Big Oasis of the Seas Review with Photos, Tips & What to Avoid

Oh my gosh, I bet you guys are right and it was some weird fat free/sugar free/everything free version made for Solarium! Well, if you count that out, we didn't have a single bad experience with food on board for 7 days - all wonderful except the ranch confusion. Thanks guys!

Wolfgang - our best cruise friends of all time were the two Canadians we met last year on the Breeze (see our review - they're in half the pictures)! We keep in touch and hope to cruise with them next year. The Liberty sounds right up our alley - definitely worth checking out. Also, I totally agree that it's just luck of the draw in terms of your fellow cruisers. In 8 cruises we never had a problem, so I think we just got unlucky. There also might be the complicating factor of Oasis's size possibly bringing out the worst in some who don't do well in crowds or something.

Oftheseas - we've done 3 RC now, so does that make us gold? I'm unsure. Our Seapass cards were yellow.

Bill - that pizza looks amazing! 10 minutes would be totally worth that.

Big thanks Lioness, FLACruiser, Ken, SeaUs, douknowme and especially Flacplnj!

Charger - we lived in Copperfield but moved to NC in 2012 where we built our home. I need to change that spot on my bio. We miss Texas and definitely Texans!

Rance - I totally agree. As an attorney, I can say they'd run into some legally challenges in the US. It's so sad and HAS to contribute to the crew happiness. In fact, I think they handle it much better than I would.

Really agree with your similar point Sheehan. Even though we were generally dissatisfied with service, we tipped the full amount because we know the crew relies on those wages. It's sad that some people don't realize that or care.

I loooved your review!

You are the type of person I would have so much fun with on a cruise and would want to be friends with on land. You and your husband make the cutest couple and seem like nice down-to-earth folks who truly appreciate the blessing of being able to cruise to such beautiful carefree destinations taking nothing for granted. Thanks so much for all of the tips and scores! LOL Barbie's got nothing on you and I mean that in the best possible way. :)

You missed out on access to Coastal Kitchen since you were in a suite!! Best food in the ship!!

Was on the ship last week and didnt encounter any rude folks.. There were 2,500ish guests from abroad onboard. IMO anytime there are 6,000 people in a confined space rudeness can be found anywhere. Im sure theres rudeness on all lines!

And our experiences with the staff were polar opposite of yours.

Sounds like you had fun though, maybe try a Freedom class next time if you give RCL another shot.

We will be on the Oasis in two weeks for a cruise we booked about a year ago. We always do traditional dining but very early on we were assigned My Time Dining, maybe when the Dynamic Dining crashed and burned. We tried and tried to change it but never did manage to. Now we are scheduled for MTD with reservations for the same time every night. I'm trying to be optimistic and hope that this will make it as close to traditional as possible.

Great review by the way. I love those pictures of you guys on the Flowrider, too funny! :D

We will be on the Oasis in two weeks for a cruise we booked about a year ago. We always do traditional dining but very early on we were assigned My Time Dining, maybe when the Dynamic Dining crashed and burned. We tried and tried to change it but never did manage to. Now we are scheduled for MTD with reservations for the same time every night. I'm trying to be optimistic and hope that this will make it as close to traditional as possible.

Great review by the way. I love those pictures of you guys on the Flowrider, too funny! :D

chances are excellent that you can change to traditional when you board. Just go to the dining room (Not sure which floor). There will be others doing the same

Lincoln - it sounds like you're a lot like us! But you did better than us by getting a consistent time all week. I think you'll find that a lot like traditional dining. You can get the same service team each night & can even ask them to save your table for you at your time if you want. We did that and say with the same sweet Eqyptian family each night at the same table by the window. If you're in American Icon, I think you'd really like Albert and Katherine - they were fantastic!

TheMastadon - seriously couldn't agree more: 6,000 strangers in any tight space is going to bring out the rudeness in many. I don't fault RC for that in the least. You're so right. Also to clarify we weren't in the suites. I'm pretty sure our cards were gold but I'm not positive - it was our third RC cruise if that helps.

Dep - have fun!! You guys will have a blast I'm sure! Eat a dessert or two for me!

Last but not least, Dees - thanks for all the sweet words. We can cruise together any time!

We were on the same week as you and after reading your review I think I agreed on almost all points! Check my post because I also felt the staff were not happy. We didn't feel the crowds as much as it seems you may have. I felt it was hot and filled with too many obnoxious people in the Solarium. But like my post said, turning up the volume on my mp3 works. The people oh the people.....the "chunks and lumps" as I call them. I'm far from a 10 and I cover up as much as I can. I wear shorts over my bathing suit and I'm still not exactly comfortable. I absolutely LOVE looking at the "chunks and lumps" and I say that lovingly. I find people who squeeze their bits into strong bikinis inspiring. The squishy, jiggling parts make me smile. I wish I could find that self love or is it oblivion? Either way....love it.

Thanks for your review. Being a Canadian....we are definitely polite and fun!

Oh, we also found rude people on this cruise too. I didn't notice it in terms of race or culture but just piggish people who clearly didn't care about others. It's very hard for me to keep my cool and I did. Except once when I told a woman and three children that they were being loud and that it wasn't very observant or polite of her to sit and play cards loudly in the central park cafe when there were people waiting for tables. ;) Her answer....just as obnoxious as her behaviour.

Your review was great to read.

You also handled obnoxious people on here well-- although I find that Americans (in my experience) tend to be pretty bad when I'm overseas.

A few thoughts-- you should try out Liberty. It's an awesome ship and not quite as big-- the staff was really fantastic on my recent 2 week B2B.

Also, I feel that the loyalty program on Royal is great-- you (and I) both just haven't achieved the higher status yet, but looking forward vs. carnival, Royal wins here.

I have done ships with 2000-4500 passengers. Can't imagine 6000 but it looks as though there is so much to do! I think that when I finally get to this class, I will likely go for the ship, not ports.

We sailed the same itinerary on Oasis last November and LOVED it. But the rudeness of the other passengers? You nailed it. I could deal with most all of the rudeness except when it came to the elevators. Good grief!!!! Let us out please haha. It really hit home when an older Vet in a scooter said he had been trying to get off for three straight round trips. No one would move, assist or clear a path for him. We joked he was the new RCL Elevator Man. My sister and I stayed on the elevator to make sure he was able to get off at his destination and he did.

Next cruise? 18 days and counting for Oasis Eastern :)

Geez, some people just can't handle having someone disagree with them and try to turn it into a personal attack. But hey, that's the internet for you. There were some facts that the OP had wrong. She said what she thought based on her observation, which is fine. I've done the same and people called me on it, too. Rightfully so. For the most part, I try to offer information as to why it was wrong or what might be done in order to help others reading this who might have the same problem.

As for expressing opinion, when people generalize other cultures, especially when someone assumes a person must be "not American" because they speak a different language or dress a different way, it tends to be a sensitive subject for me. There are rude people all over the world, but without going into details, I happened to know my rude people examples were American because they identified themselves as such very loudly at various opportunities.

Just to be helpful if anyone reads this far, in the last two weeks of August some/many states are already back to school. This cuts down on the number of US families on the cruise.

For the most part I try to be helpful, but if you can't deal with someone who puts facts before feelings, there is always the block option.

Geez, some people just can't handle having someone disagree with them and try to turn it into a personal attack. But hey, that's the internet for you. There were some facts that the OP had wrong. She said what she thought based on her observation, which is fine. I've done the same and people called me on it, too. Rightfully so. For the most part, I try to offer information as to why it was wrong or what might be done in order to help others reading this who might have the same problem.

As for expressing opinion, when people generalize other cultures, especially when someone assumes a person must be "not American" because they speak a different language or dress a different way, it tends to be a sensitive subject for me. There are rude people all over the world, but without going into details, I happened to know my rude people examples were American because they identified themselves as such very loudly at various opportunities.

Just to be helpful if anyone reads this far, in the last two weeks of August some/many states are already back to school. This cuts down on the number of US families on the cruise.

For the most part I try to be helpful, but if you can't deal with someone who puts facts before feelings, there is always the block option.

The "FACT" that you started your review pointing out spelling mistakes was off-putting and rude. It wasn't a necessary "Fact" that deterred from her perspective.

In re-reading YOUR original post, I will say that you are probably correct about the closet and the welcome back party-- both could have been solved differently. It's always better to let them know about problems on the ship-- as an early riser, I find this is ALWAYS my best option for guest services. There are times during the day when it's not too crowded.

I wonder if the poor staff attitude you had was due to the number of non-Americans. As a culture, we tip, it is ingrained. That isn't the case around the world.

I imagine the staff on the Oasis class ships sailing out of the US are taking a major hit in the pocket book since it is drawing international passengers at such a great number.

If someone has MTD (as the OP did) then the tips were automatically charged prior to the cruise is my understanding. So I don't think that had anything to do with it. Just a guess tho. :)

Edited by Sherri914

I enjoyed the review as well and have no problem with anyone's opinion as long as it is conveyed as such. But you immediately lost creditability when you said that less than 10% of the ship was Americans. Royal Caribbean does not source out the Oasis 90% to foreigners and the executive who I repeated your comment to burst out laughing. The only reason I am posting is so no one else believes it and will post again when my contact gets back to me with the manifest statistics.

I enjoyed the review as well and have no problem with anyone's opinion as long as it is conveyed as such. But you immediately lost creditability when you said that less than 10% of the ship was Americans. Royal Caribbean does not source out the Oasis 90% to foreigners and the executive who I repeated your comment to burst out laughing. The only reason I am posting is so no one else believes it and will post again when my contact gets back to me with the manifest statistics.

Yea, that was an odd statistic. It would be interesting if you can get that information