Give me a reason to try RCL

We have, since we started cruising about 3 years ago, always sailed with Carnival and almost always had a really good time (I say almost because there was an excursion problem on our last cruise that was really NOT Carnival's fault and they DID totally make it up to us in a very nice and totally unexpected way, so they do get points for that in my book). However, I'm not the kind of person who sticks with one thing forever and I've been poking around the Royal Caribbean website.

I don't know if it's me or if their site is being wonky, but I can't view any of the excursions and they are less than forthcoming (again, compared to Carnival) as to what kind of activities they offer daily on their ships, etc. I've heard (and I can't back this up, because I'm unable to find it on the website) that they really nickle and dime you as far as the onboard resteraunts (such as they have a nice hamburger joint, but it's not included in the price the way it would be on a Carnival ship for example) and things of that nature. So I'm not sure that as a typical Carnival cruiser (working class, not poverty stricken but not exactly middle class either) if we'd even like an RCL cruise or even fit in there because I get the impression that RCL is for "those" people. The middle class.

Which ain't us...not by a long stretch.:D

Still...I'm willing to give them a chance if I can find enough convincing reasons to do so.

Hmmm, if you have liked Carnival I would have a hard time going to Royal unless there was a very comparable priced cruise.

There are people who are loyal to royal just as others are loyal to carnival or NCL the new(er) Royal fleet are all terific ships if that matters to you.

If you like the product you have and are happy withthe ports, rooms, onboard activity etc. stay with Carnival

We are not "one of those people" We are a hardworking budget travelers and not middle class, but we prefer Royal over Carnival or Norwegian. The only thing we may purchase on the ship is a family photo or 2.So our bill isn't huge when our trip is over.

We prefer the shows over Carnivals, the food especially in the buffets, and the overall atmosphere. A couple of years ago we gave our kids (all young adults 22-27) a choice of Carnival or Royal and they all said Royal!

We do not eat in any of the specialty restaurants as we find plenty of free food to eat. You can find a hamburger in the Windjammer (buffet) for free!

We do most of our excursions on our own sometimes just going off the ship with an idea of want we want to do and finding a tour guide or researching on Trip Advisor and booking through someone on there with good reviews.

Edited by tidygirl

The cruise I was looking at was one on the Liberty Of The Seas (did I get that right?) out of Galveston, the port we cruise out of most often since it's only about a 5-6 hr drive away from our home near Dallas.

CanadaRob--the cruise I was looking at and comparing to CCL was very similarly priced, a little higher than we're used to but still well within our typical budget. I was trying to get an idea of how much the excursions would cost, but again..the site was being wonky so I wasn't able to do that.

tidygirl--we don't typically eat in the specialty restaurants either..it's just not our thing. We ain't fancy people and it's hard enough to get my husband to wear a polo shirt to dinner instead of a teeshirt. While wearing a clean, non ripped teeshirt and "church jeans" (aka dark blue rinse, pressed) to dinner on CCL is totally acceptable (especially here in TX) I wasn't able to find out what kind of dress code (if any) there was for the main dining room on RCL. And it was hard for me to tell which restaurants the Liberty of the Seas had from the PDF because the names of the joints were waaaay on the left and I was having a hard time keeping track of where I was and scrolling waaaay to the right where Liberty was listed.

I have also heard (and maybe y'all can confirm/deny this) that if you want to go to one of the nightly shows you MUST MUST MUST reserve a ticket like way way in advance or you ain't even getting in the danged theatre. :confused: Truth or fallacy, y'all?

... I have also heard (and maybe y'all can confirm/deny this) that if you want to go to one of the nightly shows you MUST MUST MUST reserve a ticket like way way in advance or you ain't even getting in the danged theatre. :confused: Truth or fallacy, y'all?

There are no advance reservations for shows on Liberty. All the shows are first come, first served.

they are less than forthcoming (again, compared to Carnival) as to what kind of activities they offer daily on their ships, etc. I've heard (and I can't back this up, because I'm unable to find it on the website) that they really nickle and dime you as far as the onboard resteraunts (such as they have a nice hamburger joint, but it's not included in the price the way it would be on a Carnival ship for example)

There are several reviews here with the daily Cruise Compasses posted, that lists all the activities. The MDR and buffet are always included in the price, if you CHOOSE to go to an upcharge restaurant, you will pay more. The burger joint is Johnny Rockets, if your ship has breakfast there, it is free. Otherwise, for lunch and dinner, you pay a service charge, 5.95?? and can then eat all the burgers and fries you want. The milkshakes DO cost extra, if you want them. I have never felt nickel and dimed, I was fully aware of what things cost before I chose to buy them. Good luck, keep up your research.

I wasn't able to find out what kind of dress code (if any) there was for the main dining room on RCL.

From the website- the SUGGESTED dress code at dinnertime.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women.

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

You will only spend as much as you choose to, no one is going to force you to go to a pay restaurant, or buy alcoholic drinks, or book excursions that are more than you want to pay.

As for the website, yes it can be trying at times.

I suggest you go to the Roll Call for the cruise you are looking at, and see what the people who are going on the cruise are discussing, as to tours/excursions.

Y'all have a good time whatever you decide.

Lots of great information over on the ports of call section of CC about the different ports. Do some research and book your excursions yourself and save a lot of money vs booking direct through Royal.

Liberty is a great ship and a great first choice for a cruise on Royal.

Agree, 100%. I wouldn't let the ship's excursions convince me whether or not to try a ship.

From the website- the SUGGESTED dress code at dinnertime.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women.

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

While these are the suggestions they are pretty loose. The only items not allowed are shorts, flip flops, and sleeveless tops (men only) - even this is not even enforced all the time. My DH often wears a t-shirt or polo shirt with 'church jeans' just as you described. He will add a sports coat if we eat in a specialty and he wears a suit or tux for formal night. Also bear in mind that the buffet is always casual/shorts allowed so We sometimes take that option if we get back to ship late and don't want to re-dress for dinner.

I'm sure you will have a great time :)

We have never felt we were obligated to buy anything, we purchase what we want. I can't compare Carnival to Royal Caribbean but we have enjoyed all our cruises with them. The crew have been wonderful shows for the most part entertaining. We have not sailed on the larger ships like the Oasis or Allure but have been on the Liberty of the Seas and several Radiance Class ships. A cruise is what you make of it and if you go in with an open mind you should have a wonderful time.

We have, since we started cruising about 3 years ago, always sailed with Carnival and almost always had a really good time (I say almost because there was an excursion problem on our last cruise that was really NOT Carnival's fault and they DID totally make it up to us in a very nice and totally unexpected way, so they do get points for that in my book). However, I'm not the kind of person who sticks with one thing forever and I've been poking around the Royal Caribbean website.

I don't know if it's me or if their site is being wonky, but I can't view any of the excursions and they are less than forthcoming (again, compared to Carnival) as to what kind of activities they offer daily on their ships, etc. I've heard (and I can't back this up, because I'm unable to find it on the website) that they really nickle and dime you as far as the onboard resteraunts (such as they have a nice hamburger joint, but it's not included in the price the way it would be on a Carnival ship for example) and things of that nature. So I'm not sure that as a typical Carnival cruiser (working class, not poverty stricken but not exactly middle class either) if we'd even like an RCL cruise or even fit in there because I get the impression that RCL is for "those" people. The middle class.

Which ain't us...not by a long stretch.:D

Still...I'm willing to give them a chance if I can find enough convincing reasons to do so.

If it fits your budget I say give it a try! There will be things you like better and things you won't but I think you will still have a great time. Be adventurous:D We like both Carnival and Royal and choose which one fits our needs/wants. Our upcoming trip is on Navigator of the Seas because my son requested "the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean" for his (early) graduation present.

If you can afford to go on a cruise you are in the "middle class" and sorry to burst your bubble but are also considered one of "those people" by the folks who can't take a vacation at all let alone consider being able to go anywhere if their jobs did offer paid vacation time. Because what you do then is pick up a temp job and work it while on vacation from your primary job.

I sail primarily on Royal but do also sail on Carnival and Princess. How to compare. First (and I don't mean this in a snotty way) the people will feel slightly different on Royal. Carnival always seems to me to be a younger crowd and a little more "party?ish". I know, that's not a word but not sure quite how to describe the difference. Although I don't do shows, Royal's are probably better. Food in the MDR might actually be slightly better on Carnival and the food at the pool area is better on Carnival. However, the buffet on Royal is definitely better.

Now, the major difference: Loyalty program. This will not matter much to you on your first couple of cruises but if you cruise a few times the benefits on Royal far outclass anything that we get on any other line. The really big break for most is Diamond level (about 10 cruises in a regular room). At that level lots of discounts and benefits including free cocktails for a few hours every night. Does wonderful things to your bar bill.

OK, these are my observations and feelings and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me.

Hope which ever cruise that you decide to take that you enjoy it and have a safe carefree cruise.

I find RCI's website pretty easy to navigate and intuitive. You're curious about what shore excursions are available on your cruise? From the Royal Caribbean homepage, click "The Experience" and then click on "Shore Excursions." Here's a direct link to save you the time. From there you can search excursions by port of call, by region, by ship and sail date (you may want to use this one since you have an exact itinerary picked out) or by tours that are handicap accessible.

Want to know what specialty restaurants are on Liberty? From the Royal Caribbean homepage, click "The Experience" and then click on "Our Ships." You're then taken to Royal Caribbean's Fleet page showing each class and each ship in the RCI fleet.Click on the page for Liberty and voila. Again, here's the direct link. From there you can look at deck plans, read more about the ship, including what specialty restaurants are onboard. Again, I'll save you the time. Here's what's onboard Liberty in the way of specialty restaurants. * = items are priced a'la carte and ^ = the venue charges a cover

Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Parlor*

Cupcake Cupboard*

Chops Grille^ (Steakhouse)

Portofino^ (Italian)

Johnny Rockets^* ('50s style diner serving burgers, fries and the like)

As maureencruiser mentioned, Johnny Rockets charges a cover and you can have all you'd like. The cover doesn't include milkshakes, which are priced out separately.

And heck, here's the complementary venues too:

Rembrandt/Michelangelo/Botticelli (MDR)

Cafe Promenade (Sandwiches & Pastries)

Sorrento's (Pizza)

Windjammer Marketplace (Buffet)

That's what I told DH but he's kind of a brand loyalist when it comes to certain things. One of his big concerns is that RCL won't be as well...kind (I suppose is the right word) to us as CCL has been concerning our son who has Asperger's (aka high functioning autism) and some other special needs that always make ANY vacation (land or sea) kind of..well. Not tricky to put together, but we have to be careful in how and what we plan because we have to be able to prepare our son adequately for any thing new he might be doing/experiencing an upcoming trip no matter where we're going.

That's good to hear...my husband is one of those people who will show up an hour before the show to get a good seat if he thinks it's gonna be pretty full. LOL

The larger ships, Oasis, Allure, Quantum, have show reservations. I've not been on Liberty OTS, but I haven't seen any thing like that on the other ships in the fleet. It is a good idea to arrive 20 to 30 minutes early for the show to get a favorite seat, but you can usually find 2 together somewhere right up till curtain time.

As a previous poster mentioned, Royal's loyalty perks are better. We just made Diamond (80 nights) and now get $250 off a balcony or up plus a free cocktail party every night from 5 to 8 pm. I'll make Platinum on my next Carnival cruise (75 nights) and I will get 3 free bags of laundry each cruise.

The average age may be a few years older on Royal, but I've seen people of all ages on both lines. The decor is is different and the mood music is different, that probably has some influence on the "feel" or atmosphere of the ship. Carnival is flash and mirrors, Royal is wood and indirect lighting. Carnival plays Hotel California at dinner, Royal has a string ensemble. You get the idea, I think.

I don't care for formal nights and I dress up as little as possible. On Carnival I'm comfortable in a Polo shirt even on "formal" night. On Royal, I have gone without a tie on Elegant Night, as they call it, but I did feel under-dressed. A tie won't kill me and I'll probably take one on our next Royal cruise on Oasis OTS next Feb.

In the meantime, we have a back-to-back-to-back coming up on Carnival Freedom on November 28 through Dec 19. I'm not taking a tie with me on that cruise.

In the meantime, we have a back-to-back-to-back coming up on Carnival Freedom on November 28 through Dec 19

Oh I envy you! While the Freedom has not been my favorite ship so far, getting away during the crazypants time of late Nov/early Dec would be heavenly. :)

The larger ships, Oasis, Allure, Quantum, have show reservations.

I don't think they'll be bringing their larger cash cows to Galveston..it would be nice but I don't think it's gonna happen sadly. I'm sure the Liberty OTS is fine though.

Hubs is not convinced. Another one of his "issues" is that he doesn't want to go backwards as far as loyalty program points. Right now we are at 34 days sailed with Carnival and really, the loyalty program (IMO) kind of sucks donkey butt.

garnetpalmetto--when I was on the website earlier and I clicked on the link to view the excursions, the page got stuck on a little circle thing going round and round for over 5 minutes, which is when I was like, "Oh nuts to this!":mad:

No worries, I can understand - the site is slow from time to time but hopefully those direct links will help. Also, once you book your cruise you can see specific excursions from your Countdown to Cruise page (sort of your cruise dashboard).

That's what I told DH but he's kind of a brand loyalist when it comes to certain things. One of his big concerns is that RCL won't be as well...kind (I suppose is the right word) to us as CCL has been concerning our son who has Asperger's (aka high functioning autism) and some other special needs that always make ANY vacation (land or sea) kind of..well. Not tricky to put together, but we have to be careful in how and what we plan because we have to be able to prepare our son adequately for any thing new he might be doing/experiencing an upcoming trip no matter where we're going.

RCI is pretty understanding of people on the spectrum. Our cruise on Oasis next month will actually have a decent sized contingent from Autism on the Seas and, in fact, Royal was the first cruiseline to be certified as the first autism friendly line and all of their youth staff on all ships are trained in autism awareness ("silver certified" - comparatively, Carnival is just "bronze certified" meaning that there are autism friendly products and services in place) You can read more about what RCI has available for people on the autism spectrum here.

One of my grandchildren has Asperger's. My daughter has taken him on both Carnival and Royal. Both seemed to work out well. He seemed to enjoy the kids program on Royal.