Tarquinia area recommendations

CathyCruises

We arrive at FCO at 9:20 AM on a Thursday, and our ship departs Civi at 5 PM on the Saturday.

My plan is to rent a car at FCO, drive to Tarquinia, stay two nights and return the car close to the port. I've found a beautiful inexpensive hotel there. I know there are ruins in Tarquinia, and I want to go to Bagnoregio. My question is, what else in the area is a must see? Don't want to go as far as Siena as we've spent a lot of time there already, been to Montepulciano, etc. What about Ostia Antica? Orvieto?

We'll have two and a half days and I want to maximize it. Any suggestions?

Roman friends took us to Viterbo, a town about 40 minutes north of Civitavecchia. It has a stunning medieval town centre and was a complete surprise. The town also has some buildings designed by Mussolini in an art deco style.

Nice to hear. I am staying in an air bnb place in the medieval section of Viterbo a week before my cruise.

Orvieto pairs well with Civita di Bagnoregio, if you are looking to combine things. It's a pretty town, great cathedral. I'm not so much of a shopper, but others love the pottery there.

The two can be done together on a day trip. Well worth the visit. Do Orvieto first then Civita di Bagnoregio on the way back.

If you want a great experience for lunch, go to http://www.isetteconsoli.it/en/

Ostia Antica is wonderful. Think Pompeii without the crowds. It is about one hour from Tarquinia, but very close to FCO. If you are not too tired when you arrive, you could go Ostia first before going on to Tarquinia to your hotel.

This applies to anywhere you go: Always make sure that nothing is visible inside the car. Don't put anything in the trunk and walk away from the car. Someone might be watching and break in. Plan ahead and put things away before you get to wherever you are going. Then simply lock the car and casually walk away without giving the impression there are things in the trunk or car.

Also close to Tarquinia (one hour) is the peninsula of Monte Argentario with two interesting towns: Porto Ercole and Porto Santo Stefano.