Exercise on Allure!

mtm103

Hi all

My husband and I are going through a bit of fitness craze and don't want to stop on our 12 night cruise.. I normally do spin and we both do personal training/box/kettlebells.. Could anyone let me know what the exercise classes are like on the allure? Also if they have any kettlebells? can't really bring a 12kg with us! Also, anyone tried the personal training sessions? Any good as they are quite expensive?

Thanks all!

Not sure about the Allure, but on several of the other RCL ships I've been on I've always found the classes to be quite expensive and of hit-and-miss quality--about $85 for a personal training session and $15 or so for a cycle class. Granted, though, it's hard to get a good session from a trainer on a cruise when they have built no personal relationship or background with you. I'm maybe biased though since I teach spin classes and work at a gym, so these are things I get "for free" every day. :)

Are you going on the 12-night transatlantic on Allure in October? We'll be on that one and we are usually in the gym every day on our cruises. Find us in there--I'll be glad to give you some workout tips for free!

Are you going on the 12-night transatlantic on Allure in October? We'll be on that one and we are usually in the gym every day on our cruises. Find us in there--I'll be glad to give you some workout tips for free!

Yep, we are on that one! Can't get away with not exercising so we will definitely be in the gym. We will probably be the ones doing doing diy kettlercise classes.. I did think $85 + tip was a bit steep for a pt session, but wasn't sure how good they were (our current gym instructor is pretty amazing).. see you in there!

If you have a current trainer you are working with at your gym, here is what I would recommend: before you go, ask him/her to put together a few workout routines for you to take on your trip. You can also work with him/her to set some mini goals to accomplish while you are on your trip and then report back to your trainer when you get home. Having the little bit of accountability will go a long way in helping you stick with the routine while you are gone. I've done similar for people that I work with. See you in the gym on Allure! (My personal motivation is every 30 minutes in the gym on the ship buys me two extra desserts at dinner) :)

If you have a current trainer you are working with at your gym, here is what I would recommend: before you go, ask him/her to put together a few workout routines for you to take on your trip. You can also work with him/her to set some mini goals to accomplish while you are on your trip and then report back to your trainer when you get home. Having the little bit of accountability will go a long way in helping you stick with the routine while you are gone. I've done similar for people that I work with. See you in the gym on Allure! (My personal motivation is every 30 minutes in the gym on the ship buys me two extra desserts at dinner) :)

Good point, thanks! we will certainly do that. And I definitely like the idea of extra dessert!

When I went on Oasis last year, my triathlon coach wrote plans for me that were specific to the cruise. I ran on the track and/or treadmill and did my own strength/core workouts. On one of my Celebrity cruises I did 3 spin classes for the week which were not anywhere near as good as the cycle studio I go to. The Oasis class gym is packed full of what you need to get in some great workouts without paying personal training prices, but that certainly is your choice. Have fun and be realistic about exercise while on vacation.

Fantastic advice.

Let me also add: It's great that you are accustomed to working out with kettlebells, but ask your home trainer to teach you some routines using "regular" weights. There are lots of those on the Allure.

When I went on Oasis last year, my triathlon coach wrote plans for me that were specific to the cruise. I ran on the track and/or treadmill and did my own strength/core workouts. On one of my Celebrity cruises I did 3 spin classes for the week which were not anywhere near as good as the cycle studio I go to. The Oasis class gym is packed full of what you need to get in some great workouts without paying personal training prices, but that certainly is your choice. Have fun and be realistic about exercise while on vacation.

And Oasis class has a great running track!

Why not take advantage of the vacation / cruise ship's facilities to alter your workouts? Might do your body good to mix it up a little.

Here's ours:

We never ever use the elevators while onboard; always takes the stairs.

We usually don't use the treadmills or other cardio machines in the fitness center, including spinning/cycling classes, cut our normal weightlifting workout in the fitness center in half, & walk/run out in the open air on deck or at each ports' beaches (running on the sand), or yoga on the beach.

Take advantage of the ship's facilities: such as rock climbing, flowrider, sport courts, real stairs on the open air decks, even sweating it out in late-night disco.

Our advice is not to be too obsessive with your at-home routines while on vacation, just spend the same amount of time with alternative options onboard...

Do they charge for all classes then?

From my questionable memory yes. In 10 years ive taken ine free stretching class. In 2012 i signed up for what looked like a back pain CLASS. Turned out to be a crappy sales pitch for over priced arch supports.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

From my questionable memory yes. In 10 years ive taken ine free stretching class. In 2012 i signed up for what looked like a back pain CLASS. Turned out to be a crappy sales pitch for over priced arch supports.

It would be nice if they would mark those sales pitch "classes" with some sort of informercial notation in the Cruise Compass so people know what they are getting into.

Edited by clarea

I would recommend going to the gym shortly after you get on board and look at the sign up sheets for the various classes. They do offer a discount if you sign up for a certain number. There is plenty to do to keep up with your fitness schedule. Some people choose to spend money on drinks and specialty dining we spend it exercising.

It would be nice if they would mark those sales pitch "classes" with some sort of informercial notation in the Cruise Compass so people know what they are getting into.

Again, referencing my questionable memory, I would have called it a sham of a class when I first saw it in 2012. I thought the wording changed when i saw it in 2014 the wording seemed less class like.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Again, referencing my questionable memory, I would have called it a sham of a class when I first saw it in 2012. I thought the wording changed when i saw it in 2014 the wording seemed less class like.

Looks like they might be calling the informercials a "seminar" now. See Tim's post of a recent Oasis Compass:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47714601&postcount=326

Edited by clarea

Looks like they might be calling the informercials a "seminar" now. See Tim's post of a recent Oasis Compass:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47714601&postcount=326

Putting my message up here may preventing me from actually doing it, but I should attend one of these seminars again. I know the trick to their demo where they show you how off balance you are with the supports and how much your balance is better with them. I could let them knock me over and then say a one hour couples massage is all that will fix it. ;)