Recent Glory cruisers st. marteen time vs. ship time

novellaherman

We will be on the Glory on April 5, 2006 visiting St. Marteen. I need to know was the boat time the same as island time. I am trying to book an excursion and I need to clarify the time. Daylight savings gos into effect 4/2/2006 So basically if anyone has recently traveled it would be the same time schedule now as it would be after April 2. That sounds confusing.........but I think I have it right.

novella

I had the same question. We're on Glory east in Feb. So at that time Fla. will be eastern standard time and St. Maartin will be atlantic time. All the answers say that the ship will be on island time. Hope they're all correct as I have the same situation- trying to coordinate a tour.

I've been on the Glory 4 times in the past 14 months and have never changed my watch from ship's (EST) time on any of them. They are always big on making sure that you keep your watch set to ship's time rather then watching the island clocks. I am leaving on the Glory again in 2 weeks (do you get the idea that I LOVE this ship?!). I'll verify and check back in when with the answer when I get home on 10/23.

You guys will have a BLAST!!!

Favorite thing...well, how 'bout thingS! First, the pool area is built like a stadium or movie theater setting with multiple seating decks tiered. Mean you always get a breeze and can always see what's going on around you on the entire deck. And, they have the coolest darn rocking chairs in that area that you will ever see on a ship.

The lunch buffet area is WONDERFUL! They have a regular buffet (American, Italian choices, etc), a Chinese buffet where they are cooking the noodles, soup, etc the entire time, a NY style deli, the grill with hotdogs, burgers, steak sandwiches, and chicken breasts (don't miss the sauteed onions & mushrooms at the end of the line), and a FAB pizza place that makes the most delicious goat cheese and mushroom pizza you will ever eat (you may have to wait for them to make it because they don't normally keep a lot of it sitting around...but the 7 or so minutes is definitely worth it). The other lunch restaurant area that you don't want to miss - and many people do - is the fish & chips grill. When you're in the lunch buffet area, take the stairs up by the dessert lines. You don't see the F&C place from the outside because of the tinted windows. I don't have my ship layout here but it you want specific deck directions, I can post those tonight.

The ship is very light and comfortable. It is easy to get around. I know there's some other stuff that I need to tell you guys about but let me think on it. :) OH! Make sure that you buy some of the chocolate covered strawberries at the cake/ice cream shop on the ship. They are out of this world and only $3 for 5. They usually sell out of them by Thursday so try 'em early.

Do you have any other specific questions about the ship or ports? I'll be happy to answer what I can.

You guys who picked the Glory for your first cruise picked the cream of the crop in my opinion.

A couple other things that I thought of...there are 2 dining rooms on the ship - the Golden Dining Room which is midship just off the purser's lobby and the Platinum Dining Room which is at the back of the ship. I have found that the Golden Dining Room is where you want to be. If when you get on the ship, you find you're assigned to the Plat. just go to the maitre'd in the Gold right after you board and ask to be switched. If you wait until after the first night, you may not be able to switch. There are a couple reasons that I like the Gold better. First, it is the "smooth" room. The Plat sits over the propellers and you will feel vibrations from the mechanism. It is not always present but is there more often than not. Open seating breakfast and lunch are served in the Plat - it not an issue for a short meal other than that you will notice it. The reason the open seating meals are served there is because of the view - the back end of the dining room is all windows. But, at night, it is dark and there isn't a view anyway! The second reason I like it better is because dinner is served 15 minutes later than the Plat. It just gives you that much extra time to not have to rush. The Gold is where the officers' tables are. If you are in the Plat and can't move to the Gold, it won't ruin your trip or anything...it's just that the Gold is more comfortable.

The next thing is THE secret of cruise ships. If you find yourself having a hard time finding a deck chair (it's harder on sea days than on port days), go up to the topless deck. There are tons of unused deck chairs up there - one, because most people don't know it exists, and two, because people think they will find a lot of topless people there. I have NEVER seen a topless person on the Glory. If you get up to the Sports Deck and can't find the stairs to the topless area, ask a crew member. Now don't go telling everyone about that - we don't want it to be too crowded! :)

Also, it gets windy on deck so you'll want to bring something to help hold your towel on the chair. I used to take big clothespins but I came across the most wonderful thing...it's called a "toweltrap". I got one at Margaritaville but they don't sell them anymore so I ordered some directly from the guy that makes and sells them. He has a website - www.toweltrap.com. These are PERFECT! btw - I called the 800 # rather than ordered through the web. If you order through the web I think he has to call you anyway.

Man, you all have me even more excited about this cruise in 2 weeks! ENJOY!!

Beach4me - I will ask this question here too since you are so great in giving us wonderful info - so if you have seen this sorry for the double post - since you have been on the ship 4 times recently, were any of those to the Eastern Iten? Here's my question, how many ships can be in port in St. Maarten before they have to start tendering? I know, not something some one would usually pay a lot of attention to (unless you are one of the ones tendering :p ).

Do you have any other favorite secret spots? I heard about the ones forward on decks 6, 7, 9, and 10. Were any of those better than another one, or all pretty much the same?

Hmmm ... I know there are more questions ... hehe :D OH yeah - at the cake and pasty place do they have carrot cake? My DH loves good carrot cake .. although I am sure that even bad carrot cake could be good :rolleyes:

Thanks again and please keep the info coming ... I am trying to feed a cruise bug here!!!

Don't hold me to this, mikayla, but I know that at least 4 ships can dock in St. Maarten - and it may be 5. I'll check that out on the 10/15 cruise I'm taking on the Glory and will post the answer when I get back. I'll try to post it no later than that Sunday. I've been into St Maarten 3 times on this run and have never had to tender. The ship arrives early (8:00) and is usually either the first or second in to port. I read another post about having to tender but the only time I have heard of that happening to a Carnival ship is when the itinerary had to be changed due to weather and they were in port on a non-scheduled run. I don't know if that's what happened to the other cruiser or not.

When the ship docks, there is a shopping area right at the pier that is very, very good. In fact, I think the Little Switzerland at the pier has a better selection than the one downtown. I've stopped shopping in town, in fact. So, if you have a trip booked - or just catch a cab to a beach (which is what I do), don't fret about not getting downtown for 'good' shopping.

Another one of my favorite places on the ship is the deck area around deck 3 (lobby deck). There are doors in the front part of the purser's lobby that get you out onto the deck. In fact, that is the deck that you will enter the ship on when boarding. I like it because there are always deck chairs there, it is covered (sometimes I just have to be out of the sun), it is the most quiet deck area on the whole ship, and you get a nice view off the side of the ship. The lobby bar is right there too so you can just pop in and get a drink if you'd like. I've never seen drink service on that deck - not a hot spot for the waiters, I guess.

Carrot cake?! YES! Like 8 or 9 inch high carrot cake and it is goooood. So is the chocolate cake they have there. I can't remember but I think the cake is like $2.50 a slice. It's funny but I find myself skipping dessert in the dining room and buying something out at the pasty place almost every night. They make milkshakes there too. I like to sit in that area of the ship even if I'm not eating something for the pastry place. The seats are comfortable, they have huge windows, and it's a fun place to people watch.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. I could talk about the Glory forever.

• 3 months later...

I found the toweltrap website, and ordered two. When I was at the pool on the Conquest last March, it was ssoo windy, I couldnt keep my towel on my chair when I wasn't lying on it, and this will do the trick. Havent tried it out yet, just got it today, but I will in March. Another dilemma solved.

I assume that you are sailing on a Sunday (the day after DST goes into effect). If that is the case the islands and US East coast are on the same time so I don't think that you will have to worry about it, but

all of the island tour operators know when the ships get there. They will be there when you are, the bigger problem is making sure that you get back on time , but SXM is a large airport and if you miss the shup you should eb able to catch up pretty quickly.

Beach4me - I will ask this question here too since you are so great in giving us wonderful info - so if you have seen this sorry for the double post - since you have been on the ship 4 times recently, were any of those to the Eastern Iten? Here's my question, how many ships can be in port in St. Maarten before they have to start tendering? I know, not something some one would usually pay a lot of attention to (unless you are one of the ones tendering :p ).

Do you have any other favorite secret spots? I heard about the ones forward on decks 6, 7, 9, and 10. Were any of those better than another one, or all pretty much the same?

Hmmm ... I know there are more questions ... hehe :D OH yeah - at the cake and pasty place do they have carrot cake? My DH loves good carrot cake .. although I am sure that even bad carrot cake could be good :rolleyes:

Thanks again and please keep the info coming ... I am trying to feed a cruise bug here!!!

I think that the new pier can accomodate at least four and maybe six ships.

Beach4me and all others. I am taking in all of the information that I can about the Glory. Just booked today for the 3/25 sailing. This will be my first on Carnival and 2 of the ports. Any ideas or info on excursions. I usually like to take one from a local instead of the ship. More fun!! I am behind on my usual research. So I am looking for any and all info and suggestions.

Love to cruise. This will be my 14 (I think). Started a long time ago and things just seem to slip my mind. Anything fun in the evenings? Love to hear more about the secret spots that you were talking about or even other threads.

Sailing away soon!!

• 3 years later...
I've been on the Glory 4 times in the past 14 months and have never changed my watch from ship's (EST) time on any of them. They are always big on making sure that you keep your watch set to ship's time rather then watching the island clocks. I am leaving on the Glory again in 2 weeks (do you get the idea that I LOVE this ship?!). I'll verify and check back in when with the answer when I get home on 10/23.

I agree, we love the Glory, last year after reading several reviews we picked the Glory for our first cruise and we just loved it. We will be there again next month and just can't wait. I love your information in this thread, it just makes me happy to see others in love with the Glory as well.

Sam

While it is true that St. Martin is in the Atlantic time zone (GMT -4), the island does not observe daylight saving time. Since Florida does, the time on board Glory when you board in Port Canaveral will be the same as on the island.

We were in St. Martin January 31'st. The new pier wasn't anywhere near complete yet. The old pier looked like it could accommodate four large ships. Only one other ship was in port with us that day.

Archived