Regal Upsell Offer - Is it worth it?

Kaibocan

My DH & I are booked on regal in a deluxe balcony room with one of the angled balconies. Today I received an upsell offer to move to a mini suite for $199 per passenger. I do not know the location of the mini suite, I have to call them tomorrow morning.

Excuse my ignorance but I've never been offered a upsell before and I don't know if this is a good deal or not. According to the princess website, the Regal is sold out for this cruise.

It depends on a lot of things.

You did not mention the length of the cruise. $199 for a 7-day cruise is different than $199 for a 17-day cruise.

Also the itinerary makes a difference. A larger cabin is more important on a cruise with a lot of sea days.

It depends mostly on you. Do you spend a lot of time in your cabin?

Go ahead and call them tonight and leave them a message. They will call back in the order they receive the messages. They may offer the upsell to more people than they have upsell cabins available. If you don't act fast, you may not get it.

They will probably offer you a specific cabin - possibly a choice of cabins. You will need to make a decision immediately. I don't expect them to let you think about it and call them back. What is important to you? Do your research on the ship and have the deck plan in front of you when you are talking with them. Your balcony may not be as nice, but the room would definitely be larger.

It depends on a lot of things.

You did not mention the length of the cruise. $199 for a 7-day cruise is different than $199 for a 17-day cruise.

Also the itinerary makes a difference. A larger cabin is more important on a cruise with a lot of sea days.

It depends mostly on you. Do you spend a lot of time in your cabin?

Go ahead and call them tonight and leave them a message. They will call back in the order they receive the messages. They may offer the upsell to more people than they have upsell cabins available. If you don't act fast, you may not get it.

They will probably offer you a specific cabin - possibly a choice of cabins. You will need to make a decision immediately. I don't expect them to let you think about it and call them back. What is important to you? Do your research on the ship and have the deck plan in front of you when you are talking with them. Your balcony may not be as nice, but the room would definitely be larger.

It's a 7 day cruise, with only one sea day

If you are interested, I recommend you look at the Princess website to compare the cost of different mini-suites to the cost of your specific deluxe balcony. You can't do this for your cruise if it is sold out, but you may be able to do it for a later cruise on the same ship with a similar itinerary.

Depending on the exact deluxe balcony you have booked and on the exact min-suite you would be booking, the upsell offer does not appear to be a bargain. The difference in list prices may even be less than $199.

Before you talk with Princess, make sure you know which specific mini-suites - if any - you would be willing to pay that much more for and which ones you won't.

I don't believe you will be able to negotiate the price for the upsell. They need to make an upsell to someone, since they probably oversold deluxe balconies and undersold mini-suites. It may even be a ladder - upsell someone from a mini-suite to a full suite, upsell you to the mini-suite, upsell someone else to your deluxe balcony. They will keep making offers until they find someone to take it. However, I would not expect them to make you a second offer if you turn this one down. If they improve the offer, I believe it will probably go to someone else.

Just make you own decision. Would you rather have the mini-suite? And is the price worth it to you?

According to the princess website, the Regal is sold out for this cruise.

In case you are wondering how this happens, Princess is most likely trying to upsell as many passengers as they can to unassigned higher-category cabins before they assign guarantee passengers their cabins. In other words, why give guarantee passengers free upgrades when they can sell them to those who want them?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

It's a 7 day cruise, with only one sea day

You have a larger balcony & probably would get a smaller balcony with a minisuite. If I was in port 6 of 7 days then I wouldn't pay an extra $398 per couple & would use that money to pay for other things during the cruise.

However as NavyVeteran said "Just make your own decision" about what's best for you & not what's best for anyone else.

If you are interested, I recommend you look at the Princess website to compare the cost of different mini-suites to the cost of your specific deluxe balcony. You can't do this for your cruise if it is sold out, but you may be able to do it for a later cruise on the same ship with a similar itinerary.

Depending on the exact deluxe balcony you have booked and on the exact min-suite you would be booking, the upsell offer does not appear to be a bargain. The difference in list prices may even be less than $199.

Before you talk with Princess, make sure you know which specific mini-suites - if any - you would be willing to pay that much more for and which ones you won't.

I don't believe you will be able to negotiate the price for the upsell. They need to make an upsell to someone, since they probably oversold deluxe balconies and undersold mini-suites. It may even be a ladder - upsell someone from a mini-suite to a full suite, upsell you to the mini-suite, upsell someone else to your deluxe balcony. They will keep making offers until they find someone to take it. However, I would not expect them to make you a second offer if you turn this one down. If they improve the offer, I believe it will probably go to someone else.

Just make you own decision. Would you rather have the mini-suite? And is the price worth it to you?

Just tried to book another week but the entire month is sold out for this cruise. So I had to do a mock booking for 2016. The mini is about $700 more per person than what we paid for our cabin according to the mock booking. Still, my husband tends to think its not worth the $199 ea. since its a port intensive cruise. I just keep thinking about that bathtub and the extra room. :( I called and left a message so we will have to be ready with a decision in the morning. Thank you all very much for all the input.

I wouldn't trade a larger angled balcony for a tub. One of the reasons we sometimes book minis is to have room to spread out and a sofa for comfortable seating inside on sea days. The deluxe balcony cabins have the love seat which worked well for us. The showers on the Regal and Royal are larger with definitely "unfriendly" shower curtains. With the deluxe balcony cabins on the Regal and Royal we have essentially no reason to book minis on the two new ships.

We were booked in a regular mini-suite on the regal and were offer a upset to a owner's suite for 199.00 each.I grabbed in a second,however,owner suites are located aft with the possibiity of soot in the cabin.

long cruiser

Now that's a deal. We are in an Owners Suite this and next December. But not because we received an upgrade offer. [emoji12]