Steak

Tennessee Titan

So round steak and swiss steak aren't steak?? What about flank steak? Skirt steak? I've also seen eye of the round steaks and tri-tip steaks. Do they count?

Did you not see my handy link to the cow-shaped cuts o' beef chart? ;) Other than "Swiss Steak," which is typically a pounded out piece of round, the rest of the cuts on your list are regular beef cuts. Rounds are often roasts, particularly bottom rounds.

Flank steaks are a tad tough and are usually marinated. Skirt steaks are tougher still.

I don't know what's happened to education in modern day America. When I was a wee little shaver, we learned "reading, writing, and rendering meat." Also math, science, and grammar. Some punctuation, too. :D

You are correct , sirloin is a buck or two cheaper than strip loin.

My meat market makes a big market in strip loins, often $5.99 a pound on sale every couple weeks.

Someone mentioned round steak, I don't consider round steak to be a grilled dinner steak, it is very very tough. I've never seen it on a steakhouse dinner menu. My meat market crisis cross cuts round steak and sells it as Swiss steak, suitable for crock pot or oven roasting at low temperatures to tenderize. It still needs pounded and crisscross cut prior to cooking.

Wherever you live, it would be worth the flight cost to me to get it at that price:eek:. Are you absolutely sure you are talking about the right cut?

Been a very looong time since I saw a strip steak priced so low in Boston area. Average is about $12.99/pound.

Strip steak (USDA Choice) is about $10 at restaurant wholesale. I'm a bit skeptical of the $5.99 loss leader strip steak from the market that has strip loin as its least expensive steak though. ;)

That's an insanely low price for strip steak.

It is likely a loss leader sale price to bring people into the store.

Is this actually the price for individual steaks? or does it require you buy the whole strip? Our butcher does sell them at this low of a price (sometimes even lower during off season)... but you're buying a large amount of meat that they cut into individual steaks for us (we ask for 1.5" thick ones). They then grind up whatever is left into ground beef for us. Individually sold steaks are much higher in price per pound.

Not sure what a tri tip is. Terminology varies.

It's a bottom sirloin cut that comes from muscle that controls the cow's back leg. It's triangular in shape, which is where the steak gets its name. You might see it on menus as a culotte steak, particularly in steak salads.

Is this actually the price for individual steaks? or does it require you buy the whole strip? Our butcher does sell them at this low of a price (sometimes even lower during off season)... but you're buying a large amount of meat that they cut into individual steaks for us (we ask for 1.5" thick ones). They then grind up whatever is left into ground beef for us. Individually sold steaks are much higher in price per pound.

The local meat market sells whole strips at 5.99 per pound every 2-3 weeks as a summertime loss leader, I kid you not.

How do you think cruise lines buy their meat? They are not paying retail prices for individual steaks. Strip loins are not high end meats.

36cabf67218ba0d7d52710f830a43df2.jpg

Sorry about the width of the graphic. The strip steak is, quite literally - and I mean it - the second most expensive cut after the tenderloin, or filet mignon.

I'm just a sucker for charts in the shape of animals. Except at dessert time, when I prefer pie charts. :eek:

Great chart.

Very inclusive and lots of information.

POA.... Seeing you are somewhat familiar with New England, do you know why we can't get tri-tip without special order from butcher? I never see it offered in market meat displays.

Great chart.

POA.... Seeing you are somewhat familiar with New England, do you know why we can't get tri-tip without special order from butcher? I never see it offered in market meat displays.

It was called Culotte Steak at our local butcher in Kennebunk. I think that's what it's called at Sid Wainer's in Bedford, MA. It wasn't a typical grocery store cut up by us - and Maine is certainly not cutting edge beef territory. ;)

I think it needs a good 24 hour marinate and it's definitely best at medium rare or less. The meat really toughens up as it gets past medium. (I know that you don't like overcooked beef, but I'm trying to write something that makes sense for everyone.)

Great chart.

I'd never even heard of it until we moved to California.

Of course, once I left New England I could no longer find "Scotch Ham" ;)

It was called Culotte Steak at our local butcher in Kennebunk. I think that's what it's called at Sid Wainer's in Bedford, MA. It wasn't a typical grocery store cut up by us - and Maine is certainly not cutting edge beef territory. ;)

I think it needs a good 24 hour marinate and it's definitely best at medium rare or less. The meat really toughens up as it gets past medium. (I know that you don't like overcooked beef, but I'm trying to write something that makes sense for everyone.)

Just in case someone wants to go to Sid Wainer's...it is in New Bedford, not Bedford.

The local meat market sells whole strips at 5.99 per pound every 2-3 weeks as a summertime loss leader, I kid you not.

How do you think cruise lines buy their meat? They are not paying retail prices for individual steaks. Strip loins are not high end meats.

You still have not answered my question. The wording you use implied (as I suggested) that this is the price for an entire strip. That means 10-15 pounds purchase required to get that price. My butcher does that. However if you want just 2 steaks you're paying double. The 8oz strip is currently on sale at 5.99 each.

You still have not answered my question. The wording you use implied (as I suggested) that this is the price for an entire strip. That means 10-15 pounds purchase required to get that price. My butcher does that. However if you want just 2 steaks you're paying double. The 8oz strip is currently on sale at 5.99 each.

So sorry, I thought I did. My meat market sells whole strip loins for $5.99 a pound, sale seems to run every two or three weeks during the summer months. If the whole strip is ten pounds the price is just under $60.00.

Bulk pricing can not be compared to individual when you're comparing costs. You've compared eggs to apples here. Everyone else has been talking about cost per pound at per steak pricing.

Actually I posted the meat market price I've seen for strip loin, others posted comparison pricing.

Actually I posted the meat market price I've seen for strip loin, others posted comparison pricing.

I think you've lost sight of the fact you claimed it was the cheapest cut. You'd have to compare the price of an entire strip to an entire tenderloin or other cut. Butchers don't sell those typically though, so you have to stay in the normal pricing. What does that same butcher sell it for per steak?

I think you've lost sight of the fact you claimed it was the cheapest cut. You'd have to compare the price of an entire strip to an entire tenderloin or other cut. Butchers don't sell those typically though, so you have to stay in the normal pricing. What does that same butcher sell it for per steak?

Yes I misspoke saying strip loin was the cheapest cut of steak.

Jumping in kind of at random, but the steak prices in my part of the country (mid-atlantic) have gotten to be so expensive with such hit-or-miss quality that I've switched over to duck breast for my red meat. I've also given up expecting a decent quality steak in a restaurant.

So sorry, I thought I did. My meat market sells whole strip loins for $5.99 a pound, sale seems to run every two or three weeks during the summer months. If the whole strip is ten pounds the price is just under $60.00.

Most people aren't out there buying a whole strip loin. It's a 22 to 27 pound hunk of meat - without the bone.

New cow chart!

http://www.beefboard.org/library/files/BeefCutsGuide.pdf

The four most eaten steaks or cuts of beef in my family are, in the order of tenderness not taste:

Filet Mignon (either end of the tenderloin is ok just cut/prepared differently)

Prime Rib (roast) or Rib Eye steaks

Strip Steaks

Combination Strip and Tenderloin bone in steaks (T-Bone or Porterhouse).

I buy whole primal cryovac packages and almost always get what is marked U.S.D.A. "choice" but usually manage to get pieces that run more towards PRIME than SELECT.

I cannot imagine how you could ruin a tenderloin unless you cook it to death, same goes for prime rib roasts or rib eye steaks.

I have learned over the years that one of the most important factors in how "tender" a STRIP STEAK turns out is how it is cut. There are always the last two or three steaks on the one end of a strip that start to get iffy (this is very obvious when cutting your steaks ) and go to the grinder. On a ship I imagine those two will make it to the grill and onto a plate in either the MDR o the PG.

So for every 11 or so really tender perfect strip steaks there will be 2-3 others that don't really make the grade. If you get one of these send it back.

ps. A good dry aged piece of CHOICE will almost always out flavor a fresh cut chunk of PRIME. At least mine do. LOL.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans