Glory vs Valor vs Splendor

lmccray

Glory 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Valor 7 Day Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya

Splendor 7 Day Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya

I've only been on Royal Oasis, Majesty and Freedom ships to Bahamas, Eastern and Western Caribbean. Really want to go on a 8 Day cruise on Navigator to Labadee, San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten but the BOGO 50% rate is out of price range. I also have been looking at royal vision going to the same itinerary as Valor/Splendor and royal is much higher.

Could someone give me their opinions on these carnival ships and comparison to royal. Valor/Splendor ports I've never been but St Thomas I have.

Thank you

I'd go with the Glory. I've been on that exact same cruise and loved it. Half Moon Cay is gorgeous. It is always an eye catcher for me, when it shows up on an itinerary. I really enjoyed San Juan too. The forts are interesting and rather picturesque perched high up overlooking the Caribbean. So, you've done St. Thomas. Me too, many times, and it's one of my favs, but last time my wife and I did the tour of St. John just to see new scenery. You might also consider this. Cruise Bay, on St. John, is a nice little port town with shopping, if you enjoy that. Trunk Bay is picture perfect as a beach can be, if you enjoy beaches. As for Grand Turk, a lot of folks seem to love it, but it isn't for me... just another cookie cutter cruise line operated tourist trap. But then, if you enjoy lounging by a really big pool and sipping drinks all day, at Margaretville, perhaps you'd like it. There are a couple of nice beaches there too, though the one by the pier gets very, very crowded and the ship blocks out the view of the ocean. I'd suggest one a little farther away from the ship.

The Glory isn't in the same class with the Oasis, in regard to size and amenities, but she is a fine ship, just about the right size for my tastes. I have cruised RC once, on a smaller ship, the Majesty of the Seas, and honestly, to me the food is slightly better on Carnival. That may, or may not, matter to you, but there it is just in case.

I'm not a huge fan of the Western ports, with the exception of Cozumel. I always enjoy the town of San Miguel on Cozumel, a short taxi ride from the pier Carnival uses most often. They sometimes use the pier right in San Miguel. That's a bonus when that happens.

Hope this is of help to you.

Edited by Towel Critter

Thank you for your opinion and things to do. I just want to relax and take in the scenery.

I'd go with the Glory. I've been on that exact same cruise and loved it. Half Moon Cay is gorgeous. It is always an eye catcher for me, when it shows up on an itinerary. I really enjoyed San Juan too. The forts are interesting and rather picturesque perched high up overlooking the Caribbean. So, you've done St. Thomas. Me too, many times, and it's one of my favs, but last time my wife and I did the tour of St. John just to see new scenery. You might also consider this. Cruise Bay, on St. John, is a nice little port town with shopping, if you enjoy that. Trunk Bay is picture perfect as a beach can be, if you enjoy beaches. As for Grand Turk, a lot of folks seem to love it, but it isn't for me... just another cookie cutter cruise line operated tourist trap. But then, if you enjoy lounging by a really big pool and sipping drinks all day, at Margaretville, perhaps you'd like it. There are a couple of nice beaches there too, though the one by the pier gets very, very crowded and the ship blocks out the view of the ocean. I'd suggest one a little farther away from the ship.

The Glory isn't in the same class with the Oasis, in regard to size and amenities, but she is a fine ship, just about the right size for my tastes. I have cruised RC once, on a smaller ship, the Majesty of the Seas, and honestly, to me the food is slightly better on Carnival. That may, or may not, matter to you, but there it is just in case.

I'm not a huge fan of the Western ports, with the exception of Cozumel. I always enjoy the town of San Miguel on Cozumel, a short taxi ride from the pier Carnival uses most often. They sometimes use the pier right in San Miguel. That's a bonus when that happens.

Hope this is of help to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Been on all 3, but sailed Glory prior to 2.0 upgrades. Valor is our favorite of the 3, but I would choose Glory now because of the added upgrades/options. One feature of Splendor I loved is the retractable roof above lido deck pool so pool and Dive In movies can still be enjoyed when the weather is bad. Splendor is rumored to have a great spa area though I never used it. As for ports, grand Turk is a really easy and enjoyable beach day right off the ship at Margaritaville. Never visited Amber Cove. GT is favorite of the Glory itinerary. Cozumel is my favorite of the Western for culture, people, shopping, food and excursions. Never visited Costa Maya and Belize and Roatan I would be fine if I never visited again. However, many will disagree and absolutely love those ports. Guess it depends on what is more important to you--ship or ports. See when dry dock is for Splendor and Valor in relation to your sailing for what ship offers more.

We did the Eastern itinerary on both the Valor and the Splendor. I have such great memories of the Valor because it was our first Eastern and we loved the ports. Both are great ships. Where/when are you sailing? The Splendor has the retractable roof, which I thought I would hate but learned to love it. On cooler days/nights the roof would be closed and it stays nice and cozy in there, especially for the night movies. Otherwise the wind whips you and you need a towel as a blanket. We enjoy watching the movies from the hot tubs at night and this was easier to do on the Valor. It's still possible on the Splendor but they're located one floor up from the main pool so you can see but not really hear the movie. Due to no roof, the Valor has a more open feel around the pool decks. The other areas of the ships are similar.

I'm not sure if the Valor has the 2.0 upgrades now but it didn't when we were on it.

We were on RC Independence of the Seas and I agree with the other poster...the food was better on Carnival but I loved the beautiful ship! Both are great lines to sail with and offer a VERY similar product.

We enjoyed Costa Maya and there's lots to do in Cozumel. We did a fun cave tube and zip line in Belize.

Good luck with your decisions. There's really no wrong choice.

Glory twice, Splendor thrice :D, Valor never.

My favorite was the Splendor, without a doubt, but all the itineraries on the Splendor were on the Mexican Riviera, so can't comment on the current itineraries these ships are currently taking.

We Really enjoyed Carnival Glory, & Really enjoyed Carnival Valor...Neither of us has been on the Carnival Splendor & recently read a comparison with the Glory & Carnival Splendor & they said the Splendor wasn't anywhere equal to the Glory. So we would rate them:

The Percentages represent Cruise Critic Member Ratings

76% 1. Carnival Glory ... More Food Choices

80% 2. Carnival Valor

69% 3. Carnival Splendor

:):):):)

Glory all the way. Has the 2.0 upgrades that include Guys Burgers, blue iguana cantina and alchemy bar. All 3 are our favorites and decide on a ship only if they have these.

I've sailed RCCL's Navigator of the Seas and really liked it, but I like carnivals eastern itinerarys more and the cost is better.

Splendor will be upgrading to 2.0 in March 2016. I booked the March 20, 1016 cruise and the rep informed me the ship is being renovated and the Western cruise on the 20th will be the first cruise after the renovations; new, clean staterooms as well! I cant wait!

I did this same itinerary on the Dream with a girlfriend back in 2012. The food was yuuuccckkk. This time we are paying for my sister as a birthday present and cost was a factor, thats why I chose Carnival again.

But point is, don't count out the Splendor, 2.0 is coming next March!

Like the Glory a lot

Loved the Splendor and since they are getting the upgrades soon, I would choose the Splendor.

Also, the Splendor has a retractable roof over the pool, in the case of bad weather.

Also, on the Splendor, if you hate smoke there is a SEPARATE smoking section AWAY from non-smokers.

Edited by champagne123
ggggg

Have sailed all three, I would choose the Eastern Caribbean and the Glory.:) I prefer the stadium seating around the main pool area vs the Splendor which felt to closed in plus the hottubs where indoors. Nicer beaches in the Eastern Caribbean.

Have sailed all three, I would choose the Eastern Caribbean and the Glory.:) I prefer the stadium seating around the main pool area vs the Splendor which felt to closed in plus the hottubs where indoors. Nicer beaches in the Eastern Caribbean.

Did you never go "aft" ? There is another pool outside....:eek:.....open air, with hot tubs.

My wife and I and some neighbors are considering going on the Splendor in January or February 2016. Sounds like the upgrades won't be there yet, but the ports of call are what is drawing us to that cruise. We've been on the Conquest and Valor, but it's been several years. Should we consider something else then since it's getting ready to be upgraded? How would they upgrade it so quickly and have it ready for March 2016 if it's still in rotation in January and February?

My wife and I and some neighbors are considering going on the Splendor in January or February 2016. Sounds like the upgrades won't be there yet, but the ports of call are what is drawing us to that cruise. We've been on the Conquest and Valor, but it's been several years. Should we consider something else then since it's getting ready to be upgraded? How would they upgrade it so quickly and have it ready for March 2016 if it's still in rotation in January and February?

I believe it is only out of the water for 2 weeks in March. Adding most of the 2.0 upgrades, I've read elsewhere but not upgrading the waterslide.

I'm going next October! We will know everything by then!:)

Glory 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Valor 7 Day Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya

Splendor 7 Day Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya

I've only been on Royal Oasis, Majesty and Freedom ships to Bahamas, Eastern and Western Caribbean. Really want to go on a 8 Day cruise on Navigator to Labadee, San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten but the BOGO 50% rate is out of price range. I also have been looking at royal vision going to the same itinerary as Valor/Splendor and royal is much higher.

Could someone give me their opinions on these carnival ships and comparison to royal. Valor/Splendor ports I've never been but St Thomas I have.

Thank you

The Glory and the Eastern Caribbean gets my vote.

• 3 weeks later...

While I love HMC and GT, I would avoid any itinerary that includes Amber Cove. My very 1st land vacation in the DR was in Puerto Plata, which is the main resort area/town near Amber Cove. I hated it. Ugly gray Atlantic Ocean water, coarse yellow brown sand. I've gone back to the DR maybe 10 times since, and I thoroughly enjoy Samanna, LaRomana and Bayihibe, and many times to Punta Cana my favorite.

So that leaves Valor and Splendor. Toss a coin with identical itineraries. Valor is more Farkus in your face and Splendor is purple hued. What ever you fancy......