Rooms with bunks

SthrnCruiser

Called and spoke with a RCCL rep today. We are looking at taking our first family cruise next May. We have 2 teenagers. Looking at getting a room w/a bunk option vs getting 2 adjoining rooms. The rep described the bunk option and said that the bunk sort of is over the main bed and not the pullout couch like I thought it would.

Anyone stayed in a room like this? Anyone have pictures?

FYI - We are looking at most likely Freedom for this.

Called and spoke with a RCCL rep today. We are looking at taking our first family cruise next May. We have 2 teenagers. Looking at getting a room w/a bunk option vs getting 2 adjoining rooms. The rep described the bunk option and said that the bunk sort of is over the main bed and not the pullout couch like I thought it would.

You know your family's dynamic, and it plays into a decision like that.

That being said, four people in a regular cabin is a lot IMO. Especially if the teens are nearly adult size people. It's true that the bunks come down from the ceiling, and can be put away in the daytime freeing some space.

The bigger issue I think will be having enough personal space to move about and be comfortable. Also having four people sharing one bathroom/shower might be troublesome. Regular cabins are generally less than 200 square feet, which is smaller than most people's bedrooms. And that space includes your bed, closet, a couch, the bathroom and the vanity.

I've cruise with four adults who shared a regular cabin, none we're pleased with the arrangement. Unfortunately I didn't get pics.

If I were in your situation, and I could swing the cost, I'd do the adjoining rooms.

Edited by DarthGrady

We have done 4 in an interior and while it is tight, it is doable - we were hardly in the cabin anyway. If you are in an interior, both bunks pull down from the ceiling. If you are in a balcony, I think one would be the couch and the other would be a Pullman from the ceiling. Attached are some pics of what you can expect. ImageUploadedByForums1442116545.699816.jpg.e6a55eeeba993e69213805d11dc78a78.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1442116531.328946.jpg.21a0551475028ef399c4301f74919ab2.jpg

We have done both ways, it can be done but having two cabins will be the best $400 you ever spent. Just cruising with my wife there have been times I wished we had two cabins :D

You said they were teens, put them across the hall in an interior cabin, that should get you close to that $400 back.

Thanks for the responses.

It would be a balcony room. So that last picture is what we would be getting.

I'm leaning toward the 2 adjoining rooms. But hubby may say differently. Right now that's about a $400 difference.

Our very first cruise in 2008 was in an inside with 4 people. My wife and I are not small people, full size and then some, and our daughter and her BFF, 17 and 18 are regular size teenage girls. We hardly saw the floor for the girls clothes everywhere.

With a balcony you have some more space and the bunks are positioned better if you have the configuration in the bottom picture. We had no real issues with the available space as long as everyone takes turns and no one gets freeky if someone sees them in their undies. I closed my eyes a lot with the BFF. :eek:

If you're going to hole up in the cabin for the week, it'll be tight, but typically you'll be out and about-- eating, using the pool and hot tubs, playing trivia or scrapbook class, eating, watching the belly flop contest, eating, attending the art auction, eating, drinking...

You'll have to leave notes for where to meet to find each other. You will have the balcony space too if someone needs quiet time. The couch-bed may be made up into a couch in the daytime and the upper berth should be put up into the ceiling. That helps make the cabin feel more roomy.

The 4 of us had no problems getting by in the close quareters. Of course, the 4 of us had been traveling the pervious 2 months in an RV, with my FIL, my other daughter and her 2 kids. After 8 in an RV for 2 months, 4 in an inside cabin for a week was a breeze.

We have done both ways, it can be done but having two cabins will be the best $400 you ever spent. Just cruising with my wife there have been times I wished we had two cabins :D

You said they were teens, put them across the hall in an interior cabin, that should get you close to that $400 back.

It could be even cheaper to go with the balcony and inside cabins.

Using next May 1st Freedom sailing as an example it would be much cheaper to book a balcony and inside than to have four in one balcony.

The reason being is to have four in a balcony cabin one would have to have a minimum Cat. E1 at $1013 for the first two passengers and $699 for the third and fourth. There is also a X gty for $959 each for the first two passengers that would get them that Cat. E1 but again the third and fourth passenger cost is $699 each and their cabin would be an assigned one.

With a balcony and inside one could book an E2 for two at $947 each and a Cat. L, M, N or Q all at $598 each.

The only thing an E1 offers over an E2 is that the E1 can accommodate more than two and RC charges a premium for this.

The E2 and inside would save $334 over selecting an E1 for four or $226 if one went with the X gty for four which wouldn't allow them to select their cabin when booking. Going with an E2 for the parents and an inside for the kids would allow cabin selection, two bathrooms, balcony access for all, almost twice the living space and a lot more privacy for both the parent and kids.. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

Please take a look at two pairs in a special configuration, unique to Voyager and Freedom class ships. On the Freedom of the Seas, the cabin numbers are 9696 & 9701, and 9396 & 9401. They are a balcony cabin with a connecting door to an interior.

fr_deck09_v2015_may.gif

Using next May 1st Freedom sailing as an example it would be much cheaper to book a balcony and inside than to have four in one balcony.

The reason being is to have four in a balcony cabin one would have to have a minimum Cat. E1 at $1013 for the first two passengers and $699 for the third and fourth. There is also a X gty for $959 each for the first two passengers that would get them that Cat. E1 but again the third and fourth passenger cost is $699 each and their cabin would be an assigned one.

With a balcony and inside one could book an E2 for two at $947 each and a Cat. L, M, N or Q all at $598 each.

The only thing an E1 offers over an E2 is that the E1 can accommodate more than two and RC charges a premium for this.

The E2 and inside would save $334 over selecting an E1 for four or $226 if one went with the X gty for four which wouldn't allow them to select their cabin when booking. Going with an E2 for the parents and an inside for the kids would allow cabin selection, two bathrooms, balcony access for all, almost twice the living space and a lot more privacy for both the parent and kids.. ;)

Holy Crap! Now that's how you respond to a post...

We always booked a balcony with an interior cabin close by for teens. We did the bunk over the main bed. Mint was ok, but anyone tall or larger sized would prefer a bed. And bathroom space is also a big factor. I vote two cabins and if close is an issue, get two interior cabins.

Holy Crap! Now that's how you respond to a post...

54747421.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Right now I am not getting DH to see that 2 rooms is the way to go. He says $400 is $400 and isn't wanting to spend it. But we aren't ready to book and I'll work on him.

I asked him about a balcony/inside room option and he doesn't want the kids with their own entrance w/o us being able to get there too (like with an adjoining door).

Thanks for the responses. Right now I am not getting DH to see that 2 rooms is the way to go. He says $400 is $400 and isn't wanting to spend it. But we aren't ready to book and I'll work on him.

I asked him about a balcony/inside room option and he doesn't want the kids with their own entrance w/o us being able to get there too (like with an adjoining door).

You can get a key card to their room, and if it's right across the hall, it wouldn't be too different than an adjoining room. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You can get a key card to their room, and if it's right across the hall, it wouldn't be too different than an adjoining room. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I think it's more of if they were adjoining, we'd have that door open and be able to hear if they leave. If they are across the hall, not as easy.

I think it's more of if they were adjoining, we'd have that door open and be able to hear if they leave. If they are across the hall, not as easy.

Would suggest if you want connecting cabins that you book soon. Those cabins sell out quickly.

Not sure of the ages of your kids, but sounds like your husband has concerns about them ...... I am sure they would be fine, but make sure you have a strict talk with them and the rules you expect. Ship does have a curfew. Security will take them back to their room if they are out past curfew without you.

Also when and if you book make sure of the terminology you request/use is understood by the agent. Connecting cabins are usually those with an inside connecting door that can be left open so that you can go from cabin to cabin on the "inside " like a hotel room. Adjoining cabins to many people mean next or in very close proximity to each other.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Would suggest if you want connecting cabins that you book soon. Those cabins sell out quickly.

Not sure of the ages of your kids, but sounds like your husband has concerns about them ...... I am sure they would be fine, but make sure you have a strict talk with them and the rules you expect. Ship does have a curfew. Security will take them back to their room if they are out past curfew without you.

Also when and if you book make sure of the terminology you request/use is understood by the agent. Connecting cabins are usually those with an inside connecting door that can be left open so that you can go from cabin to cabin on the "inside " like a hotel room. Adjoining cabins to many people mean next or in very close proximity to each other.

Thanks for the terminology tip. I'll remember that.

Our son will turn 14 the day after sailing and our daughter will be one month from turning 12.

Not sure of the rules, but with a 13-year-old and an 11-year-old (age the day of sailing is what is used) you may have to book you in one cabin and your husband in the other should you decide to go with two cabins. You can switch keys, or get extra keys, when you board. RC does not check on where passengers sleep. Keep in mind though you could be in different muster/lifeboat stations. Not something anyone wants to consider, but something to be aware of.

Have done 4 in a cabin many years ago with the bunk/Pullman setup. Definitely doable, but very tight, especially with one bathroom. The guys could shower at the gym but it is still hard storage wise.

Would definitely recommend two cabins if the price is not that much different.

Not sure of the rules, but with a 13-year-old and an 11-year-old (age the day of sailing is what is used) you may have to book you in one cabin and your husband in the other should you decide to go with two cabins. You can switch keys, or get extra keys, when you board. RC does not check on where passengers sleep. Keep in mind though you could be in different muster/lifeboat stations. Not something anyone wants to consider, but something to be aware of.

Have done 4 in a cabin many years ago with the bunk/Pullman setup. Definitely doable, but very tight, especially with one bathroom. The guys could shower at the gym but it is still hard storage wise.

No need to book an adult in each cabin. Just as long as the cabins are next to or across from each other you can book the kids in their own. You do, however, need to call to have this done. You cannot do it online yourself. The only advantage, as pointed out by some on these boards, is by having and adult in each cabin you get to bring on 4 bottle of wine (2 per cabin with an adult)!!

To the OP, yes if possible get 2 cabins. We have done 4 in one for many cruises, but once our oldest got to be a teen started doing the 2 cabins and have never gone back. Yes 4 is doable but very tight.

That was my plan, 1 adult booked in each room.