Midwest. I doubt that Carnival would have reimbursed for that, and you’d probably need to buy another hotel night for the replacement cruise.

Also, what about taxi fares? Food?

I think you should grab your policy and give the insurance company a call. You’d need to supply receipts, but I would definitely look into some of these incidentals.

The bottom line is … if you are going on a replacement cruise, then you’ll need to buy these things all over again. I’m not sure that trip insurance is designed to make you “whole” in terms of this type of reimbursement, but it is certainly worth a phone call in my opinion.

If you are trying to get paid double, not strictly legal...

What law is being broken (assuming the claimant does not lie to the insurance company)?

Your relationship with your insurance company is a contractual relationship. Your right are controlled by your insurance contract. You may or may not be able to "double dip", depending on the language of your insurance contract.

That being said, I would venture a guess that you cannot double dip. As someone else has pointed out, it may be that insurance is not applicable since the trip was technically completed (for some). It may be that your insurance will get "credit" for Carnival's payments, this netting out to zero. But, as long as you are honest with the insurance company about what you received from Carnival, it will not be illegal to see what may or may not be covered.

Edited by kbanowsky

I am on the Carnival Liberty. Do I still file a trip insurance claim for trip interruption even though Carnival is reimbursing us?

OP, some trip insurance policies cover door-to-door. Therefore, some of the additional incidental expenses may very well be covered.

After you return home and look into this, it would be great if you could post what your experience was, and also the name of the insurance carrier.

Good luck.

I am on the Carnival Liberty. Do I still file a trip insurance claim for trip interruption even though Carnival is reimbursing us?

That's called double dipping. If you're reimbursed by Carnival, your travel insurance won't pay you again. Now if your clothing and personal belongings got burned up that's a different story. If you missed your flight and incurred extra costs then you would get reimbursed from your travel insurance.

How cheap can you be, this is insurance fraud if you file a claim. No wonder America has such a screwed up insurance and liability system. You fraudulently file a claim and ultimately it's the rest of us that end up paying for it!

Don't worry, it's in the news everywhere where the passengers are reimbursed by Carnival and 50% off the next cruise. The OP won't get a dime, and if the OP does file a claim, the OP could get arrested for fraud.

How cheap can you be, this is insurance fraud if you file a claim. No wonder America has such a screwed up insurance and liability system. You fraudulently file a claim and ultimately it's the rest of us that end up paying for it!

Take a Chill Pill. The OP asked an innocent question and you are all ready fretting about paying higher insurance premiums and another poster is wanting a jail sentence.

Sheeeeeees !!!!!

That's called double dipping. If you're reimbursed by Carnival, your travel insurance won't pay you again. Now if your clothing and personal belongings got burned up that's a different story. If you missed your flight and incurred extra costs then you would get reimbursed from your travel insurance.

Don't worry, it's in the news everywhere where the passengers are reimbursed by Carnival and 50% off the next cruise. The OP won't get a dime, and if the OP does file a claim, the OP could get arrested for fraud.

Oh relax! Ccahope is just asking a question. Not once did she/he say the plan was to lie about Carnival reimbursing the trip already. Sheesh.

Oh relax! Ccahope is just asking a question. Not once did she/he say the plan was to lie about Carnival reimbursing the trip already. Sheesh.

Never said the OP was going to lie. Quit reading too much into it. Common sense says that insurance companies are privy to fraud. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Take a Chill Pill. The OP asked an innocent question and you are all ready fretting about paying higher insurance premiums and another poster is wanting a jail sentence.

Sheeeeeees !!!!!

Where did someone here say that they wanted a jail sentence for the OP. You must work for the media, putting words into the story that doesn't belong there to create the mood you want. Jeeeeeez! Lots of people are in jail because of insurance fraud - which is where they should be.:rolleyes:

Never said the OP was going to lie. Quit reading too much into it. Common sense says that insurance companies are privy to fraud. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Just calling it fraud and saying she'll get arrested for fraud implies that you're expecting the OP to lie. It's not fraud if there is no deception.

Edited by aflyingbuttress

Slow down a bit on that fraud accusation. It's not fraud to file a claim for insurance as long as you do not lie to the insurance company about any reimbursements paid by Carnival. See, that "fraud" charge requires a FALSE statement. No false statement = no fraud. (But no loss = no insurance payment)

Where did someone here say that they wanted a jail sentence for the OP. You must work for the media, putting words into the story that doesn't belong there to create the mood you want. Jeeeeeez! Lots of people are in jail because of insurance fraud - which is where they should be.:rolleyes:

You can't be serious. No one here is trying to commit any fraud. OP has never made a trip insurance claim, and was just on a trip where there was an interruption. They are UNSURE of what, IF ANYTHING, they are supposed to do at this point in time. So they are asking the community at large for some guidance and help; not for information on how to defraud a company. It's a safe bet that someone on this forum has been there, done that in regards to dealing with trip interruption and might say "Save all your receipts" or "Make sure whatever reimbursement Carnival offered is in writing" etc.

Your reaction is really a mystery here. WOW! :eek:

Just calling it fraud implies that you're expecting the OP to lie. It's not fraud if there is no deception.

I implied nothing. Double dipping is fraud. Getting reimbursed for your loss by the company and then filing an insurance claim is fraud. Doesn't matter which way you want to turn it, double dipping is fraud. I love how these people claim that they are hurt and they file and collect SSI. Then they are caught barrel racing on a horse. All types of fraud going on and the responder who said insurance rates go higher due to fraud is correct.

I implied nothing. Double dipping is fraud. Getting reimbursed for your loss by the company and then filing an insurance claim is fraud. Doesn't matter which way you want to turn it, double dipping is fraud. I love how these people claim that they are hurt and they file and collect SSI. Then they are caught barrel racing on a horse. All types of fraud going on and the responder who said insurance rates go higher due to fraud is correct.

I had roast pork for dinner. It was excellent. I slow roasted it for a few hours at low temperature to cook it thoroughly. Then I glazed it with some sweet and sour sauce and put on the broiler. Sliced it up small. Just like from a Chinese restaurant. I let them marinate overnight in soy sauce.

THAT is about as relevant to this thread as anything you've shared!

First, what does SSI have to do with this?

Second, you are wrong. In order for an insurance claim to be fraud the claimant must be presenting false information, have knowledge that they are presenting false information, and be purposely intending to deceive. Submitting an insurance claim with the facts in tact and seeing what happens is not fraud. One must lie in order to commit fraud.